Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

2 minutes ago, ralphwiththeconch said:

Congrats guys on accepting offers :) By the way, have any of y'all who chose to stay on wait lists heard any movement on wait lists? It's getting close to the deadline...

If you get off a waitlist, you most likely won't find out until shortly after the deadline on April 15. Then you'll have a day or two to consider whether you want to take up the new spot. If you decide that you do, then you'll need to contact the department where you had originally committed and request a waiver. 

At least that's what I was told by one of the schools that waitlisted me. They claim this is pretty much standard procedure. Good luck!

5 minutes ago, oakeshott said:

If you get off a waitlist, you most likely won't find out until shortly after the deadline on April 15. Then you'll have a day or two to consider whether you want to take up the new spot. If you decide that you do, then you'll need to contact the department where you had originally committed and request a waiver. 

At least that's what I was told by one of the schools that waitlisted me. They claim this is pretty much standard procedure. Good luck!

Oh thanks for this info! A day or two turnaround to decide sounds tough. Good luck to you too!

On 4/1/2017 at 4:10 PM, StrengthandHonor said:

I just accepted an offer and declined several others. I hope that helps some people who are waiting on waitlists!

I just did the same yesterday! Good luck to everyone/

Congrats to everyone sending in their decisions! I'm holding out a few more days to see if there is any early wait-list movement but if it's getting close I have an offer I'm more than happy with. Just a bit more waiting to go...

8 hours ago, nooxhc said:

I was waitlisted on my #1 and today just got the offer! So happy! Good luck everyone, stay optimistic! 

Congrats! Fingers crossed for all waitlisted comrades!

I thought I'd share some interesting info about wait lists that I learned after emailing one of my schools (though I'm not sure if this is the same across schools). It sounds like the decision and ability to pull from the waitlist depends less on the program or department, and more on the grad school. So, for instance if someone declines a seat in the Poli Sci department, the open spot doesn't necessarily go to another Poli Sci person on the waitlist; it's up to the graduate school's discretion. They may shift the open spot to, say, Anthro or Econ or another program in the same graduate school instead.

I had no idea that they did it like this (and it's probably not too comforting) but I thought it would be good to share. Regardless, best of luck to everyone still waiting!

14 minutes ago, correlatesoftheory said:

Just accepted an offer. Really excited/anxious for this!

Congratulations! To where are you going?

I've been excited/anxious for some time now. Work keeps me kind of occupied, but I catch myself thinking about next August at least once every hour.

Got MA offer from Columbia Univ. today after being rejected from PhD program. MA is without fellowship.

I am changing field and reapplying for PhD programs in another discipline this year but still, out of curiosity, does anyone know how prestigious is Columbia's terminal MA? O_O Is it difficult to get in?

I didn't get in any of the 4 PhD programs in political science I applied (Berkeley, Columbia, UVA, GWU), I assume it is bc I couldn't find a POI doing what I want to do + lack of quantitative training. I was kind of hoping this MA offer can help me evaluate how....poor/not so poor my application was. =_=

38 minutes ago, AnUglyBoringNerd said:

Got MA offer from Columbia Univ. today after being rejected from PhD program. MA is without fellowship.

I am changing field and reapplying for PhD programs in another discipline this year but still, out of curiosity, does anyone know how prestigious is Columbia's terminal MA? O_O Is it difficult to get in?

I didn't get in any of the 4 PhD programs in political science I applied (Berkeley, Columbia, UVA, GWU), I assume it is bc I couldn't find a POI doing what I want to do + lack of quantitative training. I was kind of hoping this MA offer can help me evaluate how....poor/not so poor my application was. =_=

I don't think it's worth the investment. Lack of interaction with the faculty, and one year is not enough to get strong enough letter of recommendations. You can find many other ways to evaluate how strong was your application.

14 minutes ago, ugurcanevci said:

I don't think it's worth the investment. Lack of interaction with the faculty, and one year is not enough to get strong enough letter of recommendations. You can find many other ways to evaluate how strong was your application.

Oh thanks! I don't plan to take it at all since I already have one MA. :) Also, I am changing field from Politics to History so I won't apply for programs in Political Science anymore. I was just wondering if I am leaving the field due to pure incompetence or (more or less) free will. By "evaluate" I mean "if Columbia MA is competitive and I got an offer maybe I am not that bad as a politics major " :P 

I know...it's kinda pathetic.... 

thanks for the advice anyway. I don't think it's worth the investment either. :) 

Long time lurker in the forum. I got waitlisted at Georgetown. This is what I have regarding my political science applications in the US. Does anyone know what are my chances to take myself off the waitlist and how long is the waitlist? I have seen five or six on the results page. Do you think it will help to write an email to the Director of Graduate Admissions to express my strong interest in the program? 

Many thanks.

2 hours ago, polsturkey said:

Long time lurker in the forum. I got waitlisted at Georgetown. This is what I have regarding my political science applications in the US. Does anyone know what are my chances to take myself off the waitlist and how long is the waitlist? I have seen five or six on the results page. Do you think it will help to write an email to the Director of Graduate Admissions to express my strong interest in the program? 

Many thanks.

Hi! This is my personal experience this application cycle: I did not have any firm offers until very recently, when I got off the waitlist at two different programs. I stayed in constant contact with the DGAs at these two programs (particularly with the director at the program that was my first choice), and I believe that it played a big role in eventually receiving an offer.

Seeing as it is very close to the April 15th deadline, you really have nothing to lose (and potentially a lot to gain!) by e-mailing the graduate admissions director at Georgetown. Waitlists are fluid and I think that expressing your strong interest in the program can only put you in a better position. Good luck, I hope you receive an offer soon! 

Harvard waitlist decisions are coming on Monday, so I'm sure the same is likely to be the case for other programs that only move (or mostly move) after the April 15 deadline.  

Good luck to anyone still waiting!

Edited by oakeshott

On 16/04/2017 at 4:33 AM, oakeshott said:

Harvard waitlist decisions are coming on Monday, so I'm sure the same is likely to be the case for other programs that only move (or mostly move) after the April 15 deadline.  

Good luck to anyone still waiting!

Except Harvard, what are the other programs known to move after the April 15 deadline? Thanks! 

Edited by PSapplicant