Fall 2017 Applicants

hypsipyle

9 minutes ago, pro Augustis said:

Last year's cohort (mine) at UT was extremely large. As a result, this year they are being quite selective in admissions. 

Thank you for the info pro Augustis! Do you know any information about the waiting list this year?

2 minutes ago, Historiaeros said:

Thank you for the info pro Augustis! Do you know any information about the waiting list this year?

Nothing specific, no. The interview weekend is in mid February. If last year's timeline is any indication, offers will be made shortly thereafter. When those people will get back to UT about the offers, however, does not seem predictable, nor how the reduced proportion of interviewees receiving an offer this time around will affect the timeline. 

20 minutes ago, pro Augustis said:

Nothing specific, no. The interview weekend is in mid February. If last year's timeline is any indication, offers will be made shortly thereafter. When those people will get back to UT about the offers, however, does not seem predictable, nor how the reduced proportion of interviewees receiving an offer this time around will affect the timeline. 

Thank you so much for the info. I guess nothing I can do but wait. Would you mind if I ask you about the pro and con of Austin's program? As I applied for the joint program in ancient philosophy, do you have any thought about it? 

3 minutes ago, Historiaeros said:

Thank you so much for the info. I guess nothing I can do but wait. Would you mind if I ask you about the pro and con of Austin's program? As I applied for the joint program in ancient philosophy, do you have any thought about it? 

I don't mind, but I should mention up front that I am a historian rather than a philosopher and so have not taken any philosophy courses here. The joint program is relatively small. My year has one person in it, who is actually one of my roommates. There are other ancient philosophy persons lodged in the philosophy department, though. For me, the two biggest pluses about UT so far have been the friendliness of the people, both grad students and professors, and the top-notch course selection. On that last point my more philosophically minded roommate agrees, though the specific courses we are taking have thus far had relatively little overlap. If you want to look into those be sure to check both the classics and philosophy listings.

4 minutes ago, pro Augustis said:

I don't mind, but I should mention up front that I am a historian rather than a philosopher and so have not taken any philosophy courses here. The joint program is relatively small. My year has one person in it, who is actually one of my roommates. There are other ancient philosophy persons lodged in the philosophy department, though. For me, the two biggest pluses about UT so far have been the friendliness of the people, both grad students and professors, and the top-notch course selection. On that last point my more philosophically minded roommate agrees, though the specific courses we are taking have thus far had relatively little overlap. If you want to look into those be sure to check both the classics and philosophy listings.

Thank you so much. I looked into the course they had for recent years. They seemed very attractive to me. It is one factor I took into consideration when I decided to apply. I desperately want to get in!

3 minutes ago, Historiaeros said:

Thank you so much. I looked into the course they had for recent years. They seemed very attractive to me. It is one factor I took into consideration when I decided to apply. I desperately want to get in!

Good luck! Let me know if you have any further questions. 

33 minutes ago, anactoria said:

Rumor has it Stanford sent out acceptances today or yesterday!

Ah! Do you happen to know how they sent out the acceptances?

Edited by the gadfly

9 hours ago, pro Augustis said:

Last year's cohort (mine) at UT was extremely large. As a result, this year they are being quite selective in admissions. 

They did mention that in the email. Why did they accept so many last year? Were all of you guys just that awesome ;)

9 hours ago, Historiaeros said:

Thank you! I guess we get exactly the same information. It would be a long wait. Who knows how many they put on the list.:unsure:

I think so, too. 

So after lurking about the forums for a while I thought I might as well join. Hello! Before I dig into my own anxieties here, I just want to congratulate all of you with potential offers already! Now. Does anyone know anything else about Columbia/Toronto/Berkeley acceptances being sent out? Especially the first two - it seems (from the results page) that they've definitely began the process... Is there still hope? :o 

Still shaking because of the good news: I got into UChicago! The program is perfect :wub: And now I can officially start quitting my job, too!!

@aspasiahaha I don't have any insider knowledge, but if you haven't gotten an interview request from Columbia yet, I think you may be on a waitlist. I interviewed for CLST last week and was told that the acceptances (etc) would be sent out in 2ish weeks. Weird things happen, though! By the way, feel free to dig into your anxieties if you'd like -- we're all here to support each other in this stressful endeavor.

Edited by likeavirgil

I'm super tempted to email some programs (IPCAA and UCLA) just to ask about statuses because in the very-VERY unlikely event that I would need to attend their prospective weekends I would need to cancel some prior plans. I'm trying to hold off until Tuesday or Wednesday this week though, just in case those rejections/rare invitations were to come in at the beginning of this week...Though at the same time it's very tempting because UCLA in the past has gotten to people before this date in the past, as has IPCAA. So I don't want to be waiting around for no reason when they could just straight up tell me about the rejection/waitlist/etc. 

Edited by terraaurea

6 hours ago, aspasiahaha said:

So after lurking about the forums for a while I thought I might as well join. Hello! Before I dig into my own anxieties here, I just want to congratulate all of you with potential offers already! Now. Does anyone know anything else about Columbia/Toronto/Berkeley acceptances being sent out? Especially the first two - it seems (from the results page) that they've definitely began the process... Is there still hope? :o 

I'm interviewing at Columbia (for Classics) this coming week. Not sure what their timeline is with Classics vs. Classical Studies. Toronto has already sent out acceptances and waitlist notifications -- I received the latter. As far as I know all has been quiet on the Berkeley front, but I'd imagine they'll notify people in the next week or two. Keep your chin up!

8 hours ago, aspasiahaha said:

As far as Toronto goes:  I know that they have sent out initial acceptances, and that their visiting "weekend" is at the end of February.  I haven't heard a peep from Berkeley (as a matter of fact, I haven't heard back from any of the California schools) so we are biting our nails together on that one.

6 hours ago, likeavirgil said:

Still shaking because of the good news: I got into UChicago! The program is perfect :wub: And now I can officially start quitting my job, too!!

Cheers!  Similarly, when I heard from Toronto, I realized I do not need to start looking for a job.  It is indeed a wonderful feeling.  

Based on previous years' results, Harvard and Brown should be sending their interview requests in the next few days. Good luck!

(I'm not applying to either, but WOW: Brown in particular looks absurdly competitive, if the results page is any indication.)

1 hour ago, likeavirgil said:

Based on previous years' results, Harvard and Brown should be sending their interview requests in the next few days. Good luck!

(I'm not applying to either, but WOW: Brown in particular looks absurdly competitive, if the results page is any indication.)

The Brown archaeology page is like that too. It's Brown though so I'm not surprised. 

1 hour ago, Archaic_Smile said:

Anybody else apply to Berkeley's AHMA? Because I got my rejection notification today

One of my cohort also received the rejection this morning. That program is just insanely competitive. Don't lose faith. Hope you will hear good news soon.