Visit Before Acceptance

lemur

One of my schools is flying me out for a visit, everything paid for. I haven't been accepted yet, and I'm not sure what this trip means. From some of the other posts, it seems like these visits usually come after acceptances.

The e-mail says they're very impressed... blah, blah, blah, and that it will give us a chance to get to know one another better.

Any insight into what this visit means? If it's just an interview, why not call it that?

Edited by ECEPhDApplicant

Is there anything wrong with visiting a department before getting accepted (without an invitation as the OP described)? It seems that departments might think it is presumptuous of an applicant (making it look as though the applicant assumes he/she would be accepted before actually getting a letter). However, if I am visiting relatives who happen to live very close to one of the schools I applied to, would it be bad to drop by the campus or maybe set up informational interviews?

Edited by casey825

One of the programs I'm applying to has a big "come visit us!" weekend two weeks before their application is due. One program's website listed a person to contact to set up an informational interview. The others haven't mentioned anything at all about visiting or interviews. I guess it maybe depends?

If I could have taken the time off work, I would definitely have gone to visit schools before applying. I can't imagine it would ever hurt for someone in the department to know your name and face.

Since I applied to the school where I work (doing unrelated stuff), I met two people in the department I applied to as I was finishing my apps. One was really friendly via email, awkward to talk to, but gave me a copy of his book to read, and the other was curt via email but we hit it off right away. It gave me a better idea of how the department works, what they look for in applicants, how they'll approach my transcript ("We know how to read a xyz transcript"), grad projects that are similar to my own interests, even feedback on what to include in my statement of purpose. Plus, I did both meetings in one day, which got me SUPER PSYCHED about grad school, and I plowed through the rest of the application process really efficiently.

Of course, if you're already in the waiting period, maybe you won't get ALL those benefits, but... I'd think you should go for it, if you have the chance!

Is there anything wrong with visiting a department before getting accepted (without an invitation as the OP described)? It seems that departments might think it is presumptuous of an applicant (making it look as though the applicant assumes he/she would be accepted before actually getting a letter). However, if I am visiting relatives who happen to live very close to one of the schools I applied to, would it be bad to drop by the campus or maybe set up informational interviews?

I actually think this is a really good idea. I've met with two professors so far.

The first one was before my application was complete. I actually e-mailed the professor back in October saying I'd be in his area over the break and would like to meet with him. We met, and it ended with him saying that said if I were serious about his school, he could "short-circuit" the admissions process for me. Probably a good thing...

The other one was at a campus I was visiting the other day on my own. I knew the name of a professor in my field there and thought, "What the hell?" Without any prior arrangements, I walked into his assistant's office, introduced myself, and asked if I could just say hi. He let me in, and we ended up talking for an hour. The conversation ended with him verifying that I'd submitted my application and saying that he'd take a look at it. He has a good position in the department, so again, it's probably a good thing...

I'm from a good undergraduate school, and I always make sure to use my campus e-mail address when e-mailing professors. That helps, as does the fact that the second professor also went to my school for undergrad. Still, the e-mails/visits helped, and I wasn't really risking anything if they hadn't worked out.

Edited by ECEPhDApplicant

I'm actually doing this soon, so I hope it's ok! I live about 40 minutes from one of the schools I applied to. They recommend coming for a visit, but it's not required. I would have gone in the fall before the application was due, but I wasn't able to go during the hours they're there, so I've scheduled it for later this month. I do feel kind of weird about it. Like what if they've already decided to accept or reject me? I wonder if they'll give me any idea.

*shrug* I doubt it really matters in the long run. FWIW, when I had the opportunity to do this, I explicitly chose not to. I was actually in the same town as a school I applied to (on vacation because I'm talking about my hometown) and chose not to contact the university or department. (And no, I had never attended the university nor had I met any of its faculty before applying.)

I live close to one of the schools I'm applying to. I personally find it difficult to ascertain from websites what a program is actually like, so I contacted students and professors and visited them this past fall before I had to apply. Long story short, I loved it, so I at least know that the application money was well spent. It really helped me with the application process.

Most places recommend that you visit (if possible) each program before applying. After that it gets tricky - some schools do not want to see or hear from you once your app is in, unless they initiate the contact. They just do not want to be pestered by applicants insecure about their apps. In some cases, however, it is welcomed and a great idea.

I have an unusual academic background, and when I applied to programs in 2006 I got a quick admit from PSU (my alma mater but least preferred), a quick denial from MIT (elitist bastards who can't recognize my unparalleled genius), and a big fat nothing from UT Austin. I contacted UT and asked to meet with some professors and was given a schedule of meetings (travel on my own dime). In the first meeting I was told that I was questionable even for admission (due to early academic misadventures), much less assistantship. By the end of the day I was offered admission and my choice of 1 TA and 2 RA opportunities. Even though I eventually turned it all down for a few years of industry experience, the visit definitely helped.

I think I'm actually going to do this...I applied to MIT, my fiance goes to MIT, so if I visit him I can visit them at the same time....and hopefully that's a good thing...?? I'm nervous about it, but I feel like it would be an opportunity wasted if I didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my schools is flying me out for a visit, everything paid for. I haven't been accepted yet, and I'm not sure what this trip means. From some of the other posts, it seems like these visits usually come after acceptances.

The e-mail says they're very impressed... blah, blah, blah, and that it will give us a chance to get to know one another better.

Any insight into what this visit means? If it's just an interview, why not call it that?

