Perception and Cognition Fall 2017 Applicants

socrate4se

On 1/13/2017 at 6:57 AM, psycbcs said:

I emailed the program coordinator and they replied that some faculty might still be making decision on who to invite to the interview. 

Does this mean that some invites have been sent while some remain? or none have been sent? Sorry but I am really freaking out. 

On 1/13/2017 at 11:53 PM, BendingRodriguez said:

Anyone heard anything from Duke Cognition & Cognitive Neuroscience? Or anyone have an idea of when we should expect to hear?

Do you mean CNAP? The interviews were sent out in mid Dec from what i know.

Wow! Early in December I just kind of made this thread and forgot about it. Went on holiday to the UK for three weeks and came back to try to focus on other things. ^_^

Awesome to see so many cog sci people here. I've received a formal invitation to interview from Brandeis, an informal email from my POI from Berkeley asking to Skype this coming Tuesday with "good news", and a flat rejection from UIUC. 

Between (all of) you and me...Berkeley is my top choice by far. Meanwhile, I felt curiously unaffected by the rejection from UIUC. 

All things considered, I'm feeling good right now and congrats/good luck to the rest of you are still hearing back, too! 

2 hours ago, socrate4se said:

Wow! Early in December I just kind of made this thread and forgot about it. Went on holiday to the UK for three weeks and came back to try to focus on other things. ^_^

Awesome to see so many cog sci people here. I've received a formal invitation to interview from Brandeis, an informal email from my POI from Berkeley asking to Skype this coming Tuesday with "good news", and a flat rejection from UIUC. 

Between (all of) you and me...Berkeley is my top choice by far. Meanwhile, I felt curiously unaffected by the rejection from UIUC. 

All things considered, I'm feeling good right now and congrats/good luck to the rest of you are still hearing back, too! 

That's great. All the best for Berkeley.

Have you heard from Johns Hopkins or Harvard yet?

23 hours ago, neur0cat said:

Do you mean CNAP? The interviews were sent out in mid Dec from what i know.

I definitely saw that CNAP invites went out a while ago. I'm asking about the Psychology & Neuroscience admitting program. CNAP does rotations in the first year, but P&N students are admitted directly to a specific lab within the Psychology Dept.

10 hours ago, Kodel said:

That's great. All the best for Berkeley.

Have you heard from Johns Hopkins or Harvard yet?

No, nothing from Hopkins or Harvard yet. Do you know of anyone hearing from them yet? I saw some people have heard from UCSD, so I'm no longer anticipating that one.

1 hour ago, socrate4se said:

No, nothing from Hopkins or Harvard yet. Do you know of anyone hearing from them yet? I saw some people have heard from UCSD, so I'm no longer anticipating that one.

No, I am not aware of anyone hearing back from Harvard or JHU. Please post here or in the survey in case you do.

I emailed the graduate coordinator at UCSD and she told me all interview invites have been sent. So even I have taken this as a rejection. 

Congrats on Berkeley, socrate4se. I'm still waiting to hear back from Hopkins too. It looks like last year they sent out invites around this time of year, but so far there's nothing in the results section for 2017.

Also congrats on Washington, ezluap. They're one of my top 2 choices, and I haven't heard anything from them :(

7 hours ago, Kodel said:

No, I am not aware of anyone hearing back from Harvard or JHU. Please post here or in the survey in case you do.

I emailed the graduate coordinator at UCSD and she told me all interview invites have been sent. So even I have taken this as a rejection. 

Someone posted in the survey page that he/she got an interview notification from JHU via phone on Jan 10th (search "JHU" in survey page).

So far I've heard nothing from JHU yet :(

9 hours ago, psycbcs said:

Someone posted in the survey page that he/she got an interview notification from JHU via phone on Jan 10th (search "JHU" in survey page).

So far I've heard nothing from JHU yet :(

Yeah, I checked. Seems like PI contacted the person directly. IMO, official invites have not been sent yet. Fingers crossed. 

All the best.

21 hours ago, hh0505 said:

Congrats on Berkeley, socrate4se. I'm still waiting to hear back from Hopkins too. It looks like last year they sent out invites around this time of year, but so far there's nothing in the results section for 2017.

Also congrats on Washington, ezluap. They're one of my top 2 choices, and I haven't heard anything from them :(

Hearing from Berkeley was a direct contact from my POI, so don't worry too hard over that one yet. I don't believe formal notification has happened at all yet (for Psychology or Vision Science).

