Hi,

I'm applying to graduate school and want to change majors from physics to CS. Most of my undergraduate work, internships and research has been in physics and electrical engineering with some programming. Since then, I've lost interest in physics/EE and want to focus on CS. What kind of advice would you give to me about explaining this in my SOP? I know that I will need to discuss my past experiences and I certainly will be doing that, but how do I do so without making my SOP seem unfocused? I fear that my application will be disregarded because I do not have adequate programming experience. Yet, there are some programs out there that will accept applicants without a strong CS background. I'd appreciate any kind advice that anyone here can offer regarding this issue. Thanks!

Focus on why you are changing majors. Try to give them honest but convincing answers. Tell them why/how you lost interest in Physics/EE and why/how you realized that CS is your passion/interest. Do not be too dramatic about it; be professional, honest, and clear. No, your application will not be disregarded because of background in a different field. They do seriously consider all the applications that pass the first elimination process. So, if your GRE, GPA, and other aspects are good, you don't have to worry about being rejected because of the major change. Give it your best shot and hope for the best! Peace!

1 hour ago, The Dark knight said:

Focus on why you are changing majors. Try to give them honest but convincing answers. Tell them why/how you lost interest in Physics/EE and why/how you realized that CS is your passion/interest. Do not be too dramatic about it; be professional, honest, and clear. No, your application will not be disregarded because of background in a different field. They do seriously consider all the applications that pass the first elimination process. So, if your GRE, GPA, and other aspects are good, you don't have to worry about being rejected because of the major change. Give it your best shot and hope for the best! Peace!

Thanks for your response. To follow up, what exactly is the first elimination process? Is that where they eliminate students purely on GRE scores and GPA?

11 hours ago, Minervarali said:

Thanks for your response. To follow up, what exactly is the first elimination process? Is that where they eliminate students purely on GRE scores and GPA?

Yes, when the number of applications is too many, they usually use cutoff GPA and GRE scores to cut down the number to a manageable level. Not to worry, though, the cutoffs are usually very low, just to eliminate the applicants that should not even be there, like a GPA of 2.5 to 3.00 with bad GRE scores and nothing to show for research, things like that.

Focus on linking your Physics/EE experiences to what you want to do in CS and only talk about those experiences which are relevant and help you tell a coherent narrative about the experiences and interests which have led you to pursue graduate school in CS. Don't apologize for anything. Don't dwell on what you didn't like about physics/EE. Focus on the positive and the future.

• 10 months later...

Hi guys;

Can anybody help me? I am a bit confused!. I have a bachelor degree in Accounting and complete my master in MBA. Now I am going to apply for Public administration in Canada for my second master. I am wondering if you could give me some idea what should I write in my SOP in order to be convincing and logic. I know the MBA and public administration overlapped somehow but I have no Idea what should I write. looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you very much in advance. 

Edited by Sam12345

Hey @Sam12345

I'm switching from anth to comm. One of the things I've done is reach out to each program I'm considering and mention that my background is in anth, what my research interests are, and if my background will be a problem. I've gotten great responses, detailed information on how their program works, who would be good as my advisor, if additional steps would be needed to bridge the gap, and even have scheduled three phone calls with different programs this week. I've already had one of these phone calls and was given information on what additional material would be good to include in my SoP (without me bringing it up) as well as details about the program, school, and surrounding area that I wouldn't have gotten from just reading the website. 

@Sam12345 My main advice would be to discuss what skills you have obtained during your previous majors that would contribute to your current focus. Now if you're looking at what skills in particular, I'm afraid I don't know anything about any of the fields you stated (I'm in the sciences), nor what classes you took and what you've done in terms of work experience either, so I can't answer that. You'll have to find out what the program entails, and see how you fit in the program (which is really what your SOP should be about anyways).

Personally, I'm going from Chem to Biochem, and the coursework is relatively similar (Chem focuses more on synthesis and Biochem more on bio). Since I have experience in a Biochem lab however,  I don't really discuss much in regards to my Chem background, and focus entirely on the Biochem lab I was in (and the skills developed there). I use only 2 sentences to discuss my change from Chem to Biochem throughout my entire SOP, and after that it's all about my lab experience. 

I also switched fields, and that became a strength in my application. I discussed questions, challenges and interests I wanted to explore, but I was limited in my current professional trigectory. The change really highlighted my unique perspective as a candidate. If you can do that at all, it can make a powerful SOP.