Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

To my wait list comrades: my sources (:ph34r:) assure me that, tyrannical yield rate notwithstanding, Harvard has accepted several people off the waitlist in recent years.

So all hope is not lost, I suppose. 

2 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

I know that this year's cohort is smaller, but I find it hard to believe only one person on here has gotten accepted. 

Others might not have claimed it yet though...

SO got in, Americanist

2 minutes ago, dih2 said:

Cohort is 24 people. Is that smaller than normal?

I'd say yes, for the size of their program. If you think a third might not accept their offer and go elsewhere due to fit or whatever...

Just now, AsymptoticallyUnbiased said:

Oakeshott reported getting a form letter for his waitlist. Did your SO get one as well or a personal POI email? Wondering whether I should give up hope if I haven't heard anything.

It seems like a form letter? He's in class, I'll have to ask later. I'm personally giving up hope. Did anyone claim an acceptance in comparative? I was at a Dr.'s appt and missed out on all the hullabaloo.

11 minutes ago, AsymptoticallyUnbiased said:

Oakeshott reported getting a form letter for his waitlist. Did your SO get one as well or a personal POI email? Wondering whether I should give up hope if I haven't heard anything.

My POI at Harvard asked me to let them know when I heard back from the committee, so I think all the e-mails are coming from the dept chair. 

Edited by oakeshott

This from the results page made me laugh, I love spirituous comments:

"Very curious how long this "very short" wait list is. If you've been accepted, don't go. Harvard's going downhill."

9 minutes ago, AsymptoticallyUnbiased said:

Last year's was 26. That pretty much exactly the matches the 4.4% drop in slots based on the GSAS funding decrease.

I thought last year was 29? Or maybe that was just allotted slots. 

17 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

Yeah, it's probably over.

Welp, that pretty much concludes the cycle for most.

I'm going to count Harvard as a rejection. That concludes my cycle. An acceptance to any program means you've had a good cycle. Worst case scenario would have been straight rejections and that did not happen to me. Very thankful.