Reality Check...

Hello fellow SLP grad school hopefuls,

Like most of you, I am frantically applying to grad schools for the Fall 2017 year.  I will be graduating with my Bachelors in Communication Disorders in spring, and am panicking a little.  I have very good and very bad grades, depending on how you look at it.  I'm now going to do the stat check to see if there are any other schools I should be looking at (think green, trees, pretty, not so expensive but cute place for a family).  Are there ones with a February deadline?  That would be so cool as all of my schools are 1/15 deadline and I'm scared I won't make it!  I am also a little worried because a few of the programs I want to apply to have neuroanatomy as a prerequisite to grad school and my university does not have that class as an undergrad.  Is there anything I can do about that?

Stats:

Cumulative GPA (I was a terrible, terrible student for years as another major many moons ago):

Last 60 Units GPA (hoping they really look at this and not the GPA above):

about 3.91-ish

CD Units GPA (Yay!):

VR:

QR (Boo!):

AW:

I know my GRE isn't great, but a 300 isn't the worst either.  If I don't get accepted anywhere, then maybe I'll take the GRE again for next year's cycle?  But really, I just want to be accepted into a grad program.  As of now, I'm applying to Portland State U, University of Oregon, Pacific University, Western Washington U, Eastern Washington U, Washington State U, CSU Northridge, University of Redlands.  Where else should I be looking?  Or should I be looking at these places at all?  

Thanks!!!  

There are a bunch of online pre-requisite programs. I did neuro. at Northern Arizona University online. I also did some pre-reqs at University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire. They were really easy to register for, and not too expensive. I would look closely at the programs you are applying for to see how strict they are. Some programs will let you complete some courses once in the programs, others require that all pre-reqs are done before enrolling. 

In terms of your grades focus on schools who put more emphasis on the last 60 hours, they usually say this on their admissions page. Also look on http://www.asha.org/edfind/ to find programs that match your stats. If you are using CSDCAS they have a list of participating programs with deadlines so you can easily find schools with a February deadline. Best of luck!

Edited by Alicia124

12 minutes ago, SLPsingballs said:

Thanks!  Does Speech Science/Hearing Science cover this?  I think my classes covered neuromuscular structures and functions.  It's just listed as separate for several programs.  It's all so confusing!

Speech and Hearing Science is a separate course and another required prereq in many programs. 

Go to Eastern New Mexico University for the neuroscience of communication. It's 3 credits, very cheap and I learned a lot!

Edited by ImHis

Thanks again!  Is this something that can wait until after the spring semester?  Is there an option in the summer?  I will be taking a good 12-13 units this spring before graduation, and I don't really want to take the class before then. But if spring the only option then I would rather get it done of course.  

For the neuroanatomy requirement, I believe it depends on the program. Some might allow you to take it as a graduate student, but others may require you to take it before enrolling. It's best to email the programs directly and ask. I'm not too familiar with many of the programs you listed, but ASHA edfind is a pretty good resource to see how your stats match up to different schools' requirements. Some schools also list this information on their department website as well. 

31 minutes ago, SLPsingballs said:

Thanks again!  Is this something that can wait until after the spring semester?  Is there an option in the summer?  I will be taking a good 12-13 units this spring before graduation, and I don't really want to take the class before then. But if spring the only option then I would rather get it done of course.  

It is offered on campus in the spring. It's also offered online in the summer.

University of Louisiana at Lafayette is where I currently attend (I'm a jr getting my bachelors in CODI) and our grad program has a feb deadline. They also do not use CSDCAS. 

Edited by CajunSLP18

I'm currently in the master's program at Western Washington U, and their app deadline is February 1st. No CSDCAS, either, if I recall. So keep that one on the list! It's a great program, too. :)

8 hours ago, jessie_lee said:

I'm currently in the master's program at Western Washington U, and their app deadline is February 1st. No CSDCAS, either, if I recall. So keep that one on the list! It's a great program, too. :)

That's great to know!!  It's my #1 school due to it's location and price.  I'm currently writing out my SOP.  Is there any faculty that really stands out?    Also, if you don't mind, what were your stats for when you got accepted?  I forgot that one wasn't due unto 2/1.  All my other schools are 1/15, and I'm panicking a little.  

