Fall 2017 Clinical Psychology Applicants

FacelessMage

2 hours ago, That Research Lady said:

I was told I was nominated via initial phone conversation and then I received a separate email confirming I was awarded the fellowship.

Thanks. I heard different things- sometimes in the letter, sometimes even only after someone commits to the program, so I guess this varies by school. I received an acceptance email tonight stating the official letter will follow so I'm hoping to get a nice surprise.. 

On March 13, 2017 at 8:10 PM, eveline said:

To those who have received Diversity or some other scholarship-- did you hear about it in the initial email/phone call, or did they tell you afterwards like in the formal letter? 

I was recently told by email. I have been holding the offer for a month (had a late interview) and all of a sudden I was told of a diversity fellowship that I was being nominated for. 

For those of you who have received phone acceptances, is it common to not receive an official letter until after the April 15th deadline? Did you verbally accept on the phone and not have to formally accept? I would prefer to have something in writing, but it seems that my program may not send out the letter until the entire cohort has been determined. This may be paranoia but what if the offer is rescinded and I have no formal proof of receiving an offer?

5 minutes ago, LovePsychx3 said:

For those of you who have received phone acceptances, is it common to not receive an official letter until after the April 15th deadline? Did you verbally accept on the phone and not have to formally accept? I would prefer to have something in writing, but it seems that my program may not send out the letter until the entire cohort has been determined. This may be paranoia but what if the offer is rescinded and I have no formal proof of receiving an offer?

You should definitely not accept until you have a formal offer in writing! Maybe try checking the application portal? I know one of the programs I applied to posted the official letter on there rather then sending it via email. If not, I'd email the POI/DCT and inquire about a formal letter. But congrats on the offer!

35 minutes ago, LovePsychx3 said:

I agree with NeisserThanILook, when I received my phone acceptance I told them I would accept an offer as soon as the official letter was sent. And like the previous poster my official letter was sent through the application portal and I was never notified of it via email. I had to contact the Department Coordinator.

42 minutes ago, periwinkle27 said:

Is it possible you are waitlisted without schools explicitly telling you that or have people generally been notified when they are waitlisted? 

congrats to all who have been accepted! 

I've had both happen! I've had schools tell me right away, and last year at one school I had to reach out and essentially infer from what my POI said (they were really weird about telling me I was on the waitlist) that I was waitlisted. And it's not like I was far down the waitlist--I was next in line! Super frustrating.

1 hour ago, periwinkle27 said:

Is it possible you are waitlisted without schools explicitly telling you that or have people generally been notified when they are waitlisted? 

When I followed up with a school after hearing nothing, I was told me in a pretty ambiguous way that I was wait-listed. Something like: "It's unlikely that we will be able to extend you admission given a long wait list..." It was pretty unclear and weird. I didn't/don't really understand why I wasn't rejected outright? I was never told I was on the wait-list in the first place. 

On 3/9/2017 at 1:51 PM, tanm55 said:

wondering the same but for TC's Counseling Psych. PhD program not Clinical :wacko:

@tanm55 I emailed my POI today and she responded to say initial invitations have gone out. I assume anyone who hasn't been outright accepted or rejected is on the waitlist.

10 minutes ago, wtfook said:

@tanm55 I emailed my POI today and she responded to say initial invitations have gone out. I assume anyone who hasn't been outright accepted or rejected is on the waitlist.

Okay thanks! What were your POIs initials, out of curiosity? 

11 hours ago, periwinkle27 said:

Yup to the former. I emailed my POI and he told me that I was on the waitlist but that it wasn't very long and encouraged me to wait if I was still interested in the program.

Anyone else experiencing internal guilt because they are holding on to an offer while they wait to see if they pop off another school's wait list? I know we have until April 15th before we have to make a decision but I feel bad knowing that other applicants are waiting for me to make a decision. I also would hate if these people who are wait listed might just accept another school's offer and then the school won't be able to accept someone in the fall! :unsure:

1 hour ago, Round2letsgo said:

Anyone else experiencing internal guilt because they are holding on to an offer while they wait to see if they pop off another school's wait list? I know we have until April 15th before we have to make a decision but I feel bad knowing that other applicants are waiting for me to make a decision. I also would hate if these people who are wait listed might just accept another school's offer and then the school won't be able to accept someone in the fall! :unsure:

I am in the same boat! 

10 minutes ago, metalpsychperson said:

Just got a call from my POI at Baylor and I was accepted off the waitlist! Will most likely accept. Super excited of course, although it's crazy to think I'll probably be moving back to Texas in just a few months!

Congratulations!!! Would you mind posting your POI's initials? Thanks!!