Interview Attire

whatsaname

Always ties, if you're wearing a suit, wearing a tie is imo neccesary, if you're wearing a nice dress shirt, then a tie looks much nicer than not wearing one.

Every interview I've been to so far has been all the men wearing suits with ties on the interview day (so I wouldn't worry about being overdressed).

Edited by C is for Caps Locks

1 hour ago, 01848p said:

Do women usually carry purses at interviews? I have two options. One is a small cross-body bag that only has space for basics/essential items. The other is a proper purse large enough to fit a laptop, notebook, folio, umbrella, etc. I don't really like carrying a purse but I'd rather not be the only person without one!

I'm also concerned about this. I have a leather binder I planned to keep extra CV's/my interview questions/etc. in but I am strongly considering carrying a small cross-body purse to keep keys/phone/chapstick/granola bar/wallet in. I'm sure they won't necessarily care all that much as long as you aren't fidgeting with it during the actual interviews but who knows

Oh just thought of something I am growing concerned about. My ladies (and dudes!) with long hair, what did you do with yours for interview? I want to wear it down and curly but am worried that I may be messing with it too much throughout the day. Do you guys think wearing it up is more professional? Thoughts?

23 minutes ago, psychlife4me said:

Oh just thought of something I am growing concerned about. My ladies (and dudes!) with long hair, what did you do with yours for interview? I want to wear it down and curly but am worried that I may be messing with it too much throughout the day. Do you guys think wearing it up is more professional? Thoughts?

I think I'm wearing one down and curly too but I'm worried about frizz, and messing with it like you said. So many things to think about, ughhhh. 

3 minutes ago, stereopticons said:

I think I'm wearing one down and curly too but I'm worried about frizz, and messing with it like you said. So many things to think about, ughhhh. 

EXACTLY! I hadn't even thought about it until a girl in my lab mentioned how someone told her if you tend to touch your hair like bangs, or move it from side to side then maybe think about wearing it up but wearing mine up always gives me a headache. Decisions, decisions.

1 hour ago, 01848p said:

Do women usually carry purses at interviews? I have two options. One is a small cross-body bag that only has space for basics/essential items. The other is a proper purse large enough to fit a laptop, notebook, folio, umbrella, etc. I don't really like carrying a purse but I'd rather not be the only person without one!

I'm definitely taking a big purse and a leather portfolio. I like being prepared and putting snacks and things like Tylenol in it. 

32 minutes ago, psychlife4me said:

I was concerned about this too. I look better with my hair down so that's what I'm going to go with lol but I didn't even think about fidgeting with it! I usually don't but I'll be nervous so who knows. Ugh so many decisions 

12 minutes ago, psychlife4me said:

Mine is long and curly and I wore mine down in Alabama (and then tied it up for lunch and forgot about it).

24 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

Mine is long and curly and I wore mine down in Alabama (and then tied it up for lunch and forgot about it).

This is probably what will happen to me. I'll start off wearing it down and then put it up because it's bugging me and then forget. 

1 hour ago, psychlife4me said:

If you think you'll play with your hair or touch it, I would consider wearing it up. Touching your hair a lot during an interview is definitely something faculty members will pick up on. I'm speaking from experience... I do it sometimes when I'm nervous and one of my POIs found it noticeable enough that she brought it up in a conversation with my current supervisor :wacko: needless to say I will be very careful with my hair for future interviews lol 

3 minutes ago, hsnl said:

If you think you'll play with your hair or touch it, I would consider wearing it up. Touching your hair a lot during an interview is definitely something faculty members will pick up on. I'm speaking from experience... I do it sometimes when I'm nervous and one of my POIs found it noticeable enough that she brought it up in a conversation with my current supervisor :wacko: needless to say I will be very careful with my hair for future interviews lol 

Now I'm going to worry about this, of course! Argh. 

Im trying to pack to leave for an interview weekend tomorrow and getting really frustrated trying to fit all my hair products (necessary to tame my ball o' frizz) into TSA's silly regulations. 

3 minutes ago, stereopticons said:

Im trying to pack to leave for an interview weekend tomorrow and getting really frustrated trying to fit all my hair products (necessary to tame my ball o' frizz) into TSA's silly regulations. 

I feel your pain! I'm trying to pack and it's hard- 3oz is too small ? 

Good luck!! 

58 minutes ago, stereopticons said:

I didn't even think about the 3oz rule when you fly carry on only..ugh!

47 minutes ago, stereopticons said:

Right and I'm too scared to check a bag because this WOULD be the time that it gets lost. 

I'm become a master at the 1-litre bag...I only just managed to fit all my liquids in on the last trip, hoping I can replicate it tomorrow.

For bags: My mom lent me a great black bookbag. It's not giant, just wide enough to fit my leather portfolio/notebook and everything else. I can easily tuck it under a chair.

As for hair: Mine is medium length, but I'm pulling half back. I'm thinking of doing a half french braid around the crown, cute and also I won't need to fidget with it. For the social, I'm wearing it wavy.

10 hours ago, abnumber5 said:

For bags: My mom lent me a great black bookbag. It's not giant, just wide enough to fit my leather portfolio/notebook and everything else. I can easily tuck it under a chair.

As for hair: Mine is medium length, but I'm pulling half back. I'm thinking of doing a half french braid around the crown, cute and also I won't need to fidget with it. For the social, I'm wearing it wavy.

Curious, are you going to the U of South Dakota interview too? 

55 minutes ago, psychapp2016 said:

I'm glad to see this posted! Sorry I'm a bit late. I was engaged last year when I interviewed and I did get questions about how my fiance felt about moving to the area, or about how that would factor in...I don't know if there was any judgement there BUT I opted to not wear it this year to interviews and so far no questions about relationship status...totally up to you, this has just been my experience

Didn't think about this either! I guess I'm not going to wear my engagement ring, best not to have questions or have them wonder 

10 minutes ago, juhidee119 said:

Didn't think about this either! I guess I'm not going to wear my engagement ring, best not to have questions or have them wonder 

I did a couple mock interviews with people and was told that if someone asks, all you have to say is "there is nothing in my personal life that would interfere with my commitment to the program." I think I am going to wear mine and just field the questions. 

Lol people you're overthinking the hair. Wear it however you feel more comfortable. If you know you're prone to fiddling with it then put it up/back. Just bring a light mousse or gel and the night before French braid and bobby pin so next morning it will be less frizzy and you won't have to mess with it as much.

14 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

Lol people you're overthinking the hair. Wear it however you feel more comfortable. If you know you're prone to fiddling with it then put it up/back. Just bring a light mousse or gel and the night before French braid and bobby pin so next morning it will be less frizzy and you won't have to mess with it as much.

But...but...if I'm not overthinking that, then I will have to overthink other things!

15 minutes ago, stereopticons said:

But...but...if I'm not overthinking that, then I will have to overthink other things!

Ponder the larger things in life! Like 'why do bronies exist?' or 'why are chinchillas so dang adorable?

Though I'm 5'10 so i'll be overthinking if someone is going to be scrutinizing why my dress pants don't cover my ankles XD

Update to anyone who remembers my question about wearing a white dress.. during interview day, a faculty member commented to me that she liked my outfit! Nice and bright :) 

Thoughhhh I will NEVER wear white again if I can help it. It was my first in-house interview and I did not anticipate that I would "perspire" as much as I did :lol:  #lessonlearned 

14 hours ago, juhidee119 said:

Curious, are you going to the U of South Dakota interview too? 

No I'm not! I'm in the Deep South but glad to know I have a doppelgänger! ?