4 hours ago, SLPsingballs said:

That's great to know!!  It's my #1 school due to it's location and price.  I'm currently writing out my SOP.  Is there any faculty that really stands out?    Also, if you don't mind, what were your stats for when you got accepted?  I forgot that one wasn't due unto 2/1.  All my other schools are 1/15, and I'm panicking a little.  

The professors at WWU are pretty terrific, overall. Some standouts for me are the Drs. Evans (a married couple; he specializes in fluency disorders, and she in aphasia and related disorders). Dr. Peters, the department chair and also the AR clinic director, is amazing, too. 

Here are my stats:

Overall GPA: 3.67

Program GPA: 3.9 (this was only for one quarter, mind you)

GRE Verbal: 162 / Quantitative: 142 (ugh)

GRE writing score: 4.0

I'm also an older student (32), and did my post-bac at WWU last year. I really didn't have much experience in the field, aside from a small amount of volunteering. I was waitlisted at WWU, at first, but got off of it during the 2nd round of acceptances. 

Overall, I applied to 7 schools, and ended up getting into 3, rejected from 3, and waitlisted for 1. 

Let me know if you have any more questions. I know the application process is stressful and often ridiculous, but you can do it!

@jessie_lee Did you apply to any schools in the NY area? My stats are similar to yours and I'm also an older student (I'll be 32 by the time I graduate if I start a program fall 2017 as planned) so I'm wondering what my chances are. I know most schools say they have a holistic process and all that but just figured I'd ask!

2 hours ago, ElKel87 said:

@jessie_lee Did you apply to any schools in the NY area? My stats are similar to yours and I'm also an older student (I'll be 32 by the time I graduate if I start a program fall 2017 as planned) so I'm wondering what my chances are. I know most schools say they have a holistic process and all that but just figured I'd ask!

I ended up applying to programs that were located close to people who are near and dear to me (yay support system!), so my apps were more west-coast based. I applied to schools in Washington, Montana, Arizona, and Texas. 

If it makes you feel better, all of my (admittedly small) post-bac cohort who applied to grad school ended up getting in somewhere. A few of them had better stats than me, but some had lower,  and most of them were around our age. :) I think being a little older is actually an advantage; we have work and life experience to bring to the table! About a third of my current cohort is 30 or older.

I was told by my post-bac director that I had a "competitive" application, so I think you probably have a good shot at getting in. It's sort of funny how the whole application process works; different programs seem to look for different things. I got in right away to NAU (which was a relief!)...and then it was a mixed bag of waitlists, acceptances, and a few outright rejections. I would get as much info as you can about the programs you're applying to, and see if you can get a sense of what they look for in a candidate. 

I am an old(er) student too (33), but not post-bac.  I messed up for years with school when I was young and didn't know what I wanted to do.  What I wanted at 20 was VERY different than what I want now.  It's good to hear of other old(er) students in the field!!

On 12/29/2016 at 11:28 AM, jessie_lee said:

I ended up applying to programs that were located close to people who are near and dear to me (yay support system!), so my apps were more west-coast based. I applied to schools in Washington, Montana, Arizona, and Texas. 

If it makes you feel better, all of my (admittedly small) post-bac cohort who applied to grad school ended up getting in somewhere. A few of them had better stats than me, but some had lower,  and most of them were around our age. :) I think being a little older is actually an advantage; we have work and life experience to bring to the table! About a third of my current cohort is 30 or older.

I was told by my post-bac director that I had a "competitive" application, so I think you probably have a good shot at getting in. It's sort of funny how the whole application process works; different programs seem to look for different things. I got in right away to NAU (which was a relief!)...and then it was a mixed bag of waitlists, acceptances, and a few outright rejections. I would get as much info as you can about the programs you're applying to, and see if you can get a sense of what they look for in a candidate. 

What other school did you get into? @jessie_lee Im doing my pre-reqs at ENMU and have considered NAU but am a California resident so it would be rather expensive.

50 minutes ago, Daniel998 said:

What other school did you get into? @jessie_lee Im doing my pre-reqs at ENMU and have considered NAU but am a California resident so it would be rather expensive.

Check the Western Regional Graduate Program list to see if NAU is on there. I can't remember off the top of my head but there are a bunch of SLP programs that give discounted tuition to CA residents. It's higher than in-state but lower than full OOS.