Best of luck!

12 hours ago, C is for Caps Locks said:

Congrats! Now you're in the awesome place of being able to take a breather/enjoy the moment! You're going to grad school! :D

Thank you! :) Can't believe it really seems to be happening...I've been preparing and working on applying for so long that it just feels like a part of me now. Hasn't sunk in really that I can relax for second and know that I'm actually going.

this is a bit late but i have recieved an invite to attend the University of Toronto's grad recruitment event from my POI about two weeks ago! Extremely excited to see the university as it is my top choice, hopefully i will see some of you there as well! This has been a long road but its definitely coming to an exciting end! 

Congratulations to both Socrate4se and B_Allen. Great news, especially since the programms are your top choices :)

I am absolutely loosing my mind over Hopkins. Usually they send in their invites by 2nd week of January. 

@Kodel it must be kind of weird, the waiting part is by far the worst part of the process. I thought the application process would be but the waiting it out is absolutely the worst. BUT with that said, i would do a couple of things one if you dont hear anything by end of this week and early next week, i would reach out to your POI and see where they stand with regards to your application, dont feel bad about emailing POIs it shows you care and are serious about the program. Hopkins is a top program but I would still try to make sure your POI knows you really want this, and maybe emailing them a small follow up next week might show that! In any case, i wish you the best and thank you for the well wishes!

On 1/10/2017 at 3:35 PM, Dante26 said:

Applied to University of Montana, Purdue, WUSTL, UCD, UCSB, Louisiville, Binghamton, PITT, and K-State all under the cognitive umbrella in one regard or another

Have heard back from WUSTL, PITT, UCSB, and Louisville. The first 3 have sent out interview weekend notices but it was all done after personal correspondence between myself and one of the faculty so I would not worry too much if they haven't gotten to you yet, the interview weekends are still a month or so out.

Montana has gotten back to me for a skype interview, and Binghamton and Iowa state have scheduled campus visits (I completely forgot to include them when I wrote the last 

Edited by Dante26

been lurking but someone asked for a reply to a result I put on the survey, and I don't want to contribute to repeat survey posts, so I hope that person is reading this thread--

I put rejected for Duke psych and CNAP. The online letter I got only specified psych, but I gathered both since I didn't get an interview for either. I'm figuring from survey posts that CNAP interview invites went out en masse in December. Since it's an umbrella program it makes more sense for them to send all invites at once as opposed to by PI.

Congrats to all of you with admit offers and invitations to interviews! 

I am a bit confused about what a "recruitment weekend" entails. I have received an invite to visit UMich for their recruitment weekend and their invitation letter looks very promising. But looking at the rejection letters they have sent to a couple of friends, I am now apprehensive. Their rejection letters look as good as an acceptance letter with super encouraging phrases ("excellent credentials, impressive records, blah blah blah, but limited places so no admit for you"). 

My question is, would this recruitment weekend be an assessment interview where they actually reject candidates based on performance in the interview or is it going to be a "two-way street" where the invited candidates are most likely to get an offer and its for the university to impress the candidates? 

@summavanlaude to be honest i am in the same boat with regards to UofT, but from the sense that i get and from asking other people who have gone through the process before i feel like its more a two way street. Where they only invite candidates that they are super serious about and are on their so called short-list. So i think you can be cautiously happy, umich is a great program! Another note, when you go on these recruitment weekend just be yourself and make sure that everyone there sees why you're passionate about research and why you want to pursue your specific topic. At this point they know you're qualified they just want to see if you on paper and you in person are the same, if not better!

best of luck to you on your recruitment trip!

1 hour ago, B_Allen said:

@summavanlaude to be honest i am in the same boat with regards to UofT, but from the sense that i get and from asking other people who have gone through the process before i feel like its more a two way street. Where they only invite candidates that they are super serious about and are on their so called short-list. So i think you can be cautiously happy, umich is a great program! Another note, when you go on these recruitment weekend just be yourself and make sure that everyone there sees why you're passionate about research and why you want to pursue your specific topic. At this point they know you're qualified they just want to see if you on paper and you in person are the same, if not better!

best of luck to you on your recruitment trip!

Thanks @B_Allen . That gives me hope! And congrats on your interview for UofT! 

I don't want to be too much of myself of course. But what freaks me out is the interview process. They have mentioned I will be interviewing with a "few" faculty members. I have always been bad at interviewing. Let me keep my fingers crossed and get some mock interviews done with friends probably!