I just thought I'd mention that I just got back from my visit. I received an e-mail from one of their professors saying they really hope I'll choose their school. So...even though it isn't formalized (no official letter of acceptance), I think it's safe to say this visit was an indication of my acceptance.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the same boat! I got an invite (all expenses paid [cross country even]) to a department. I'm definitely going, but I'm not sure whether to be prepared for a good grilling before they admit me, or if it's more a chance for the school to more actively recruit me.....

BLUH!

I saw some cases from the schools that they would invite the applicants to the universities for a visit and pay the whole travel expense (even the long-distance flight from China to U.S.A). But these all happened after the decision of the offer have been made.

I am curious that for those applicant who want to visit the school during the Review period, like me, what should we do to ask for a chance to go for a visit? Who should we contact to? Is it a proper way to do such kind of thing before the admission/offer?

Appreciate of all the answers.:)

I saw some cases from the schools that they would invite the applicants to the universities for a visit and pay the whole travel expense (even the long-distance flight from China to U.S.A). But these all happened after the decision of the offer have been made.

I am curious that for those applicant who want to visit the school during the Review period, like me, what should we do to ask for a chance to go for a visit? Who should we contact to? Is it a proper way to do such kind of thing before the admission/offer?

Appreciate of all the answers.:)

Whether or not you should do this has been discussed a few times already in this forum--this very thread, in fact. The short answer is, "It depends." Your qualifications, their school, the professor you want to work with.

As far as who you should contact, I would start with a short e-mail to the professor you want to work with. Introduce yourself, say why you're interested in their work, mention that you'd like to visit their campus, and ask if you can schedule a meeting with them while you're there.

To be sure, if you aren't invited, don't expect them to pay for anything.

Edited by lemur

Whether or not you should do this has been discussed a few times already in this forum--this very thread, in fact. The short answer is, "It depends." Your qualifications, their school, the professor you want to work with.

As far as who you should contact, I would start with a short e-mail to the professor you want to work with. Introduce yourself, say why you're interested in their work, mention that you'd like to visit their campus, and ask if you can schedule a meeting with them while you're there.

To be sure, if you aren't invited, don't expect them to pay for anything.

Thanks for your answer. I am new here, so you really help me out.

I just got back from a visit where I applied but haven't officially accepted yet. They brought myself and 13 other applicants for two days. We each interviewed with all of the members on the Graduate committee, the Department chair and our prospective advisors. When I was talking with the Grad chair he said that he would be mailing my official offer in the near future and the Department chair and others said that they hoped I'd make the right choice jokingly, implying they wanted me to join their department. All of that would lead me to believe that I'm as good as accepted. That said, it hasn't stopped me from freaking out and second guessing myself and how all of the interviews went and if I'm actually in or not. This website makes waiting 100x more unsettling.

I self-funded a trip to visit multiple schools, all without invitation. Maybe it's just math (maybe not), but it seems only the top programs offer reimbursed visits. It was pretty clear from email which schools were receptive to such am uninvited visit and which weren't. Contact the graduate coordinator first and tell them you be in the area, etc. Ask if they can suggest anything or if you should contact professors individually. In the best case, you identify who you'd like to speak with and this person sets it up providing you a full schedule. In the worse case, you're left to contact professors/graduate students individually. This can be very difficult. I drove far to one school in this situation only to learn very little (and have a flaky grad student stop returning emails the day before the trip... arrrrgh).

Besides that case, all the other visits were extremely helpful. As others mention, it's easy to get a quick gut feeling about the department when in person.

And if you're a stud like me, getting some face time is the best way to help your application!

And to the OP... I think you're getting hung up on the word 'visit' vs. 'interview'! It's an interview! Dress business casual, bring your notes and be yourself!

• 11 months later...

I just thought I'd mention that I just got back from my visit. I received an e-mail from one of their professors saying they really hope I'll choose their school. So...even though it isn't formalized (no official letter of acceptance), I think it's safe to say this visit was an indication of my acceptance.

Sorry, I'm not clear about your anwer: What was the exact nature of that visit? Technical interview or informal chit-chat?

Sorry, I'm not clear about your anwer: What was the exact nature of that visit? Technical interview or informal chit-chat?

I assume you're asking because you're going through this yourself this year.

I'm not sure if it helps, but I can say that all of my visits were about the schools trying to convince me theirs was the right choice for me. There was nothing to stress about and no technical questions. Just a lot of free flights, hotels and food. :) The only sense in which they were interviews was as me interviewing them (with the exception of maybe one or two professors)

Good luck.

I've had a couple of POIs tell me to stop by if I was in the area (not aware that I'm from the southeast and they're in the midwest, obviously). So I mean, I guess it isn't frowned upon in my field, at least. I mean, I would think most professors are generally nice people and wouldn't mind talking to you if you were around.

I assume you're asking because you're going through this yourself this year.

I'm not sure if it helps, but I can say that all of my visits were about the schools trying to convince me theirs was the right choice for me. There was nothing to stress about and no technical questions. Just a lot of free flights, hotels and food. :) The only sense in which they were interviews was as me interviewing them (with the exception of maybe one or two professors)

Good luck.

That's right. I received an invitation to come and visit them. Then I sent an email inquiring about the exact status of my application and they said I would be accepted if they could match me with a suitable supervisor. They're flying me to meet with my potential supervisor next month, but they never call it an interview. At the same time, they're flying me from the West Coast to.....Europe! So I'm hoping they would never spend that much money to simply reject me.

I asked them whether I should prepare anything for that "meeting"; I'll see what they say.

Thanks for your prompt reply.