Fall 2017 Applicants

hypsipyle

5 minutes ago, Historiaeros said:

One of my cohort also received the rejection this morning. That program is just insanely competitive. Don't lose faith. Hope you will hear good news soon.

Thanks! I already have had some good news, so I'm not too bothered. But a rejection is always a little disappointing

29 minutes ago, the gadfly said:

Just received an email inviting me to visit UCLA Feb 22-25.  I am quite excited!

That's fantastic, congrats!! What program did you apply to? (I ask because I'm waiting on news from archaeology). Good job so far everyone! 

4 hours ago, Thyestes76 said:

I have applied for UCLA too, but since I did not receive an invitation I can safely assume they will not bother with me. Has anybody applied/heard from USC Dornsife?

No. I also applied to USC but heard nothing so far. They seem to give out results in the middle of Feb? 

9 minutes ago, Thyestes76 said:

@terraaureaI guess mine will be the second one! Have they sent a letter or did you check their site?

There was an automatic email sent out saying that the decision was made on the website. So I checked it and there was a standard rejection letter. 

2 minutes ago, terraaurea said:

There was an automatic email sent out saying that the decision was made on the website. So I checked it and there was a standard rejection letter. 

I should mention too that it's for the Joukowsky Institute, so archaeology. For anybody waiting on classics, etc. 

@terraaurea archaeology must be even more tricky then classics to apply to, because they must have fieldwork capacities I guess. I would normally not apply to Ivy League myself, but the application fee were not too bad, and the faculty matched my interests very well, but at hindsight, I regretted the effort and time spent

16 minutes ago, Thyestes76 said:

@terraaurea archaeology must be even more tricky then classics to apply to, because they must have fieldwork capacities I guess. I would normally not apply to Ivy League myself, but the application fee were not too bad, and the faculty matched my interests very well, but at hindsight, I regretted the effort and time spent

It's incredibly complicated and frustrating. I wouldn't have bothered applying if I hadn't had access to a fee waiver (I'm dirt poor). 

@terraaurea My professors were all very enthusiastic about my applications and encouraged at least one ivy league, so far I had an interview of my college of choice, for which I am hoping, it is a smaller one, on the West coast, fantastic location, very nice Faculty,  I am sure I would benefit immensely if accepted

Edited by Thyestes76

Because some of you all might know, random question. When it comes to Postbacc programs in Classics, what is the deal with FAFSA/financial aid? I'm just thinking worst-case scenario that I don't get in anywhere, which is a possibility. My parents are homeless and make very, very minimal income, and I myself don't really have any savings. Being able to attend any undergrad at all has depended upon financial aid. My family also has a history of terrible credit scores, so private loans have never been a viable option. 

Any knowledge on this? Thanks!

@terraaurea I'm not an expert by any means, but it looks like there are federal loans available for Columbia's post-bac if you're at least enrolled half-time+ http://sps.columbia.edu/certificates/classics-certificate/tuition-and-financing/financial-resources

Side note: I'm dying of anticipation now that, based on previous years, my top 2 are releasing decisions any day now. I think I might get banned from my email server for refreshing too much. 

Edited by Spiro Spero

7 minutes ago, Spiro Spero said:

@terraaurea I'm not an expert by any means, but it looks like there are federal loans available for Columbia's post-bac if you're at least enrolled half-time+ http://sps.columbia.edu/certificates/classics-certificate/tuition-and-financing/financial-resources

As obnoxiously expensive as Columbia's post bacc program is, it's impressive that they even have a financing page and it seems like there's the possible option of part-time matriculation so that you're possibly eligible for federal aid. Most programs go "this post bacc isn't even a certificate so good luck finding any money--also you're not eligible for federal funding".