2017 Computational Biology/Biomedical Informatics PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Oddich55

1 hour ago, desmond.bo said:

Got the first official rejection email for this season. It's from Cornell CB. 

Thanks for the interview for tri-i, I guess it did not hurt me that much.

I think Cornell Tri is totally the better catch there ;)

Is anyone still waiting to hear from Yale BBS-CBB? what are the odds to hear about the application given the interviews are in less than 30 days. Thanks!

9 hours ago, b210 said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear from Yale BBS-CBB? what are the odds to hear about the application given the interviews are in less than 30 days. Thanks!

I heard back in mid-December... :/ 

13 hours ago, b210 said:

Email from Yale BBS yesterday:

"Admissions committees are in the process of contacting domestic applicants about interviews, and international applicants will be contacted in the coming weeks. Good luck!"

23 hours ago, Oddich55 said:

Very true. They are envolved with CAPRICORN, though, a cross-instituation research initiative for biomedical informatics and they are beefing up their computational chops are Northwestern. 

Haha. I'm from Loyola University, on the north side. Where are you from?

25 minutes ago, AGradStudentHasNoName said:

Stanford BMI just gave me a call... invite! GOOOOOOOOD DAAAAY

10 minutes ago, Oddich55 said:

Me as well :P. Meet you there :P

I am a research assistant in UChicago now. 

Congrats to you two. Top dream school. I applied to Chemical and system biology instead of BMI... I am afraid my Stanford is gone...

6 hours ago, eagb said:

I heard back in mid-December... :/ 

Hi, have you got the email from Egencia.com to book the air tickets? Does it mean we can arrive at NYC or Hardford and be picked up by Yale? Thanks

8 minutes ago, SysEvo said:

Hi, have you got the email from Egencia.com to book the air tickets? Does it mean we can arrive at NYC or Hardford and be picked up by Yale? Thanks

They will arrange a shuttle at different times to get us to Yale. 

3 minutes ago, Oddich55 said:

They will arrange a shuttle at different times to get us to Yale. 

Cool! Also I was confused about the policy... A flight to NYC costs only ~200 within the required arrival time but a red flag saying "out of policy"... And I couldn't find any flights meet their policy within the required arrival time...

6 minutes ago, SysEvo said:

Cool! Also I was confused about the policy... A flight to NYC costs only ~200 within the required arrival time but a red flag saying "out of policy"... And I couldn't find any flights meet their policy within the required arrival time...

I would probably contact them :)

1 minute ago, Oddich55 said:

I would probably contact them :)

I did. But the secretary in BBSB never replies my email...Maybe I'll contact the professor for help if I still hear nothing from her......

40 minutes ago, Oddich55 said:

Let us know :)

This is in regards to Stanford BMI interview.

My friend says that in her year they interviewed about 20 and accepted about 10, most of whom enrolled. She said that most of her interviews they accepted most of the applicants, but not at Stanford. So that is something to keep in mind. She says the interview with the reputation for being the hardest is an interview with 2 current students.

So it's not over yet. Have to take it seriously.

Edited by AGradStudentHasNoName

2 minutes ago, bioinformaticsGirl said:

Does anyone know when we hear back from MIT HST? Since the HST and Stanford BMI interviews overlap, is anyone waiting to hear back from HST before accepting Stanford's invite? @AGradStudentHasNoName @Oddich55 @eagb

Historical evidence from thegradcafe survey says January 20th-27th is when they have sent out invites. I assume it will be similar this year. I haven't gotten the official email from stanford yet so I don't know when they want to know by, but I bet it is before the 20th. I have a sneaky suspicion that they do this on purpose to find out which one you really want? But it is tricky. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush as they say. I'm just ecstatic that I got the Stanford invite right now. I hadn't really considered the HST conflict... In the hypothetical world in which I get an HST invite, I would probably clone myself or invent time traveling technology to attend both, perhaps hire a look alike and coach him for a month.... But really, that is tough. Very very very tough. At the same time, I would LOVE to have that hard decision to make. *drools*.

1 hour ago, Oddich55 said:

Same. That's killer. I wonder how many they interview. 

2 hours ago, AGradStudentHasNoName said:

Stanford BMI just gave me a call... invite! GOOOOOOOOD DAAAAY

Big Congrat!

10 hours ago, abc0111 said:

Congrats!

Do you guys know when they will send out emails for interview invites?

Also, have international students received phone calls as well?

They will send out emails next week.

International students - I have no idea. We got calls yesterday, but we are domestic.