Fall 2010 Admission Results

I just asked Columbia about decision notification timlines and they said early to mid March. So maybe they just did the first round admits and are waiting to see what the yield rate is (or are still deliberating over some people). There might still be hope.

Ok thanks for that. Good to know. :rolleyes:

I got one of them. It seemed to be a mass email, although they did use my name ...

Thanks v. much! Looks like it'll be moving to the official rejection pile for me then.

Also, on Columbia, I think they already sent out waitlists too? So even if the decision time line is mid-March, they will have to let in the current waitlistees before they even consider going back into the applicant pool :(

I got into UMSL (not unexpected) but they didn't give me funding. I am the first alternate. I certainly like their head of Public Policy, but will stick with comparatives at Missouri where I may have a fellowship AND Ta'ship.

Is there really no one else still waiting to hear something from Yale?

I highly suggest calling if you haven't heard anything by now (because it seems most people got their rejections/admissions notices). They may have the wrong email address down for you? (That happened to me at a different school)

Thanks, APGradApplicant, for the nice summary and the weekly forecast :). But I would like to second that question (it has been brought up at least three or four times already): anyone know anything about Cornell?

Someone from Cornell called my advisor and asked her what the chances would be that I would come if I got the offer (she responded that Cornell was in my top three, but no other details). So they are definitely going through folders. It is a strange question to ask, though.

Edited by politicalscienceguy

Someone from Cornell called my advisor and asked her what the chances would be that I would come if I got the offer (she responded that Cornell was in my top three, but no other details). So they are definitely going through folders. It is a strange question to ask, though.

Someone from Rochester e-mailed one of my LOR-writers asking the same question. Ditto for Florida. I think schools that make decisions later on might try to avoid sending out acceptances to people who have already been accepted to their top choice and have accepted/are on the brink of accepting that offer. That's what my professor said.

Congrats everyone on some fantastic acceptances over the past few days. Is there anyone else here who has yet to hear either way from Michigan? I have to assume its a no, but I never did receive a rejection email during the wave that went out, nor has my Wolverine account been updated. Maybe, I will just have to give the admissions person a call to confirm my not getting in.

Edited by Coldgrad

Someone from Rochester e-mailed one of my LOR-writers asking the same question. Ditto for Florida. I think schools that make decisions later on might try to avoid sending out acceptances to people who have already been accepted to their top choice and have accepted/are on the brink of accepting that offer. That's what my professor said.

Thanks. I'm new here. How do you get your stats in gray underneath your comment?

Congrats everyone on some fantastic acceptances over the past few days. Is there anyone else here who has yet to hear either way from Michigan? I have to assume its a no, but I never did receive a rejection email during the wave that went out, nor has my Wolverine account been updated. Maybe, I will just have to give the admissions person a call to confirm my not getting in.

Sadly, I was rejected. Received via email.

Strong program but not one where too many of the folks here seemed to have applied. I would call if I were you...

well...I am actually transferring from one of the top 20, due to a family reason. so far, desperate.

some personal tips to those who are about to decide where to go (that I did not know when I decided):

--Do NOT choose very countryside school regardless of its ranking, if you are a city person and think diversity is important.

--Check how many grad students drops from the program. It means not only the program is harsh (or naive) but also it means it is less friendly overall.

--Weather is a lot more important than you think.

--If you have money, then getting funding from the program is little important. If the school gives funding but does not satisfy the above three, don't go there.

Remember it takes (at least) 5 years in ph.ding....

well...I am actually transferring from one of the top 20, due to a family reason. so far, desperate.

some personal tips to those who are about to decide where to go (that I did not know when I decided):

--Do NOT choose very countryside school regardless of its ranking, if you are a city person and think diversity is important.

--Check how many grad students drops from the program. It means not only the program is harsh (or naive) but also it means it is less friendly overall.

--Weather is a lot more important than you think.

--If you have money, then getting funding from the program is little important. If the school gives funding but does not satisfy the above three, don't go there.

Remember it takes (at least) 5 years in ph.ding....

Honestly, I don't agree with many of your points. The decision should be based on what is best for your career, and if you want debt. Funding is extremely important, and the weather isn't.

I am only posting this because I saw the school in someone's signature...

In at Washington State. No word on funding.

Congrats! I told you you'd get in to places (as I remember you were worried back in Jan that you would be shut out everywhere...)!

Best of luck at wherever you end up!

Congrats! I told you you'd get in to places (as I remember you were worried back in Jan that you would be shut out everywhere...)!

Best of luck at wherever you end up!

You know it! 3 for 4 with 1 funded offer so far. Not too bad, not too bad at all!

Honestly, I don't agree with many of your points. The decision should be based on what is best for your career, and if you want debt. Funding is extremely important, and the weather isn't.

Well, I guess what poppory meant was that dropping out of a program (e.g. because the weather sucks and you hate to live there) probably isn´t good for your career either.