Fall 2010 Admission Results

Hey guys, new poster here. Just got into UCSD. To the other admits: did you receive a subfield in the admission email? Mine doesn't specify...

Good luck to everyone else!

It seems like we all got the same email with no specification of field/funding details. Maybe we will get an email from a professor in our subfield soon.

Hey guys, new poster here. Just got into UCSD. To the other admits: did you receive a subfield in the admission email? Mine doesn't specify...

Good luck to everyone else!

I didn't, but I'm assuming it's the one you applied to. I doubt they'd change an Americanist to a Methodist. :P

So I guess since there are 5 spots and 3 have been claimed on this site, we can be pretty sure that's over with.

As someone who got one of those spots (that makes 4 here on gradcafe), I'm still a bit nerve-wracked at this point. They're going to schedule me for an interview, yet I've no clear idea the likelihood of being admitted. No matter how large the applicant pool was for Emory, getting this far hasn't made possibly being out at Northwestern, NYU and Berkeley feel any better....

I'm like in the biggest limbo - uncertain good news balanced with possible bad news :(

Perhaps I'm being a bit pessimistic.

Any other Emory applicants feel the same way?

Edited by SansSociety

As someone who got one of those spots (that makes 4 here on gradcafe), I'm still a bit nerve-wracked at this point. They're going to schedule me for an interview, yet I've no clear idea the likelihood of being admitted. No matter how large the applicant pool was for Emory, getting this far hasn't made possibly being out at Northwestern, NYU and Berkeley feel any better....

I'm like in the biggest limbo - uncertain good news balanced with possible bad news :(

Perhaps I'm being a bit pessimistic.

Any other Emory applicants feel the same way?

So every department is different, but I know at several departments at Emory, "interview" really just means "admit weekend." So hopefully you've got a good shot!

I doubt they'd change an Americanist to a Methodist. :P

I'd have to say I'd be pretty shocked if they made you become a Methodist as well, I didn't think they had a religious affiliation at UCSD. In all seriousness, it has to be what you applied for (i.e. im sure they didnt change you from an americanist to a methodologist).

Edited by anxiousmike

Someone just posted a Princeton acceptance. Is anyone going to claim it? It seems quite early, based on past years' results.

Hopefully just another hoax meant to induce palpitations.

I'd have to say I'd be pretty shocked if they made you become a Methodist as well, I didn't think they had a religious affiliation at UCSD. In all seriousness, it has to be what you applied for (i.e. im sure they didnt change you from an americanist to a methodologist).

Don't play semantics (diction?) with me! :P

(PS I love puns)

I am very pleased to let you know that your application to the Ph.D. program in Political Science at UCSD was enthusiastically approved by the Admissions Committee.

I AM FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW! I DID NOT EXPECT THIS IN ANY WAY! I just found out four minutes ago in the middle of my econometrics class and the shock on my face caught my teachers attention and made me tell the whole class what was up!

I can sleep again.

PS

"We will be in contact with you soon with more information on the open house. In addition, I will be sending you a letter with the terms of our financial offer on or before March 1. "

You're awesome. Congrats!

Don't suppose anyone has been in touch with UCLA laterly? Just wondered if we had any idea when acceptances might go out?

PS. Emailed Northwestern and rang them twice, no reply. Wish they would just reject me and not play around!

Don't suppose anyone has been in touch with UCLA laterly? Just wondered if we had any idea when acceptances might go out?

PS. Emailed Northwestern and rang them twice, no reply. Wish they would just reject me and not play around!

I second that question. Also does anyone know anything about Harvard PEG? The app deadline was later than Harvard's, if I recall correctly. Wondering if that means they get back later, too. Of course since they only accept 4 people it's a pipe-dream, but whatever...

I can empathize with the sentiment. I'd rather get an impersonal rejection letter sent along with the acceptances.

They're playing with people's lives/sanity.

I emailed Will Reno this morning and he confirmed my suspicion that I'd been rejected, so I would

suggest trying him.

Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted at UCSD. I look forward to meeting most of you next month. If you have any questions about the program, shoot me a PM so we do not clog up this thread. I'd be more than happy to answer anything you'd like to throw at me before the official communications start coming at you.

I'll email him first thing tomorrow. On an unrelated note, you got in UCSD and was rejected by Northwestern. How's that possible? What's your subfield again?

I think it's actually quite common to get into UCSD and be rejected by Northwestern. UCSD's acceptance rate has been around 25% the past two years, while Northwestern's has been 11%. I think UCSD has a larger incoming class and lower yield than Northwestern. Admittedly though, the comparison doesn't take into account the quality of the applicants, and says nothing about which school has better training/faculty.

Edited by polisciFTW

In at UCSD.

Hope I can visit, need to finish thesis!

Geeeeez. If you're suddenly paranoid about anything, it's probably the horribly difficult decision that will be awaiting you! Congrats!

Anyone want to claim the Cornell acceptance?

So far I haven't heard anything official...just the Yale MA stuff. I'm assuming I'm out at Northwestern which really won't break my heart at all especially if Yale works out. The anticipation is driving me mad!