Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

4 minutes ago, Psych_hopeful said:

in need of a bit of advice....

is it looking like bad news the longer and longer i stay on a wait list? haven't most PhD programs sent out acceptances at this point? i'm currently my top choice's first alternate, and with each passing day i get the feeling that the initial offer potentially has not gotten any other acceptances and will ultimately take the offer. i know that it is a highly variable process and that no one has a crystal ball to tell me my fate, but this waiting game is frying my fragile nerves! 

that being said, if anyone is holding onto an acceptance at Temple and is unsure if they want to go...please turn it down! it is my DREAM to go here!!!:)

There was a girl in my lab who was waitlisted at three schools and received offers from all three in April right before the 15th. Never say never! :)

9 minutes ago, psychlife4me said:

That's the one that blew my mind too!!

Yo I just saw that! I was like seriously dude? You need to compensate that much by trolling a results page?

9 minutes ago, Psych_hopeful said:

in need of a bit of advice....

is it looking like bad news the longer and longer i stay on a wait list? haven't most PhD programs sent out acceptances at this point? i'm currently my top choice's first alternate, and with each passing day i get the feeling that the initial offer potentially has not gotten any other acceptances and will ultimately take the offer. i know that it is a highly variable process and that no one has a crystal ball to tell me my fate, but this waiting game is frying my fragile nerves! 

that being said, if anyone is holding onto an acceptance at Temple and is unsure if they want to go...please turn it down! it is my DREAM to go here!!!:)

I was waitlisted at 3 schools, was organizing my plan B and finally got my first offer from one (which I've grown to adore, especially after meeting more of the lab). Its extremely hard and deflating and I feel your pain but people do get off the waitlist even in the final stretch.

I know I am applying for MA not PHD but similar program so I thought I would share here too! I just found out I was accepted to CWU with an assistantship that covers everything!! I'm incredibly excited. It is my second choice school, but I think I will end up going here because my first choice apparently only has the funding to offer an assistantship for one quarter, which was not advertised on the website (After that it is all on the applicant). 

13 hours ago, LLsApps said:

The really strange part about the UConn post is that someone else already indicated they were accepting an offer from that same POI, which would be pretty weird and awkward if that POI had trashed all the other applicants during someone's interview... Several of the acceptances over the past day or so have named POIs that very recently accepted other posters, actually. How common actually is it to take multiple students?

The UConn post is most likely fake. I'm not sure why someone would do that (maybe trying to sabotage someone who was accepted?) but we should all be working to uplifting each other. This is a difficult process so it helps if we give each other support. 

9 hours ago, meep95 said:

I know I am applying for MA not PHD but similar program so I thought I would share here too! I just found out I was accepted to Central Washington University with an assistantship that covers everything!! I'm incredibly excited. It is my second choice school, but I think I will end up going here because my first choice apparently only has the funding to offer an assistantship for one quarter, which was not advertised on the website (After that it is all on the applicant). 

Congrats on your acceptance!! That is awesome :)

16 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

Another shout-out to UMass Boston acceptances, if you could pm me that would be great. I'm on the waitlist (female POI) and want to know if I should hold out hope.

• FYI. I spoke with DCT, who told me that all of the students selected have accepted offers of admission. Therefore, they will not be making any more offers to those placed on the waitlist.

This was on the results page for UMass. Looks like all places are taken. Sorry if you were waiting for this...

I had a question regarding accepting an offer between two choices: should I wait until I receive something in writing from the school I want to go to? It just seems weird to me to reply on a phone call before making such an important decision - and going over all the details that they will send in the mail. I, of course, want to be consciousness as possible to the other applicants, and will make my decision ASAP regardless. 

Also, does anyone know the best process of turning down an offer? I want to be polite and courteous as possible, and I liked both schools: really was a hard choice. I'm not sure if I should email the POI or the DCT...or what the best way to do this? 

