Fall 2010 Admission Results

I'll go ahead and claim the NSSR MA and McGill MA acceptances, what a day!

PS, as has already been mentioned on this board: vacations are a great way to ease the pressure. This is where I was last weekend:

http://www.nytimes.c...4monterrey.html

Congrats!

Who did you email for McGill? Any other info about the Poli Sci Masters (funding, number of accepted applicants, whether all the acceptances are out, etc)?

Congrats!

Who did you email for McGill? Any other info about the Poli Sci Masters (funding, number of accepted applicants, whether all the acceptances are out, etc)?

Let's see, I emailed Stephanie Scognamiglio to see if she could push me along the right track, but that shouldn't be necessary! They told me to check Minerva (McGill's online portal) and a decision had been made on my online application. A letter should be arriving at my house "any day now" detailing the terms etc.

Also! News from an email with Louis Tentsos in Toronto:

"The initial decisions for the first ā€œroundā€ of the MA admissions have gone out already... Itā€™s going to come down to how many students in the first round accept their offer of admission...Weā€™ve requested all our students with offers to respond by April 8th, hopefully by the following week weā€™ll have a better understanding of how much room there is."

Further, my advice to anyone still waiting would be to go ahead and email the department, it's brought me nothing but courteous, pleasant responses. Good luck!

curufinwe, would next week, or two weeks, give you enough time to make a decision?

I actually started liking CUNY. With Eva Bellin, and few more people with nice backgrounds who study Latin America and democratization, I think I might pick CUNY even if Brandeis sent an acceptance. Yeah, 18K a year is very low for NYC, but I assume I could get another 10h/week work in the university library or something.

The only concern I have is that CUNY is around 50 in the placement rankings whereas Brandeis is around 25. Should I be the optimistic butterfly and hope that I can publish stuff and be one of the exceptions from such schools? :D

I actually started liking CUNY. With Eva Bellin, and few more people with nice backgrounds who study Latin America and democratization, I think I might pick CUNY even if Brandeis sent an acceptance. Yeah, 18K a year is very low for NYC, but I assume I could get another 10h/week work in the university library or something.

The only concern I have is that CUNY is around 50 in the placement rankings whereas Brandeis is around 25. Should I be the optimistic butterfly and hope that I can publish stuff and be one of the exceptions from such schools? :D

I'm feeling the same way. I was accepted at UMass, which ranks close to CUNY in terms of placement, and while I'm still anxious to hear from Brandeis, I'm growing to like UMass more and more, especially given all of the recent hires in my subfield (American)...We'll see what happens.

So USC is the last decision I'm waiting for, and while I feel rejection looming ahead, I also want to know why the decision is taking so long. The informal waitlist is a good guess, but at the same time have there been ANY rejections? All applicants can't be on the waitlist.

P.S. Sorry I keep posting about USC, but I'm just so annoyed... 4 months...geesh!

No point worrying about anonymity now I guess. I'm a current MA there. It was in my mailbox on campus.

So the people who wrote your recommendations may have rejected you? I imagine that will make for an uncomfortable rest of the semester. Do you think your lack of success warns against people joining up in their MA program?

So the people who wrote your recommendations may have rejected you? I imagine that will make for an uncomfortable rest of the semester. Do you think your lack of success warns against people joining up in their MA program?

My opinion is irrelevant. Everyone's experience is different and you shouldn't gauge your expectations by mine. Best of luck. Hopefully you won't share my "lack of success."

It's not that uncommon (from what I understand) for BA/MA institutions to reject their own students for the PhD. So I wouldn't say it's anything this poster did or didn't do successfully.

So USC is the last decision I'm waiting for, and while I feel rejection looming ahead, I also want to know why the decision is taking so long. The informal waitlist is a good guess, but at the same time have there been ANY rejections? All applicants can't be on the waitlist.

P.S. Sorry I keep posting about USC, but I'm just so annoyed... 4 months...geesh!

i haven't heard anything back from USC yet either... and i even emailed Alex Venegas, but haven't heard back from him either.... i'm guessing i'm waitlisted too... but i know that some people did receive rejections, like a month ago ?

it seems the name of the game this year is, which university can release their final decisions the latest . i guess everyone's just trying to create an impossible situation whereby students that are accepted so late (after April) would already have accepted other offers cos they didn't have any guarantees they would get admitted to that uni so had to take what was already on offer. I think that many universities are being very dishonest and are just trying to get as much money in application fees as they can, while having made an advance decision not to accept any students with full funding...

i've been calling alex venegas at USC for about a month and he keeps telling me "you will know soon." he never specified whether or not they were done sending acceptances, so I assume there still is a slim hope. i was hoping he would tell if they were done. i am just upset since every passing they brings more pressure to make a decision.

