Fall 2010 Admission Results

Forget grad school. If I were you I'd focus on my ability to write coherent English.

wink.gif Thanks for your suggestions. I know there is a long way to go for me to become a scholar in english academia. i will keeping learning, practising while trying to get into a PhD. Any suggestions from you in regard with english proficiency and PhD applications will be much appreciated.

Any one hear back from MA in Global Governance at University of Waterloo? I got accepted over the phone about a month ago ( I forgot to ask about funding...urghh). I haven't heard a peep from them about an official letter or the funding situation. Any one know more?

I am waiting to hear from GW and USC. I already look at GW as a rejection and frankly speaking I am not very optimistic about USC. I think we can easily say no for spring admissions. Even if there are some, most probably they don't offer financial aid to spring admissions. I am not planning to apply again - I will try to find a job and apply after one or two years. There are way too many applicants, and well I guess I am not good enough. A short job experience might make me look better.

Don't get me wrong (well I am pretty much in the same situation), but if you get rejected in Fall 2010, I don't think you can easily find a placement in Spring 2011.

Thanks for your idea. Yes, the ultra competition is beyond my imagination. Perhaps, it is not in a rush to get into a PhD and later feel regretful about this hurry decision. GW usually received 200 applicants but this year I suppose they doubled this numbers. Maybe it is not you are not good enough to get in, but you, (I also) have not found some programs exactly match!~ I think if I have another chance, i will explore a big proportion of time to select suitable programs.

Best luck of all.

Accepted at the University of Houston with full funding (TA)

Think Houston is better than Texas Tech and Ole Miss? Opinions?

Congrats on your acceptance. I'd definitely go with Houston...they're one of the most under-rated unranked programs, especially if you're looking to do American politics (from what I remember, you are). Given that you have full funding and a TA-ship, I'm not telling you what to do, but were I in your position and confronted with the same choices that you mentioned, I'd have an easy time picking Houston. Best of luck! smile.gif

I just received an official acceptance from YALE's MA program (East Asian Studies). I was referred from PHD program. But it comes with no funding at all. If anyone on this forum that is being accepted to this program get any funding? unsure.gif

I think it is their usual way to let the masters students pay themselves to fund their PhD students. But at least, you got into Yale, so that you may find some chances to work and survive, I suppose.

Congrats on your acceptance. I'd definitely go with Houston...they're one of the most under-rated unranked programs, especially if you're looking to do American politics (from what I remember, you are). Given that you have full funding and a TA-ship, I'm not telling you what to do, but were I in your position and confronted with the same choices that you mentioned, I'd have an easy time picking Houston. Best of luck! smile.gif

I agree with AP. From what I know of your options, Houston is the clear winner. Besides, I like the general neighborhood. wink.gif

Re: the latest Notre Dame news on the results page. I have truly never seen anything like this. It seems there is fourth category between "rejected" and "wait-listed", and we are in that ether (which is better than being rejected outright, certainly).

It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination...

I thought the conclusion was that those were all fake? I'm operating under the assumption that I've been rejected and they're just taking their time telling me. Ditto Georgetown, at this point. (Has anyone in American heard from Georgetown yet? Is it possible that they're doing admits by subfield and haven't gotten around to us lowly Americanists yet?)

Edited by mcnollgast

Thanks for the info! Coming from Indy, I know what you mean about a car. hahaha

Ya... im for houston as well.... i actually grew up there - its a great city once you get to know the place.... U will of course need a car!!!

Sanssocui,

If you PM me, I have some information about how Illinois-Chicago funds students, it's pretty interesting. Also, Illinois is having some big time budget troubles too.

Just phoned Illinois-Chicago (UIC), they said they'd hopefully have decisions as soon as two weeks, but it may be longer. Didn't sound terribly optimistic about funding.

Anyone wanna call Alex at USC today and see what's up? I know someone on this forum called last week and reported that they're making another round of decisions "real soon". I still find it astonishing that with a Dec 1 deadline they still haven't completed their admissions process. Makes me wonder about the program itself....

Has anyone heard from Toronto? The results thread says decisions were made and sent out but there are no acceptances on the results page....only 1 waitlist and I find that odd.

Asked GWU if they had a waitlist for funding and learned that they do. Regardless, I am not in that list either :)

How do you know you're not on the funding waitlist? Who did you ask?

Edited by gravityflyer

How do you know you're not on the funding waitlist? Who did you ask?

I replied to the "Congratulations, you are in" message and Martha Finnemore told me. I actually asked "do you guys have a waitlist for funding. If so, can I learn my spot?" and she said "I'm afraid you are not on it, which means we will not offer you funding".

Accepted at Oxford (MPhil Comparative Government)

No surprise there... smile.gif

Just declined offers from Oxford (MPhil IR) and LSE MSc IR Research.

Have you had any further thoughts on where you will end up?

No surprise there... smile.gif

Just declined offers from Oxford (MPhil IR) and LSE MSc IR Research.

Have you had any further thoughts on where you will end up?

It's either Harvard PEG or Stanford for me. You? Still considering Stanford?

Yes, definitely still considering Stanford. smile.gif

Visiting Princeton next week so I wont be able to make up my mind until then, but I am hoping for some "divine inspiration"... wink.gif

You have visited both Harvard and Stanford, right? How are you going about making your deicision?

GoCardinal -

Congrats on getting into Oxford!! Although it sounds like you have some great offers from other places as well. Did you hear from Oxford by post? Today?

I haven't posted on here yet but have been checking for weeks, usually to discover disappointing news. I've only gotten rejections and am stilling waiting from GW ( which judging by the absence of an email in my inbox yesterday , isn't looking good) and the University of Arizona (been wait-listed). So, if any of you have an acceptance there and aren't planning on taking it, I'd really appreciate it! Otherwise, it's back to square one for applications for 2011!