Perception and Cognition Fall 2017 Applicants

socrate4se

On 1/13/2017 at 10:53 AM, BendingRodriguez said:

Anyone heard anything from Duke Cognition & Cognitive Neuroscience? Or anyone have an idea of when we should expect to hear?

I got a reject from Duke Psychology C&CN. Got an email asking me to check portal!

Northwestern seems to have given out all the invites so i guess no point waiting on it. So NYU and McGill still left. Any idea about these two univs?

3 hours ago, superlative_high said:

If you mean NYU Cognition and Perception, I heard from them Dec. 16th and their two interview weekends are Feb. 10 and Feb. 17. Not sure if they're sending out more invites or if they did them all at once

Oh thanks! Yes I meant NYU Cognition and Perception!

7 hours ago, TenaciousBushLeaper said:

There have been posts on here and the results section that show Princeton sent out interview invites around December 20th, interview day is February 3rd.

Thanks for responding!

I was holding onto the fact that the ones who got interviews applied to neuroscience while I applied to Memory/cognition & I was an international candidate :/ But I guess it is time to face the facts now...

6 hours ago, Lucyshoneypie said:

Thanks for responding!

I was holding onto the fact that the ones who got interviews applied to neuroscience while I applied to Memory/cognition & I was an international candidate :/ But I guess it is time to face the facts now...

Just to be clear, my comment on interview day was with respect to psychology. Sorry to bring the bad news.

Just wanted to update that since being accepted into Berkeley, I've received rejections from San Diego, Davis and WashU. No word from NYU, JHU, or Harvard, but I'm not holding out any hope because of how late it is.

Definitely taking it well because duh Berkeley -- but this process is still such a mystery to me. Very interesting how I could get in (early, and with the department being so enthused about me that they nominated me for a competitive university scholarship) to one of the top 5 most prestigious schools in the world, and flat-out rejected from other, technically "lower ranking" schools.

I can only surmise that much really does depend on circumstance; especially funding available and fit with a faculty member who is looking for students. 

Yeah, it sometimes feels very strange when you examine who accepts/rejects you (I've similarly had a couple of rejections from programs I had as "safety schools" but been asked to interview at several in the top 10).

One thing I wondered about is if some lower ranked schools will just pass on people they deem as "too competitive" (to avoid wasting time/resources trying to recruit someone that will most likely go somewhere else). I did also blindly send out some applications (decided not to send emails to all the POIs I was interested in), so a couple might have been POIs not even recruiting (in hindsight should have emailed people to check if they were accepting grad students).

Although, I think fit is probably the main thing, looking at all the programs that I'm interviewing at, all of them are the ones I had the highest research fit with (to the point that my POIs know my letter of recommendation writers at least by name/research if not personally).

Edited by C is for Caps Locks

22 hours ago, C is for Caps Locks said:

Although, I think fit is probably the main thing, looking at all the programs that I'm interviewing at, all of them are the ones I had the highest research fit with (to the point that my POIs know my letter of recommendation writers at least by name/research if not personally).

THIS! One of my SO's recommendation writers is highly respected in the field and many of the POIs were familiar with his work and contribution to the field. Those most familiar with my SO's recommendation writer (either personally or professionally) were the professors that invited my SO to interview weekend and also ended up admitting him. In fact, my SO's advisor now at NYU was actually advised by my SO's recommendation letter writer while he was getting his PhD. I feel like this in particular is super super super important and in my mind made all the difference in where my SO was ultimately accepted. This, I believe, is also why some people are accepted by top-ranked schools and denied by much lower-ranked ones.

Furthermore, I imagine this process is going to be fairly similar when it comes to applying for post-docs and tenured positions. Connections, connections, connections!!

Edited by FeelTheBern

I heard back from my PI at Hopkins that I was rejected. I had a chat with him and he said that students had been ''invited". Not sure if that means invites have been sent out, but pretty weird that no invites on the survey page. 

Rejected from UIUC, UCSD and JHU. Only Harvard remains. I had strong letters from Harvard and ENS,Paris. But my grades are not that great. So, need some publications to offeset them. Already planning for applying next year.

All the best to everyone,

anybody received an acceptance from uoft yet? i know they had their interview weekend already but i was just wondering if anyone had been reached out by their POI yet...the wait is just tormenting lol

@summavanlaude for sure! first congratulations! second, ok so its an interesting scenario. These recruitment weekends are all about them showing you what great opportunitites await you if you do choose to come to the school but also they're a way for them to further evaluate you through (usually) one on one interviews. For me, it was pretty interesting since i got to talk to my  main POI and 4 other people that were also in my field. The interviews were pretty casual, they didnt grill me or anything but they did ask me about what i wanted to do, why i wanted to do it and why it got me excited. To be honest you're gonna have a great time, be social, try to meet as many people as you can, be yourself and take it all in. Best of luck to you, and I hope that we both end up going to our most desired programs!

oh and if you have questions, ask them!! dont hold back get as much information out of the grad students and professors as you can! its a great opportunity to learn alot about the program and living in the particular city that you're uni is in. :)

HI @B_Allen that was super useful information! I think your post needs to be pinned here. one of the only first-hand information I have received on this topic! 

Actually, you allayed one of my major fears about professors, especially my POI trying to drill me on some weird topics from college that I might have long forgotten! If it is going to be a general discussion about the direction of research and such, I am probably looking forward to it! You got my interest up a notch. 

Hope you get a positive response from Toronto!!! 

thank you very much @summavanlaude you're in for a awesome few days, michigan is a top notch program! enjoy it my friend it will be great! 

P.S. I sure hope that UofT has some good news for me, its been a long ride but they are my top choice! I hope the same for you! let me know how it goes :)

Has anyone heard from these schools: Boston U, Chicago, Emory, Pitt, Stanford, UC Irvine, Oregon, and UT Austin?

From the results and the posts here, I get the impression that Stanford, Pitt, and Chicago already sent out interview invites, but I'm not totally sure.

2 hours ago, bluejay93 said:

Has anyone heard from these schools: Boston U, Chicago, Emory, Pitt, Stanford, UC Irvine, Oregon, and UT Austin?

From the results and the posts here, I get the impression that Stanford, Pitt, and Chicago already sent out interview invites, but I'm not totally sure.

During my recent interview at Princeton from talking to the other prospectives Stanford and Pitt have sent out and scheduled interviews. Pitt should be in 2 weeks if I remember correctly, and the Stanford Psychology is also later in the month / beginning of March I don't remember the exact date.

had an interview with a prof at Emory weeks ago, but not sure whether they have sent out all the invitations for US-based candidates (I'm an international applicant).

according to the profs at jhu that I talked with, they shall finish all the interviews by mid Feb and the results will be out after that.

Nobody has heard from Harvard yet? POI told me they would send invitations in January but haven't heard back from him since! Anyways, I got into UC Davis!! And I am still waiting on Berkeley for the Vision Program. They don't have funding for international students tho.. so it is a problem!