I just turned down an offer to UCLA for theory... I dont know if that will make a difference to anyone (oh and it was an unfunded offer just btw).

Cornell University here i come.

Congrats! What a great choice!

i haven't heard anything back from USC yet either... and i even emailed Alex Venegas, but haven't heard back from him either.... i'm guessing i'm waitlisted too... but i know that some people did receive rejections, like a month ago ?

it seems the name of the game this year is, which university can release their final decisions the latest . i guess everyone's just trying to create an impossible situation whereby students that are accepted so late (after April) would already have accepted other offers cos they didn't have any guarantees they would get admitted to that uni so had to take what was already on offer. I think that many universities are being very dishonest and are just trying to get as much money in application fees as they can, while having made an advance decision not to accept any students with full funding...

Oh ok, I was wondering if they ever did a first wave of rejections. How did you find out? Those that have posted on the results page have only been acceptances.

I received another e-mail from CUNY:

"I suspect that the admissions letter you received offered a decision deadline of April 15 and, so far as admissions goes, that's accurate. For fellowships, however, it is important for us in the Program office to know as soon as possible whether you plan to enroll."

How dare they put pressure on me to decide when NONE of the professors I sent an e-mail to discuss the program replied back!!! Are they thinking "if you are even considering our university, you must be desperate. Beggars can't be choosers, so either accept it or f*** off!" ? I don't even get to talk to any faculty member??

And Brandeis better be FAST!!!

end of vent.

Curufinwe, Wish you could get some good news about Brandeis!! Good luck!

Guys. I have question: I get unfunded offer and some other gets funded offer, If some other turns down their offers, you think I could have chance to get fund? So could school give fund to unfunded students when funded students turn down their offers? Thanks a lot!

Curufinwe, Wish you could get some good news about Brandeis!! Good luck!

Guys. I have question: I get unfunded offer and some other gets funded offer, If some other turns down their offers, you think I could have chance to get fund? So could school give fund to unfunded students when funded students turn down their offers? Thanks a lot!

Thanks

You should ask the school if they have a waitlist for funding. and if so, where do you stand on that list?

I asked that when I got an unfunded offer from GWU and they replied, telling me that they do have a waitlist for funding, but I was not on it (meaning, no possibility of funding for me).

Oh geez. FINALLY.

I heard back from USC.

It's a rejection. :rolleyes:

Their email was funny, weird, rude, etc. Wasn't expecting any different after this long and disrespectful delay. :angry:

I'm ever so glad I did not even wait to hear from them to accept another offer and get my study permit procedure started. B)

Congrats to all those -- if any -- who were extended admission to USC after this long delay. :P

PS: to give you an idea about the letter (mass email to all rejected persons) I received in the email (and I would be grateful if someone could decipher it for me lol ) :

Our apologies for not responding to you sooner, but decision-making had entered the nuanced, final stages and we needed confirmation from all the key players concerned as to how we would proceed.

Unfortunately, we cannot offer you admission to our program at this time. We were faced with a very tough decision, especially among such an impressive group of applicants. Although you have not been admitted at this time, we encourage you to apply again in the future.

Edited by TheSquirrel

Oh ok, I was wondering if they ever did a first wave of rejections. How did you find out? Those that have posted on the results page have only been acceptances.

I remember having also seen rejections...

Oh geez. FINALLY.

I heard back from USC.

It's a rejection. rolleyes.gif

Their email was funny, weird, rude, etc. Wasn't expecting any different after this long and disrespectful delay. angry.gif

I'm ever so glad I did not even wait to hear from them to accept another offer and get my study permit procedure started. cool.gif

Congrats to all those -- if any -- who were extended admission to USC after this long delay. tongue.gif

PS: to give you an idea about the letter (mass email to all rejected persons) I received in the email (and I would be grateful if someone could decipher it for me lol ) :

Our apologies for not responding to you sooner, but decision-making had entered the nuanced, final stages and we needed confirmation from all the key players concerned as to how we would proceed.

Unfortunately, we cannot offer you admission to our program at this time. We were faced with a very tough decision, especially among such an impressive group of applicants. Although you have not been admitted at this time, we encourage you to apply again in the future.

That rejection sounded like it was written by a business major.