Fall 2017 Applicants

hypsipyle

7 hours ago, Thyestes76 said:

Does anybody know what UCLA' interview policy is with regard to foreign applicants. I have not heard from them, which most likely means they are not interested, but if they were they could not send an overseas invitation anyway. I am curious to know how they handle overseas interviews

I honestly have no idea, but I would think that they would be able to do a Skype interview or something? 

19 hours ago, jac21 said:

Looks like someone heard back from Bryn Mawr's Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology program already--way back on Feb 1 through the mail. Should I assume I'm out if I haven't heard?

It may be a stretch now if they heard back on the 1st, but you never know! Also know that some (though not all) schools will send out waitlist notifications a good while after the first acceptances. I'm not sure about Bryn Mawr specifically, though. 

I am also not certain, but I can confirm that my invitiation was sent by email. I would guess that they would send international invitations at the same time. You could very easily be on a waiting list. Back when I was applying for MA programs, they put me on a waiting list without informing me. I didn't find out until I sent them an email.

Edit: concering UCLA, in response to @Thyestes76.

Edited by Aperio

Not me, good luck! But I did get into CUNY Grad Center MA Classics yesterday. I was kind of discounting the program because the offerings are so literature-focused and I'm into material culture/arch, but I found out you can cross-register with NYU ISAW and Columbia... it's messing with my mental ranking of choices, haha. 

3 hours ago, Spiro Spero said:

Not me, good luck! But I did get into CUNY Grad Center MA Classics yesterday. I was kind of discounting the program because the offerings are so literature-focused and I'm into material culture/arch, but I found out you can cross-register with NYU ISAW and Columbia... it's messing with my mental ranking of choices, haha. 

Congrats!! That is really interesting. I guess I would check out the facility at those places to see if you'd be happy cross-registering. 

31 minutes ago, ploutarchos said:

Does anyone know anything about Princeton's timeline this year?

I'm afraid I have no idea, but best of luck! I don't know if I've asked, but what are your research interests, @ploutarchos

On a side note, I was accepted at FSU (MA in Classics) with funding! Anybody have any further knowledge about their program? (any info that has made its way down the grapevine?) 

1 hour ago, ploutarchos said:

Does anyone know anything about Princeton's timeline this year?

Based on last year, interview requests have probably gone out by now. But keep in mind that Princeton for whatever reason doesn't interview everyone they're interested in—I assumed I was rejected because I didn't get an interview, only to receive an offer two weeks later (end of Feb).

36 minutes ago, terraaurea said:

Congrats!! That is really interesting. I guess I would check out the facility at those places to see if you'd be happy cross-registering. 

I'm afraid I have no idea, but best of luck! I don't know if I've asked, but what are your research interests, @ploutarchos

On a side note, I was accepted at FSU (MA in Classics) with funding! Anybody have any further knowledge about their program? (any info that has made its way down the grapevine?) 

Congrats on FSU! I'm interested, very broadly, in Greek religion and reception studies.

7 minutes ago, anactoria said:

Based on last year, interview requests have probably gone out by now. But keep in mind that Princeton for whatever reason doesn't interview everyone they're interested in—I assumed I was rejected because I didn't get an interview, only to receive an offer two weeks later (end of Feb).

Thanks! I did notice that from the results board, so I won't write them off just yet.

49 minutes ago, terraaurea said:

Yeah, it seems neat. Maybe I'll go visit - it's close to home so it'd be pretty easy to do on short notice. 

Congratulations on FSU! And funding, sweet! 

49 minutes ago, terraaurea said:

Yeah, it seems neat. Maybe I'll go visit - it's close to home so it'd be pretty easy to do on short notice. 

Congratulations on FSU! And funding, sweet! 

Welp, didn't make the shortlist for Cornell's Classics PhD. I'm disappointed because that was my top choice because I love the research they are doing there and felt really connected to it. However, I did put the Archaeology MA as my second choice, so they're sending my app to it. It just looks like in the past they haven't really offered much--or any funding--to the MA students. I guess we'll just have to see! 

