Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

7 minutes ago, cellec said:

Per an email from Vanderbilt's DGS, they had 170 applicants and will only be taking 10. Applicants will be notified of their status no later than March 3rd.

Received that email, too. They said they are hoping to have applicants notified by the week of February 20... One less program to feel mysterious about...

5 minutes ago, RevTheory1126 said:

Received that email, too. They said they are hoping to have applicants notified by the week of February 20... One less program to feel mysterious about...

Seemed like a pretty standard email but I'd figure I'd share whatever news I came across :)

5 hours ago, polisci13542 said:

Did anybody else get an email from Stony Brook for an interview? Pretty dumbfounded because I sent in my application 5 days ago

Did you see a result or some kind of other info that would make you think interviews were already being sent out? Because I don't see anything in the results page, and I don't recall anyone mentioning this...

59 minutes ago, RevTheory1126 said:

Did you see a result or some kind of other info that would make you think interviews were already being sent out? Because I don't see anything in the results page, and I don't recall anyone mentioning this...

Yeah I was just wondering because I got one. And it was weird because I only applied a couple of days earlier.

Is it normal that manuscripts stay in the "Awaiting final decision" limbo for two weeks? It has been out for review the two months before New Years Eve and I am wondering whether they are working on the backlog or whether it may be something else.

1 hour ago, polscimajor said:

How do schools choose their shortlist? By shortlist do you typically mean the list chosen with GRE GPA or the list that has actually considered your SOPs and LORs?

I suppose they analyze your Gradcafe posts and take the inverse of your carefully evaluated desperation level. :/

1 hour ago, polscimajor said:

How do schools choose their shortlist? By shortlist do you typically mean the list chosen with GRE GPA or the list that has actually considered your SOPs and LORs?

I'm sure every school (and even every adcom) does things a little differently.

3 hours ago, polscimajor said:

Yeah, from what little I understand, it basically boils down to the idiosyncrasies of individual departments... things like, how many can they take in a given subfield, how many did they take last year, what profs are available, what faculty in other subfields think about your application (and how much sway that carries with others on the adcomm), how much your POIs are willing to advocate for you...  basically lots of negotiating and compromise, in addition to your application's ability to covey academic quality and "your stats." Kinda random, yes, but also a really tough task, so I get it.

5 hours ago, Monody said:

Is it normal that manuscripts stay in the "Awaiting final decision" limbo for two weeks? It has been out for review the two months before New Years Eve and I am wondering whether they are working on the backlog or whether it may be something else.

That seems odd, might be worth following up with editor, if for nothing else than a timeline for when they plan to get a decision to you...?

Anyone starting to get pretty anxious? I was really good through the holidays and most of January [honestly didn't spent much time thinking about the applications at all] but now it feels like it's starting to get close to crunch time here and I'm pretty nervous about it.

21 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

Anyone starting to get pretty anxious? I was really good through the holidays and most of January [honestly didn't spent much time thinking about the applications at all] but now it feels like it's starting to get close to crunch time here and I'm pretty nervous about it.

Not anxious necessarily... I've had my applications in since October (had to — was out of the country with limited internet access) and have been more or less fine since then. But now I am ready to know the outcome of all that hard work and move forward to figure out what next (and start planning; I'm a planner). 

1 hour ago, tkid86 said:

Not anxious necessarily... I've had my applications in since October (had to — was out of the country with limited internet access) and have been more or less fine since then. But now I am ready to know the outcome of all that hard work and move forward to figure out what next (and start planning; I'm a planner). 

Same here practically. Given I changed some things here and there but Ive mostly been fine even though I checked my inbox quite frequently after those fake princeton acceptances came up.

2 hours ago, Comparativist said:

This was the first week I have been really on edge. Any new email makes my heart jump, especially if it has anything to do with a grad program ( eg advertisements, etc.). I imagine once I get my first notification, it will break some of the tension...

9 minutes ago, RevTheory1126 said:

This was the first week I have been really on edge. Any new email makes my heart jump, especially if it has anything to do with a grad program ( eg advertisements, etc.). I imagine once I get my first notification, it will break some of the tension...

Yes, very anxious. 

Anyone claiming the Michigan State one on the boards? Looks like they have a history of spreading their decisions out between mid-January to mid-February, so it may be real or may just another annoying troll.

Can confirm Rice University is out, I go there and my senior thesis advisor says that they've completed ranking their applicants, which means that decisions should be mostly out. 

6 hours ago, Comparativist said:

Well, I got one of the early admits, so the tension has been largely released in the house.  Mrs. changeisgood particularly, I think it was tougher on her than me.  That being said, someone else mentioned being a planner, and that's me too.  Now, I want the *rest* of the notifications to come in so I can make a final decision and go forward.  Not being able to plan ahead bugs me intensely.  Having to get a Masters Thesis written during all of this and prep for a conference (never mind my courses and TA stuff) is around to keep my mind busy, fortunately.

Can we all make a pact to post our profiles/results in the wrap-up thread when we've heard back from all of our programs? I know that past wrap-up threads have been an invaluable resource for me throughout this process, and I feel like the only way to give back is to give future applicants more data to analyze.