1 hour ago, psychapplicant50 said:

I had a question regarding accepting an offer between two choices: should I wait until I receive something in writing from the school I want to go to? It just seems weird to me to reply on a phone call before making such an important decision - and going over all the details that they will send in the mail. I, of course, want to be consciousness as possible to the other applicants, and will make my decision ASAP regardless. 

Also, does anyone know the best process of turning down an offer? I want to be polite and courteous as possible, and I liked both schools: really was a hard choice. I'm not sure if I should email the POI or the DCT...or what the best way to do this? 

Congrats! Accept verbally if you're sure but only turn down the other offer when you get something in writing. It's not often but funky things can happen with funding and admissions committee.

Email your poi with a short but very greatful email saying that you loved the program but for you future pursuits another program aligned better.

Edited by 8BitJourney

7 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

Congrats! Accept verbally if you're sure but only turn down the other offer when you get something in writing. It's not often but funky things can happen with funding and admissions committee.

Email your poi with a short but very greatful email saying that you loved the program but for you future pursuits another program aligned better.

Thanks so much for the advice!  I'll wait then to turn down the offer, and thank you for the advice on how to communicate to the other school.

I wish you the best as well! :) 

CUNY Queens sent out invites before Christmas and my interview day was in mid/late January. I haven't seen any decision statuses at all on the results page nor on these threads. Does anyone have any info? Looking at past decisions, it seems like they tend to give notice by now..

I Received an offer today from my POI at the University of South Alabama. I will be accepting the invitation and withdrawing my applications from Seattle Pacific, Rosemead School of Psychology (Biola), and the two master's programs. I am extremely excited to be a part this lab and I feel like I hit the lottery!

5 hours ago, Wildcat Way said:

I Received an offer today from my POI at the University of South Alabama. I will be accepting the invitation and withdrawing my applications from Seattle Pacific, Rosemead School of Psychology (Biola), and the two master's programs. I am extremely excited to be a part this lab and I feel like I hit the lottery!

Congratulations! It's a great program.

11 hours ago, Wildcat Way said:

Would you mind messaging me your POI initials as I interviewed there as well and haven't heard back. 

Is it appropriate to turn down an offer of admission via e-mail? I'm a little nervous about an awkward phone call but want to make sure they know I'm grateful and not taking the offer for granted. 

18 minutes ago, Psyched56 said:

Is it appropriate to turn down an offer of admission via e-mail? I'm a little nervous about an awkward phone call but want to make sure they know I'm grateful and not taking the offer for granted. 

I'm in the same boat! I got a call and I know it's an admission but I feel so weird turning the dct down over the phone. I'm waiting for an official email so I can just reply to it #avoidance 

I got a confusing email from PGSP Stanford that basically said "we're still interviewing people, so we're not going to tell you if you're getting in yet, but you are on a short list of candidates under high consideration, so don't say yes to anybody else if you really want to go here". I'm really not entirely sure what to make of this. On the one hand it sounds like I'm being wait-listed. On the other, it sounds like they're telling me to keep my hopes up. I'm still waiting to hear from a couple other schools, but I do really like this program and would be happy going there if that's how things shake out.

Anybody get a similar email or know what to make of this? Any advice on how to get some clarification or respond?

Thanks!

Edited by ServeNStudy

Received an email from a POI asking if I was still interested in the program (interviews were 3 weeks ago and I hadn't seen anything posted on the results page). I said I was since I haven't accepted my current offer yet and they wrote back apologizing for the long wait and then explained they were working out funding with the dept. 

Is this a weird way of them saying I may be receiving an offer soon? It was such an ambiguous email lol 

37 minutes ago, psychlife4me said:

Received an email from a POI asking if I was still interested in the program (interviews were 3 weeks ago and I hadn't seen anything posted on the results page). I said I was since I haven't accepted my current offer yet and they wrote back apologizing for the long wait and then explained they were working out funding with the dept. 

Is this a weird way of them saying I may be receiving an offer soon? It was such an ambiguous email lol 

no pressure but which school was this..? something similar happened to me with my school and im just curious...