Fall 2010 Admission Results

Yay! I talked to the Vice Chair when I went to visit and he said they are doing a lot more grant writing and getting students on board so that they get part of the grant. I also heard from one of the students that after the first year, if you want to teach you usually can and they pay pretty well per class.

That's also what I heard when I visited. Overall, I really like their program and I'm looking forward to going in the fall!

Don't know if others applied... but does anyone know what the situation is with the PhD program in Public Policy at the Harvard Kennedy School? Have they notified the people who were admitted?

I'm currently a masters student at HKS and spoke with my professor who is on the adcomm. I can rely two facts that she mentioned: (1) there was a historic number of PhD applicants this year with a +44% increase; (2) HKS conducts three separate rounds of admissions, during which they offer admissions to the best candidates and rejections to those less qualified. At this point I don't believe they have made any decisions. She also noted that it appears to be extremely competitive this year.

That's all I know as an 'insider'. Hope this helps?!

I'm currently a masters student at HKS and spoke with my professor who is on the adcomm. I can rely two facts that she mentioned: (1) there was a historic number of PhD applicants this year with a +44% increase; (2) HKS conducts three separate rounds of admissions, during which they offer admissions to the best candidates and rejections to those less qualified. At this point I don't believe they have made any decisions. She also noted that it appears to be extremely competitive this year.

That's all I know as an 'insider'. Hope this helps?!

Do you know if this also applies to the PhD program in Political Economy and Government?

Do you know if this also applies to the PhD program in Political Economy and Government?

I was waitlisted for the PEG program. From what I understood when I called the department, there is only one other person on the waitlist and they have sent out all acceptances.

I was waitlisted for the PEG program. From what I understood when I called the department, there is only one other person on the waitlist and they have sent out all acceptances.

Thanks for the info - guess the uncertainty is over for me then!

Sorry, no insight in terms of PEG. I wouldn't want to speculate and mislead you. Based on others in this forum, it appears that degree program has already made their decisions.

I can convey one piece of information about PEG if you're ever interested in reapplying in the future. The number one characteristic PEG's adcomm assesses in candidates is whether an applicant can demonstrate that the program is a good fit. Since its not entirely an econ nor poly sci program, the adcomm wants to be convinced that an applicant can only benefit from a hybrid program such as PEG. An applicant also needs to further demonstrate why an econ / poly sci PhD is alone insufficient for their academic objectives.

.... That's everything I know about PEG! smile.gif

Congrats to everyone who is done with their results - hopefully everyone has some good offers/options :). I just wish that were my situation - still waiting for 4 responses!!

I think Minnesota is a definite for tomorrow. JHU will, I imagine, be some time early this week, but obviously I don't have any knowledge whether it's tomorrow or not...Good luck to everyone who has applied to those schools and any others that have yet to notify!

Thanks for the tip. Apparently they also have partial tuition awards, but not everyone gets them. I hope I'm lucky!

Actually, I told you before that, as long as the financial part is secured, you should take the MA. But you really need to consider if this insane application market will get any better in a year (I assume it was a one-year program). All the schools report unprecedented increase in the number of applicants and being aware of what is going on, you might want to just take Wisconsin-Madison's offer. I mean, it is no Harvard, but knowing how the market is, would you take the risk? What if things get worse next year?

Sorry for sounding bitter. That's what happens when, at this time of the year, one doesn't have any acceptances :)

Edited by curufinwe

I remember someone on here said that Brandeis could be out in early March. Let's hope it's this week. Good luck to all of those still waiting on decisions. Keep your fingers crossed for a Brandeis admit for me!

I asked Brandeis when the committee would gather and how the results would be announced. But received a straight forward msg that they cannot let me know about the committee's schedule, and that they would pick the appropriate method of announcing the results.

I felt like they meant "just shut up and wait!"

Actually, I told you before that, as long as the financial part is secured, you should take the MA. But you really need to consider if this insane application market will get any better in a year (I assume it was a one-year program). All the schools report unprecedented increase in the number of applicants and being aware of what is going on, you might want to just take Wisconsin-Madison's offer. I mean, it is no Harvard, but knowing how the market is, would you take the risk? What if things get worse next year?

Sorry for sounding bitter. That's what happens when, at this time of the year, one doesn't have any acceptances :)

Plus, with a Ph.D. from Wisconsin-Madison, you might possibly end up being a University Professor at Harvard :P

I've got to agree with this. Yale is great, but I would go where I was accepted for a PhD if I were you, especially if they are funding. Take it from someone who knows: trying to get applications ready when you've just started your MA is difficult and makes for poor applications, at least it did for me. And now here I am with no acceptances and working on the MA with no set future. It's very very disheartening.

Sorry, no insight in terms of PEG. I wouldn't want to speculate and mislead you. Based on others in this forum, it appears that degree program has already made their decisions.

I can convey one piece of information about PEG if you're ever interested in reapplying in the future. The number one characteristic PEG's adcomm assesses in candidates is whether an applicant can demonstrate that the program is a good fit. Since its not entirely an econ nor poly sci program, the adcomm wants to be convinced that an applicant can only benefit from a hybrid program such as PEG. An applicant also needs to further demonstrate why an econ / poly sci PhD is alone insufficient for their academic objectives.

.... That's everything I know about PEG! smile.gif

just saw someone's comment in the results page about Harvard admitting 9 students this year in Poli Sci! Any idea if it's true? 9?? that seems ridiculous.

I've got to agree with this. Yale is great, but I would go where I was accepted for a PhD if I were you, especially if they are funding. Take it from someone who knows: trying to get applications ready when you've just started your MA is difficult and makes for poor applications, at least it did for me. And now here I am with no acceptances and working on the MA with no set future. It's very very disheartening.

not sure if you are looking for opinions at the moment or not, rossiya, but I agree with scarlet. I'm finishing an m.a. Presently and have had this problem.

But the biggest problem I think students find with these types of m.a. Programs is a lack of attention from professors. Not only does this make the time spent earning the degree comparable to another senior year as an undergrad, it lowers expectations, hurts feelings, and gives the wrong impression of what serious graduate work is.

But I'm sure that, with your ambition, you will find success with whatever option you choose.

I agree with the above posters re: the MA or PhD question, and for many of the same reasons. I'll add a personal anecdote, which is that I applied to both MAs and PhDs for Fall 2007 and ended up turning down a good PhD offer to go for an MPP instead, with the thought that I'd hone my research interests more and re-apply if/when I was more confident that the PhD was right for me. Now that I AM confident about it, I'm being rejected everywhere (likely even the school that accepted me two years ago!!). For one, it was hard to form as personal a connection with my grad school professors as in undergrad, so my letters weren't as strong, and the professionally-oriented programs just don't give you the same research opportunities with profs. Also, I can't help but wonder if schools now question my dedication to the academic profession seeing as I have more of a policy/professional background now than when I applied 3 years ago. Anyway, just some lessons learned that I hope can help others who are making the PhD/MA choice...

I'm going to be in a similar situation if I'm accepted to Oxford (was previously so it's possible I will be again). I have a fully funded offer from U of T which is a good school. However, I have always dreamed of going to Oxford and it is more highly ranked - but I'd have to pay for it. I feel like Toronto is the right choice, but my heart says Oxford. I'd imagine for Rossiya it's similar - the dream of going to an Ivy, the hope that that would help with getting into an Ivy PhD program afterwards, etc.