Hey all, been lurking on here for ages....taking the plunge and posting. 

Congrats all on offers and interviews. I am myself interviewing at Cincinnati next week, it seems a decent program, despite the recent 'problems' they've had there, but what do people feel about it overall, I guess it doesn't seem a 'top' program, but it's the only place I've heard back from. So what do y'all think?

10 hours ago, nempe_sic_asiduue said:

Hey all, been lurking on here for ages....taking the plunge and posting. 

Congrats all on offers and interviews. I am myself interviewing at Cincinnati next week, it seems a decent program, despite the recent 'problems' they've had there, but what do people feel about it overall, I guess it doesn't seem a 'top' program, but it's the only place I've heard back from. So what do y'all think?

Awesome, maybe I'll see you there next week then! My profs consider it to be a top program given their research projects in Pompeii, etc. I guess it depends on what your field of study is (I'm archaeology). And this is all despite that one big problem. Are they any issues you know of other than the big elephant in the room? 

1 hour ago, nempe_sic_asiduue said:

I'm more philology than archeology which is I guess why I have reservations (would like maybe to have a *shot* at a job even though the market's terrible...) I hear it's Ok for archeology.  What're your interests? I'm more greek than roman focused I guess. 

Do you think it would harm you as a candidate? I mean, you can't blame the university for something that is beyond their control...

3 hours ago, nempe_sic_asiduue said:

I can't. But I have to choose whether doing the PhD is right in the end. It's a long time for a thing that probably won't pay off. 

My interests are in Roman Provincial archaeology and GIS/Statial analysis/landscape archaeology. My interest in getting a PhD is my own personal goal on top of helping with the job market. My interests in GIS will help me in the end even if I can't get a job in academia, though. Consider what skills you would get through the PhD and then consider it. 

Also as an update: I've gotten into FSU (don't know if I said that already) and Boulder! Right now Boulder can't guarantee funding. But, FSU offered me a full funding package with a stipend and a small health insurance package. I'm really not wanting to live in Florida by preference, but it's hard to turn down a good deal like that...

Still waiting because I have my Cincinnati interview next week, which if I got in would blow everything else out of the water. Plus waiting to hear from Cornell's MA still.

Have you guys heard any pros/cons about the Classics programs at FSU and Boulder? 

10 hours ago, terraaurea said:

Also as an update: I've gotten into FSU (don't know if I said that already) and Boulder! Right now Boulder can't guarantee funding. But, FSU offered me a full funding package with a stipend and a small health insurance package. I'm really not wanting to live in Florida by preference, but it's hard to turn down a good deal like that...

Still waiting because I have my Cincinnati interview next week, which if I got in would blow everything else out of the water. Plus waiting to hear from Cornell's MA still.

Have you guys heard any pros/cons about the Classics programs at FSU and Boulder? 

I don't know much about those programs in particular, but congratulations on the acceptances! 

New update. So I got into Cornell's MA program in Archaeology! The problem is that they can only offer a $2,500 fellowship...Kind of disappointed because their research is what I'm the most interested in, but I don't think there's any way that I could afford living there unless I were to receive much more funding than that. FSU is offering me full funding, with a job as a TA and a small health insurance package. So if I do not make it into the University of Cincinnati's Classics program then that's probably where I would need to go. Being as poor as my family is and with our bad credit taking out loans isn't a possibility, and so it would be silly to turn down full funding. I know FSU has a good program and that the money is great, but I can't help but be a little disappointed still...I'm trying to look on the bright side regardless. 

Congratulations @terraaurea!!

I think you're making the right choice -- taking out a loan for an MA is a really bad financial decision. Even if FSU isn't your top choice, you'll be in a great position to apply to PhD programs in the future! The teaching experience will be a big plus.

If there's a POI at any of the PhD programs that rejected your application that you think might be nice (perhaps at Cornell, since they clearly liked you enough to offer an MA), you may want to reach out for recommendations on where to strengthen your skillset.