Fall 2017 Applicants

hypsipyle

1 hour ago, terraaurea said:

New update. So I got into Cornell's MA program in Archaeology! The problem is that they can only offer a $2,500 fellowship...Kind of disappointed because their research is what I'm the most interested in, but I don't think there's any way that I could afford living there unless I were to receive much more funding than that. FSU is offering me full funding, with a job as a TA and a small health insurance package. So if I do not make it into the University of Cincinnati's Classics program then that's probably where I would need to go. Being as poor as my family is and with our bad credit taking out loans isn't a possibility, and so it would be silly to turn down full funding. I know FSU has a good program and that the money is great, but I can't help but be a little disappointed still...I'm trying to look on the bright side regardless. 

I agree w/virgil; that sounds like a good decision. I've seen a lot of FSU alumni on the current student lists of top programs. It's a marathon, not a sprint (as I always try to remind myself)! And a funded MA is definitely something to be proud of. Is there a reason you're not considering Boulder anymore?

Edited by Spiro Spero

22 minutes ago, Spiro Spero said:

I agree w/virgil; that sounds like a good decision. I've seen a lot of FSU alumni on the current student lists of top programs. It's a marathon, not a sprint (as I always try to remind myself)! And a funded MA is definitely something to be proud of. Is there a reason you're not considering Boulder anymore?

I agree. Their faculty do have a lot of good links to research I'm interested in, on top of the funding. I'm also emailing the faculty asking for more information about certain things that I'm interested in doing (e.g. GIS) and how I can gain experience in that at FSU. Some of their faculty are in to landscape arch., which I'm happy about. 

As for Boulder, the reason I'm having trouble considering it is because they can't guarantee funding. Money is a huge issue with me given my financial situation, and so if I can get a good education in my MA for nearly free versus being in debt, that would be cool. 

Hey @terraaurea - as someone who was in a v similar situation (no money, parents in huge debt, recently lost our home, etc) I agree - go where the money is, go where there is funding. You won't regret that in the slightest. It will allow you to concentrate on your work much better as well. There might be people out there who tell you that education is priceless and, sure, I guess so in some ways, but people who make this claim usually don't know what it's like to be poor/ in debt/ have terrible credit. Do what you can to keep yourself in the best position. Plus, FSU is a fantastic program! This sounds like a great option :)

13 hours ago, ciistai said:

Hey @terraaurea - as someone who was in a v similar situation (no money, parents in huge debt, recently lost our home, etc) I agree - go where the money is, go where there is funding. You won't regret that in the slightest. It will allow you to concentrate on your work much better as well. There might be people out there who tell you that education is priceless and, sure, I guess so in some ways, but people who make this claim usually don't know what it's like to be poor/ in debt/ have terrible credit. Do what you can to keep yourself in the best position. Plus, FSU is a fantastic program! This sounds like a great option :)

I agree. To me education is priceless, but in the long run. In the short run, you need to have somewhere to live, food, and other necessities, and having to worry about those things has been hard enough as an undergraduate, let alone as a graduate student! I still have my interview weekend in Cincinnati for their Classics PhD this week, and they offer 7 years of funding, plus a stipend, etc. if you are accepted. If I do not get in there FSU sounds like it will be a great choice.

Hey again, everyone! I'm attending a prospective student weekend at the University of Cincinnati tomorrow/this weekend, and I was wondering if any of you have good interview/first impression advice? Any questions you can think of that they may commonly ask about? Anything you shouldn't do/should avoid doing? Thanks, and best of luck to everyone still!

Just got back from Cinny--it was an action-packed weekend, and I couldn't have been more impressed! It was intense and I'm exhausted. With that said, how are all of you holding up toward the end of this harrowing application cycle? 

21 minutes ago, Argikeraunos said:

Accepted to Harvard this Friday, after a skype interview 2 weeks ago (didnt post in the results page yet, though)! Couldnt be more thrilled - this was my dream program for years, and I was rejected by them two times before. 

Congratulations! They have a wonderful faculty and community -- and Boston is a great place to live. I'm sure there are more qualified local experts that the department will introduce you to, but I did my undergrad there and would be happy to rave about it, if you have any questions.

