Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

Still waiting for the official UChicago response, but wanted to share some intel I got from a student there - the cohort size has gotten much smaller in recent years (15 people in 2011 vs. 8 people in 2016) and there has been a lot of turnover in faculty. The student mentioned that there is a major hiring shift going on. I don't know the specifics, but I thought I would share in case it might be helpful to anyone (i.e. if you are attending, make sure your POI isn't about to leave!). 

4 minutes ago, ralphwiththeconch said:

Still waiting for the official UChicago response, but wanted to share some intel I got from a student there - the cohort size has gotten much smaller in recent years (15 people in 2011 vs. 8 people in 2016) and there has been a lot of turnover in faculty. The student mentioned that there is a major hiring shift going on. I don't know the specifics, but I thought I would share in case it might be helpful to anyone (i.e. if you are attending, make sure your POI isn't about to leave!). 

The cohort is only 8?!?! That's absurd!

2 minutes ago, dih2 said:

Yeah I was surprised it was so small. I don't know what that means for this year's cohort though. I can say that the student I talked to seemed to be very happy with the program

38 minutes ago, dih2 said:

34 minutes ago, ralphwiththeconch said:

Yeah I was surprised it was so small. I don't know what that means for this year's cohort though. I can say that the student I talked to seemed to be very happy with the program

Each department is different, but a cohort of 8 does not mean they only admitted 8 students. Wanted to clarify this for anyone who may be reading this thread. 

25 minutes ago, dih2 said:

Is this common among very elite programs though?

Stanford and MIT regularly have cohorts less than 10. I believe WUSTL, Rochester, and Cornell are in that range as well.

Edited by Comparativist

5 minutes ago, Jackie0445 said:

Anyone knows why Harvard has not sent out the rejection letters yet?....

It usually takes a little while. If you're eager to get one you could email Thom Wall, but at this point it is safe to assume rejection if you haven't heard back.

5 hours ago, Comparativist said:

Why is that absurd? Lots of the smaller programs have cohorts of 8-12.

for chicago, I am sure it is 8 ppl for every year phd cohort. Normally out of that 8-12 ppl, they gave 1-2 offers to CIR students.

33 minutes ago, Wongs said:

for chicago, I am sure it is 8 ppl for every year phd cohort. Normally out of that 8-12 ppl, they gave 1-2 offers to CIR students.

I can tell you that a lot of the numbers floating around here are borderline ridiculous. No DGS at any school can control the number of students that ACCEPT offers. The only number that is in their control (after dealing with the grad school and possibly others) are the number of offers ISSUED. 

14 hours ago, resDQ said:

I can tell you that a lot of the numbers floating around here are borderline ridiculous. No DGS at any school can control the number of students that ACCEPT offers. The only number that is in their control (after dealing with the grad school and possibly others) are the number of offers ISSUED. 

While this may be true, it's not completely random. After a few years, programs get pretty good at identifying how many they should accept to get x number of admitted students. So while there definitely is fluctuation from year to year; programs generally have a benchmark they like to stay at and cohort size usually stays pretty close to that benchmark.

Edited by Comparativist

10 hours ago, Comparativist said:

While this may be true, it's not completely random. After a few years, programs get pretty good at identifying how many they should accept to get x number of admitted students. So while there definitely is fluctuation from year to year; programs generally have a benchmark they like to stay at and cohort size usually stays pretty close to that benchmark.

Definitely true - though the odd year does happen where you get 5 extra people in a big cohort. I would actually argue that Harvard and Princeton's incoming cohorts are amongst the largest at 25-30, and 20-25 each, though GWU is roughly the same now that I'm thinking about it. Most programs want a smaller cohort if only so that they can tailor their mentoring without losing track of students -- at least this is what I was told, both by people at programs with small cohorts, and by people at my current institution where I'm a member of a large cohort (in the sense that I was warned I should be networking more so that I don't fall through the cracks and wind up without a close mentor...which happens apparently x_x) 

Waitlisted at Notre Dame!

Per email from DGS, ND sent out 15 offers of admission (200~ applications received), and the waitlist contains about 15 people (based on previous cycles, they believe 5 or so will be admitted from waitlist)... and as a point of reference, I was not interviewed at all.

Exciting, but confusing... more waiting I suppose.

(Sorry if this info has already been shared earlier in thread)

Is anyone still waiting for Chicago? I see both the MA students and the ones who didn't want to be considered for a masters have been sent rejection letters yet I still haven't heard anything.