Hello, fellow undergrad/grad students,

I am a student at Arizona State University. I will be graduating next semester (Spring 2017), and I have decided to go for Grad school. After weeks of research, intospectoon, and thinking, I decided that I want to go for Petroleum Engineering in June of this year. I have been hard at work since then on my Resume, Statement of Purpose, GRE, Letters of recommendation, University selection, and other procedures. I have selected the universities I want to apply and here is the list,

1: University of Texas, Austin

2: Texas A&M University, College Station

3:  University of Tulsa 

4: University of Oklahoma, Norman Campus

5: University of Alaska Fairbanks

6: University of Wyoming, Laramie

7: Standford University

I put Stanford at the bottom because I am not sure if they would want me. So, it is just like a blind shot; I do not want not to try. Here is my UG profile:

Undergraduate College: Arizona State University

Major:                             Astrophysics

Undergraduate GPA:      3.67 (Top 10% in my class, Graduating with academic honors, Magna Cum Laude)

GRE                               328 (Verbal: 163 (92nd percentile), Quantitative: 165 (90th percentile), AWA: 5 (93rd percentile))

Research Experience:    Not exactly research, but I have many major projects under my belt. Some of them include building a rover for a well-known space organization, Studying the surface of Mars and searching for signs of water, Building a miniature spacecraft, etc

I am aware that I have a more than decent profile, but my only problem is that I am an Astrophysics major applying for Petroleum Engineering Masters and I want to know how big a problem that is going to be. I would like to inform you guys that I was a Mechanical Engineering major before changing my major to Astrophysics. So, I do have a lot of Engineering courses under my belt. So, What do you guys think? Can I get in to UT Austin?

Feel free to share your stories, profiles, and scores. I would be glad to help in any way I can. Let us help each other.

• 1 month later...

it seems prety good GRE score, I think your biggest task is ensuring the commitee believe that crosing path to petroleum engineering is the right choice. I got my undergraduate in Pet eng and will apply this faal for MS pet eng as well, If u want to discuss with me , ill be very glad to help about particular topic of pet eng

On 11/15/2016 at 6:50 AM, andrew said:

it seems prety good GRE score, I think your biggest task is ensuring the commitee believe that crosing path to petroleum engineering is the right choice. I got my undergraduate in Pet eng and will apply this faal for MS pet eng as well, If u want to discuss with me , ill be very glad to help about particular topic of pet eng

Thank You very much, Andrew. I do have a lot of questions about Petroleum Engineering. I will definitely be in touch.

13 hours ago, luisalasnjr said:

If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to go for petroleum engineering? I'm an aerospace/mechanical engineer, and I consider doing petroleum once, but ended up choosing aerodynamics. Also, have you considered University of Houston? @The Dark knight

For a lot of reasons actually. I like working outdoors and being on the field for work; I like traveling to new and exotic places; I was never really sure if I wanted to be an engineer or a scientist. So, I tried out both mechanical engineering, and Astrophysics for the past four years. I have finally made up my mind after long and hard thought process and chose petroleum engineering. Also, they money :P played a significant role in my decision as well.