Fall 2010 Admission Results

Agreed. I'm waiting for all those places too. Curious how people would rank them all? For example, in a perfect world, how would people choose between PEG and Stanford GSB? There's no way I'll be making that choice, but it's still interesting to ask!

Agreed. I'm waiting for all those places too. Curious how people would rank them all? For example, in a perfect world, how would people choose between PEG and Stanford GSB? There's no way I'll be making that choice, but it's still interesting to ask!

GSB is more AP while PEG is more international. This means I am probably not getting into GSB. Also, PEG almost never accepts Americans. And 50% of its students seem to be coming from KSG (MPP or MPA). This program is the most extreme version of the Ivory Tower. Perhaps, this is why its students don't really become academics at all.

Anyone expect more acceptances from Berkeley and NYU tomorrow? I really don't know if I can handle a holiday weekend without having gotten one acceptance or rejection.

The wonderful graduate admissions personal at Berkeley told me that everyone will hear by the end of next week, but made no comment about whether they will be letting anyone else in. I would guess that they are done with acceptances, but you never know.

Talked to the graduate coordinator from Rochester. She said that all applicants have been either accepted or rejected but for two who are listed as "pending". I'm one of those two. She said that likely means I'm wait-listed (they normally keep their wait list to just two or three applicants) but that she would get back to me officially via phone tomorrow or early next week.

It would certainly help if these programs would give at least vague ideas of what the funding situations are when they send out the admissions offers.

They could, but that may require you to wait until the end of the month to find out if you are admitted. So there's an opportunity cost. Do you want to have most of the uncertainly taken away with a vague acceptance, or do you want to wait until they've finalized funding packages?

They could, but that may require you to wait until the end of the month to find out if you are admitted. So there's an opportunity cost. Do you want to have most of the uncertainly taken away with a vague acceptance, or do you want to wait until they've finalized funding packages?

I understand your point, but some places are able to inform admits about funding and admission at the same time. What is the difference that allows some to do it while others cannot? Are they waiting for some budget issues to be ironed out?

Do you plan to visit at least?

I got into 10 programs last year, but was only able to visit two. Part of this was timing. Three of the programs admitted me off their wait list and their visitation weekends had come and gone. Part of this was narrowing down my decision set to a smaller group of schools and only going to those that I knew I had a high likelihood of attending. By the end of February, I narrowed my initial seven acceptances down to a set of three schools that I knew I'd like to go to. Part of this was based on fit of the programs I was accepted to, part of this was based on the quality of training, and the final part was based on the quality of the financial aid package. Ultimately, I only went to two schools, primarily because those first two visits negated the need for the third visit--I knew that I would go to either school A or school B.

Nonetheless, it's nice to have this awesome opportunity to visit a bunch of places I had never been, but having a full time job made it necessary to make a number of choices early in the process.

I don't think I'll visit. I know I'm declining it because 1) Wisconsin is a a better research fit for me, and 2) Wisconsin is substantially higher ranked than UVA (#15 vs. #33) and, while UVA's program is very interesting and they have great faculty, I have to keep my job marketability in mind.

There are a lot of great faculty here at UVA. I assume you wanted to work with Allen Lynch; never taken a class with him, though I've heard very good things. Nonetheless, I can easily understand you wanting to go to Wisconsin.

GSB is more AP while PEG is more international. This means I am probably not getting into GSB. Also, PEG almost never accepts Americans. And 50% of its students seem to be coming from KSG (MPP or MPA). This program is the most extreme version of the Ivory Tower. Perhaps, this is why its students don't really become academics at all.

Just as a note, from one who has had the opportunity to sit in on committee meetings and job talks for candidates from both...

The name and pending degree from either school will get you an academic interview just about anywhere you can think up. Once you're in the door, however, you have to show up. What you should realize is that these schools tend to get above grade students, and provide above grade educations. As such, once you go on the market, expectations from receiving institutions are high. We've been happily surprised, and disappointed with candidates from both. As such, I've seen them both hired, and turned away. Good surprises come from bright students who have much to contribute, and disappointments have come in vein of, "If this person got admitted to A, every student at B-Z also should have."

When you're talking about ranking schools like Stanford, Michigan, Harvard, etc... get your butt through the door, and don't rest on your laurels. Obviously one may fit better than another, yaddayadda... regardless, you'll have all of the tools in the world at your disposal, including yourself. Take advantage of them. Rankings matter, but they won't secure you a job.

Just as a note, from one who has had the opportunity to sit in on committee meetings and job talks for candidates from both...

The name and pending degree from either school will get you an academic interview just about anywhere you can think up. Once you're in the door, however, you have to show up. What you should realize is that these schools tend to get above grade students, and provide above grade educations. As such, once you go on the market, expectations from receiving institutions are high. We've been happily surprised, and disappointed with candidates from both. As such, I've seen them both hired, and turned away. Good surprises come from bright students who have much to contribute, and disappointments have come in vein of, "If this person got admitted to A, every student at B-Z also should have."

When you're talking about ranking schools like Stanford, Michigan, Harvard, etc... get your butt through the door, and don't rest on your laurels. Obviously one may fit better than another, yaddayadda... regardless, you'll have all of the tools in the world at your disposal, including yourself. Take advantage of them. Rankings matter, but they won't secure you a job.

Thanks for this insight. I have met grad students from both as well. They are extremely nice and smart and gave me lots of advice.

Wow - whoever is posting fake Princeton and Yale results is both immature and cruel. Totally, tangentially, I got good news from Yale today for the one non-poli sci program I applied to. In for the PhD in Forestry and Environmental Studies, with funding details to follow.

Anyone expect more acceptances from Berkeley and NYU tomorrow? I really don't know if I can handle a holiday weekend without having gotten one acceptance or rejection.

I'm a theorist and applied to nyu. I called and was fairly forthcoming "the graduate website indicates offers are made by mid-february, so am I right to assume I didn't get an offer?". This call was to the dept specific coordinator and she told me she does not know/cannot comment on acceptances.

I took this to mean the acceptances went out. I didn't hear any theory admits making any noises here but who knows. Nyu pretty much accepts in one day then rejects a month later.

I'm a theorist and applied to nyu. I called and was fairly forthcoming "the graduate website indicates offers are made by mid-february, so am I right to assume I didn't get an offer?". This call was to the dept specific coordinator and she told me she does not know/cannot comment on acceptances.

I took this to mean the acceptances went out. I didn't hear any theory admits making any noises here but who knows. Nyu pretty much accepts in one day then rejects a month later.

How do you know you have been rejected from Yale?? sad.gif

Wow - whoever is posting fake Princeton and Yale results is both immature and cruel. Totally, tangentially, I got good news from Yale today for the one non-poli sci program I applied to. In for the PhD in Forestry and Environmental Studies, with funding details to follow.

Whoahhhhh! that thing is impossible to get into!!!!

How do you know you have been rejected from Yale?? sad.gif

My rejections are in parentheses merely because they're not official ... But if posts of acceptances on this site are accurate,and calls to and responses from both schools indicative, offers have gone out at both schools.

My rejections are in parentheses merely because they're not official ... But if posts of acceptances on this site are accurate,and calls to and responses from both schools indicative, offers have gone out at both schools.

I'm betting the Y&P decisions are fakes...not a single one was claimed on this thread...