My topic was "Tell us about the last book you read." and even though I had prepared something ahead of time, I was totally flustered. Another commenter said to expect being flustered, and remembering that helped me recover quickly. 60 seconds to prepare (I started jotting notes around the 30 second mark), 90 seconds to speak.

I did a good job of maintaining composure, speaking with confidence, etc. Even though I didn't think I said anything groundbreaking in my response, I got into my program!

I applied to the MIA program, and my question was along the lines of: "Tell us about a mistake you've made."

I don't think I answered in as much detail as I necessarily should have and was worried that I blew it... But was still accepted! There's definitely hope even if you don't think you answered as strongly as you could have.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just done my video essay. I was ask about which social network I like, and why.

I practiced for the video essay, focusing on timing. After a few times, I know how much information that I can talk in 90 seconds.

Right before recording, my friend asked me some random questions to warm up my speaking mode.

I think I have done well. 

• 1 month later...

Sharing my prompts a bit late, but this thread was really helpful while I was applying so I wanted to share. I applied early action and ended up getting two prompts due to a technical issue that prevented my first one from being submitted:

1. What is your time management style?

2. Describe a policy that you believe has been successful. 

• 4 weeks later...

Omg this thing was an absolute nighttttmareeeee

I live in the sticks and my wifi is horrendous, so actually my first attempt didn't do through. >< The video wasn't saved on their end and I was emailed to re-do it. Had to take off an hour from work to rush home and record again.

1) What are some major trends in your field of study?

2) How do we prevent polarization in politics? 

I think I did alright in the end and neither question really tripped me up, but the thought of having further technical difficulties was stressful. 

• 1 year later...

I was asked which SIPA professor/practitioner I would like to work with and why. 

I prepared for other questions but not this, I chose an investing professor but I dont think I did my best. Good luck all!

• 6 months later...

Hello All. I have applied to MPA-DP 2023. The prompt for my video essay: "What is more valuable: Power, fame or money? Why?"

I didn't manage the time well. I couldn't complete my answer within 90 seconds. Fingers crossed.

All the best!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

hello! i applied to MIA fall 2024, and my question was along the lines of "tell us about a time you had to use judgment during a crisis. what can we appreciate about your judgment skills?" 

Edited by cloudbusting