Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

2 hours ago, ellieotter said:

NYU?! That's amazing!! I am in love with NY and will actually be visiting NYC soon! (Crazy to believe but I actually won a free trip through work!)

And thank you!! Now just counting down the days till August. Am I right? haha

Ditto! I'm onboarding to my lab early to get a jumpstart for the semester but till then just ironing out my 6-year plan! Lol my neuroticism is starting to frighten even me.

I'm sure you'll love your visit, especially since the weather is improving now. Maybe try union square, forbidden planet, the new chocolate museum, and St Marks street for interesting window shopping. Raine's lawroom is decent for boogie drinks or barcade if you want a miv between a dive bar and old timey arcade!

So I am currently waitlisted at my top choice and I am debating on contacting them for an update since I have one other acceptance offer I'm sitting on. 1. How can I sound still interested in the program, but not totally desperate to get in? 2. Should I contact my POI or the DCT? The DCT is the one who sent out the waitlist email, but since I would be working with my POI I'm thinking it would be better to contact him instead. Any advice?

3 hours ago, jndeiss said:

So I am currently waitlisted at my top choice and I am debating on contacting them for an update since I have one other acceptance offer I'm sitting on. 1. How can I sound still interested in the program, but not totally desperate to get in? 2. Should I contact my POI or the DCT? The DCT is the one who sent out the waitlist email, but since I would be working with my POI I'm thinking it would be better to contact him instead. Any advice?

If it's your top choice, just say that. It doesn't hurt to be honest at all. I'd email the POI and CC the DCT saying something to the effect (more formally) of, "Hey! I hope the applicant process is working out well for you. GIven that I was waitlisted and your univeristy is my top choice for XYZ reasons, I am wanting to contact you one final time to inquire about my position on the waitlist. I am holding onto another offer currently, but I'd accept your offer if one was made to me."

I'd wait until AT LEAST April 10 to send this email. There's no reason to put the cart before the horse when the process may be sorting itself out as we speak. It is very conscientous, though, of you to think about the person in line potentially for your spot at the program you are holding. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I sincerely hope everyone managed to get into their top choices, or at the very least into one of the choices they had targeted at the start of the process. But sadly I do know that some many not have got in this cycle. If there is any way we (those who did manage to get a call this time) can help, with suggestions or any sort of guidance, please feel free to ask! Admissions are an uncertain business and sometimes the really deserving also stand ignored. Good luck to all who got in and even better luck to those applying for 2018!

22 minutes ago, anonymoushere said:

So, I have heard from some professors that many schools did not even consider international applicants for this application season. Is there any truth to this?

I can only speak of my experiences and given everything I have had to go through this application cycle, I believe this to be 100% true.

Hi there,

I am an international student and I got in this year (but I was invited to 1 interview only and luckily got accepted to that school; I only applied to fully funded programs, 6 in the US and 2 in Canada). I was interviewed plenty in Europe, but those are different kinds of programs.

So, if any international applicants have questions I am very happy to help you out! This is a tough process and so many people helped me along the way, I am happy to give back!

17 hours ago, anonymoushere said:

So, I have heard from some professors that many schools did not even consider international applicants for this application season. Is there any truth to this?

I'm international. This certainly does not sound like my experience this application cycle. I got interview invitations from more than half of the places I applied to (all fully-funded phd programs), and ended up getting offers from a few great programs (feeling extremely lucky and grateful), although I was rejected at my first choice program (post-interview) because of funding and was explicitly told that it had something to do with me being international. Also, for most of the interviews I went to, I was almost always the only (or one of the very few) international student(s) there. 

FYI, I got my bachelor's outside of US, but I did have one year of research experience at an R1 US university and all my letter writers are professors in the US, which I think helped a lot. Also, I was physically in the US when I applied, which also made things a lot easier. 

So like @user8111I'm more than happy to answer any questions about applying as an international student. It's very, very hard for so many different reasons, but it's definitely not impossible. :) 

Edited by ClincPsyc

Now that interview season is definitely over, did anyone get a sense of why our interviews were so intensive (I'm think of full day clinical interviews vs. friends in other disciplines who had casual skype interviews or who simply received acceptance emails without interviews)? Also, everyone keeps repeating that there were a lot of clinical applicants this year. Any guesses as to why? 

2 hours ago, pbjcafe said:

Now that interview season is definitely over, did anyone get a sense of why our interviews were so intensive (I'm think of full day clinical interviews vs. friends in other disciplines who had casual skype interviews or who simply received acceptance emails without interviews)? Also, everyone keeps repeating that there were a lot of clinical applicants this year. Any guesses as to why? 

Well, the range of programs I applied to had 100 to 700 applications. For the 100 application program, the accpetance rate is actually about 20% (it's not clinical - it's HDFS). All other programs I applied to were clinical programs. I'd say the interviews have to be intensive because these programs are investing in you, so they really want to be sure they are talking the 8-10 applicants out of hundreds who they want to work with and who they think will bring the best name to the program during their studies and in their future endeavours. 

On 4/21/2017 at 2:02 AM, anonymoushere said:

Funding is always an issue. It is much more expensive for the University to accept an international student than someone from the same state for example. So yes, it is tougher for international students. Also, the US understands and trusts its own systems much more than it does most systems from abroad. Thus if an American student is being recruited they know for sure what they are all about - the University understands their grades, their courses, their recommendations etc. It is that much more difficult for a foreign applicant to establish credibility. Any PhD application is tough. For an international student it is even tougher. That is just how it is. But it is definitely not impossible. It wasn't this year. It won't be the in the years ahead either. Good luck to everyone applying again in 2017!

Edited by CP fun