Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

I agree with @Comparativist that we should really refrain from calling to ask about decision dates. If the trolls know that they can get us to call departments simply by making a few fake posts, they're going to keep trolling because they'll understand that their trolling works. As others have said, I don't think any major program has ever released results without at least a few people claiming them on gradcafe. Don't feed the trolls, as they say.

1 hour ago, ugurcanevci said:

What do you think about the Berkeley entries? Troll or real? 

Yeah one of those entered their GPA as 3.21. I don't think that's realistic for Berkeley. Definitely a troll!

P.S: Kolay gelsin @ugurcanevci :D

Edited by boruchan93

28 minutes ago, boruchan93 said:

Yeah one of those entered their GPA as 3.21. I don't think that's realistic for Berkeley. Definitely a troll!

P.S: Kolay gelsin @ugurcanevci :D

I agree with everyone. I saw a fake Columbia U/ rejection post. I believe it's best not to react to postings on the results page unless one of us claim the acceptance/rejection. 

57 minutes ago, dagnabbit said:

I agree with @Comparativist that we should really refrain from calling to ask about decision dates. If the trolls know that they can get us to call departments simply by making a few fake posts, they're going to keep trolling because they'll understand that their trolling works. As others have said, I don't think any major program has ever released results without at least a few people claiming them on gradcafe. Don't feed the trolls, as they say.

Yeah, you guys convinced me. It is always better to avoid feeding trolls.

2 hours ago, correlatesoftheory said:

No, they didn't release decisions and won't for another two weeks or so. I just called. I think @RevTheory1126 is right. If no one claims anything explicitly on this board, or you didn't get an email giving you the yay or nay, then don't take it seriously.

I'd also like to point out that frequenters of this board would be wise to look at the date of decisions from the previous two cycles for whatever school it is that you're worried about, and go off of that. For Berkeley, it sounds like decisions won't go out until the end of next week at the earliest.

Thank you so much for checking. Glad I missed all of this drama. 

6 hours ago, jazzmintea said:

Berkeley can't be real. They don't notify international students acceptance at the same time they notify domestic students. It's based on my observation of previous cycles :P 

Interesting! Could you elaborate? 

6 hours ago, jazzmintea said:

Berkeley can't be real. They don't notify international students acceptance at the same time they notify domestic students. It's based on my observation of previous cycles :P 

I would argue against that looking at the survey data from the 2015 and 2016 cycles. It looks as if they notify international and domestic around the same time. 

7 minutes ago, tkid86 said:

I would argue against that looking at the survey data from the 2015 and 2016 cycles. It looks as if they notify international and domestic around the same time. 

What would be the rationale for notifying the two groups at different times?

6 minutes ago, oakeshott said:

What would be the rationale for notifying the two groups at different times?

I'm just guessing here, but I would notify international students earlier if possible, due to the amount of bureaucratic legal/immigration work they may have to undertake in addition to the logistics of moving from overseas (if not already located Stateside). Other than that? Your guess is as good as mine. 

17 minutes ago, tkid86 said:

Well, I would also add that Berkeley would accept many more domestic students than intl students. and the results page shows one domestic and two intl students (one with US degree)z the ratio is off and so it's a troll. btw the posts are gone now! 

3 hours ago, jazzmintea said:

Well, I would also add that Berkeley would accept many more domestic students than intl students. and the results page shows one domestic and two intl students (one with US degree)z the ratio is off and so it's a troll. btw the posts are gone now! 

Don't forget we are operating with imperfect (incomplete) information, as there is no way to tell how many people have been accepted (and where they are from) who aren't members of the GC community.

2 minutes ago, Quickmick said:

Don't forget we are operating with imperfect (incomplete) information, as there is no way to tell how many people have been accepted (and where they are from) who aren't members of the GC community.

I'm not 100% accurate and certain, as are many others here.  Anyway the bottom line is that those posts are trolls. 

20 hours ago, correlatesoftheory said:

No, they didn't release decisions and won't for another two weeks or so. I just called. I think @RevTheory1126 is right. If no one claims anything explicitly on this board, or you didn't get an email giving you the yay or nay, then don't take it seriously.

I'd also like to point out that frequenters of this board would be wise to look at the date of decisions from the previous two cycles for whatever school it is that you're worried about, and go off of that. For Berkeley, it sounds like decisions won't go out until the end of next week at the earliest.

I think this is kind of my new standard response. Between those of us who have been active and engaged, I'm sure we have some people who are connected with all these schools and we will get good information when it is actually available... so, that being said, is someone doesn't come into this thread with some kind of direct knowledge, I call shenanigans. I am assuming the results page is troll infested.

2 minutes ago, RevTheory1126 said:

I think this is kind of my new standard response. Between those of us who have been active and engaged, I'm sure we have some people who are connected with all these schools and we will get good information when it is actually available... so, that being said, is someone doesn't come into this thread with some kind of direct knowledge, I call shenanigans. I am assuming the results page is troll infested.

This, but I wonder how trolls choose programs. The most elaborate ones have been for Berkeley and UT Austin. 

36 minutes ago, resDQ said:

This, but I wonder how trolls choose programs. The most elaborate ones have been for Berkeley and UT Austin. 

Well, they probably just take some reputable program and hope for all of us to panic. 

btw: anybody want to claim the Stanford acceptances? FYI: stanford is not due for another couple of weeks.
If nobody is claiming it, I'll go with @RevTheory1126 and

call shenanigans.

Edited by Kenga

20 minutes ago, Kenga said:

Well, they probably just take some reputable program and hope for all of us to panic. 

btw: anybody want to claim the Stanford acceptances? FYI: stanford is not due for another couple of weeks.
If nobody is claiming it, I'll go with @RevTheory1126 and

definite troll. They could at least wait until feb. to make it a bit more believable. 

7 minutes ago, resDQ said:

They could at least wait until feb. to make it a bit more believable. 

True, but maybe by then the "window of opportunity" to really freak us out closed?/narrowed?

I - for my part - hope that by february I will be more relaxed

25 minutes ago, Kenga said:

True, but maybe by then the "window of opportunity" to really freak us out closed?/narrowed?

I - for my part - hope that by february I will be more relaxed

I think that's an excellent point. I'm more more "freakout-able" now than I will be in February... It's because it's so unexpected, these trolls are precise, selecting programs that will make us jump amidst some odd ones that make us go "huh?"... We're on to you, trolls, wherever you are!

I was pretty sure someone here claimed one of those Austin acceptances, but I am too busy to search.

Those Stanford ones are obvious trolls.

2 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

I was pretty sure someone here claimed one of those Austin acceptances, but I am too busy to search.

Those Stanford ones are obvious trolls.

the only acceptances confirmed here: UNC, Georgia, and Rice

3 minutes ago, resDQ said:

the only acceptances confirmed here: UNC, Georgia, and Rice

2 minutes ago, Kenga said:

GWU as well - friends of mine got in

Thanks for the update. I tried UNC (thought I had more chances there than with Rice, but who really knows) and OSU, which is doing interviews and I didn't get one -- I know this doesn't necessarily mean rejection, but OSU was not a perfect fit.

And then there were eleven. But with one already in the bank it is really a different experience to wait.