I still have not heard from USC, nor did I get a rejection letter from UCLA (the most likely thing to happen). It is very difficult to get into aPhD program in the US, though I have both a BA from a respectable British institution, and an MA from the US, I dont have any luck

USC has already sent out at least some acceptances, and UCLA has already held a campus visit for prospective graduate students. That said, I don't know of any reason to assume all acceptances have been sent, so hold on to some hope!

13 hours ago, Thyestes76 said:

I still have not heard from USC, nor did I get a rejection letter from UCLA (the most likely thing to happen). It is very difficult to get into aPhD program in the US, though I have both a BA from a respectable British institution, and an MA from the US, I dont have any luck

I feel you. I doubted myself can be accepted into anyplace at this circle. USC is also silence for me, but I know one in my cohort had an interview with them last week. Hope is still there. It is still too early to lose our faith. Good luck!

4 hours ago, Spiro Spero said:

Trinity College Dublin wants a deposit by Wednesday, but I just found out I was admitted but wait listed for funding at Tulane. The wait continues...

I have always been advised that if you have to pay for grad school, not to go. Particularly at European schools where is is no funding. 

Edited by nempe_sic_asiduue

Ended up choosing Trinity, though I'm still on the wait list for Tulane. I'm excited - my undergrad institution is pretty much the opposite of picturesque Trinity in every way, plus moving to Dublin for a year will be a nice change of pace before coming back for the PhD. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting and/or deciding!

8 hours ago, Spiro Spero said:

Ended up choosing Trinity, though I'm still on the wait list for Tulane. I'm excited - my undergrad institution is pretty much the opposite of picturesque Trinity in every way, plus moving to Dublin for a year will be a nice change of pace before coming back for the PhD. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting and/or deciding!

Congratulations!!!

19 hours ago, Spiro Spero said:

Congrats on your decision!

Thanks everyone! My undergrad is in IR and my university didn't even offer intro classical languages, so honestly I'm just happy/surprised to be doing something that's not a postbac, let alone a program in a city like Dublin and a university like Trinity! All of the hustling to no-credit night school Latin at a nearby university and filling in every bit of time with related things paid off. Anyone else have news? 

This must be some kind of sick joke. The day after the Trinity deadline, I get acceptances from Edinburgh and Durham and an interview request from Cambridge. All at once!!! The others are roughly the same as Trinity (and a lot more expensive), so I'm forgoing them, but can't pass up an interview with Cambridge. How's everyone else doing?

@Spiro Spero: when it rains...

I've heard back from all but two of the thirteen Classics PhD programs I applied to this season (I presume the holdouts -- Yale and UVA -- are rejections). I've been fortunate enough to receive a couple funded offers, and am pretty sure at this point that I will accept Michigan's -- their Classical Studies program is top-notch and I was very impressed when I visited two weeks back. So I've been doing well!

5 minutes ago, suntaliquidmanes said:

@Spiro Spero: when it rains...

I've heard back from all but two of the thirteen Classics PhD programs I applied to this season (I presume the holdouts -- Yale and UVA -- are rejections). I've been fortunate enough to receive a couple funded offers, and am pretty sure at this point that I will accept Michigan's -- their Classical Studies program is top-notch and I was very impressed when I visited two weeks back. So I've been doing well!

That's so awesome! Buy a warm coat ;) 

Hi everyone (first time user),

I had an interview to UPenn PhD program (Fall 2017) on Jan. 23. Since then I did not hear from the department or the graduate school.

Would you say it is alright to reach out someone at the department and ask for information?

Thanks

On 3/2/2017 at 10:54 AM, suntaliquidmanes said:

I used to work outside year-round, so I've had this for the last couple years: https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-mcmurdo-parka-ii-cql4

Definitely Michigan-ready! Congrats on your recent success as well.

Congrats on Michigan! You'll get used to the cold, and I need to get used to the heat, because I'm going to go to FSU. This pasty-white Wisconsinite is going to be very sunburnt...

21 hours ago, SternN said:

Hi everyone (first time user),

I had an interview to UPenn PhD program (Fall 2017) on Jan. 23. Since then I did not hear from the department or the graduate school.

Would you say it is alright to reach out someone at the department and ask for information?

Thanks

Welcome!! Did they give any indication as to when they'd get back to students after the interviews? It has been a while, and if you're waiting on other offers it would probably be OK to email them and politely ask about when they hope to give decisions.