1 hour ago, Crimson Wife said:

Check the Western Regional Graduate Program list to see if NAU is on there. I can't remember off the top of my head but there are a bunch of SLP programs that give discounted tuition to CA residents. It's higher than in-state but lower than full OOS.

@Crimson Wife Unfortunately, it isn't on the list. The ones that are under WGRP and that I might have a chance of getting into are Idaho State or USU. Which schools are you applying to if I may ask? I'm mostly applying to schools with reasonable OOS tuition and higher-than-average acceptance rates.

4 hours ago, Daniel998 said:

I got into Texas A&M Kingsville, as well. I originally was going to apply to some California programs (I lived in L.A. for several years), but they seemed really competitive, and often expensive, especially when you factor in out-of-state tuition and cost of living. One of the big reasons I ended up going to WWU was that it's in-state, and tuition seems fairly reasonable, as well.

Edited by jessie_lee

2 hours ago, jessie_lee said:

I got into Texas A&M Kingsville, as well. I originally was going to apply to some California programs (I lived in L.A. for several years), but they seemed really competitive, and often expensive, especially when you factor in out-of-state tuition and cost of living. One of the big reasons I ended up going to WWU was that it's in-state, and tuition seems fairly reasonable, as well.

The only WA schools that offer WRGP in-state tuition are EWU and UW which are very competitive :/ What schools were you rejected and/or waitlisted at? I dont want to apply to schools that I wont even get waitlisted at, just to save money and time.

3 hours ago, Daniel998 said:

The only WA schools that offer WRGP in-state tuition are EWU and UW which are very competitive :/ What schools were you rejected and/or waitlisted at? I dont want to apply to schools that I wont even get waitlisted at, just to save money and time.

I was rejected from the University of Houston, Arizona State, and EWU (after a Skype interview that didn't go that great for me). I was waitlisted at WSU, though, which combines elements of its program with EWU, so I'm not sure how that whole thing would've worked if I'd ended up getting in there. While EWU is competitive, it might be worth a shot, especially if you have some interview skills, ha. It seems less competitive than UW, at least.

The ASU rejection, while possibly due to a variety of factors, was not helped by the fact that one of my profs didn't submit his LOR. It was a different submission than usual (letter writers have to answer questions, rather than submit a document), and I should've kept a better eye on it.

Also, remember that there are a lot of different factors that go into a program's acceptance: you could have some experiences, killer LORs, or personal qualities (for example) that I don't, and that could be an advantage for you.:)

16 hours ago, jessie_lee said:

I was rejected from the University of Houston, Arizona State, and EWU (after a Skype interview that didn't go that great for me). I was waitlisted at WSU, though, which combines elements of its program with EWU, so I'm not sure how that whole thing would've worked if I'd ended up getting in there. While EWU is competitive, it might be worth a shot, especially if you have some interview skills, ha. It seems less competitive than UW, at least.

The ASU rejection, while possibly due to a variety of factors, was not helped by the fact that one of my profs didn't submit his LOR. It was a different submission than usual (letter writers have to answer questions, rather than submit a document), and I should've kept a better eye on it.

Also, remember that there are a lot of different factors that go into a program's acceptance: you could have some experiences, killer LORs, or personal qualities (for example) that I don't, and that could be an advantage for you.:)

EWU does have a higher acceptance rate than UW does, that is for sure. I'm sorry about your rejections, though :/. I think my interview skills are good but I wonder if they'll throw case studies at you to see how knowledgeable you are? or how did the interview with EWU go down?

Your stats seem great. I do not have any related experience, other than substitute teaching some SDC classes. Did you have three letter writers for the schools you applied for? or did you have more writers?

11 hours ago, Daniel998 said:

EWU does have a higher acceptance rate than UW does, that is for sure. I'm sorry about your rejections, though :/. I think my interview skills are good but I wonder if they'll throw case studies at you to see how knowledgeable you are? or how did the interview with EWU go down?

Your stats seem great. I do not have any related experience, other than substitute teaching some SDC classes. Did you have three letter writers for the schools you applied for? or did you have more writers?

I don't know how the EWU interview changes from year to year, but I don't remember them asking me any case study-type questions. I was interviewed via Skype, by two people (I think one was the clinic director). I do remember getting some field-related questions, such as "What do you think will be the biggest challege facing SLPs in the future?" Or something to that effect. I wish that I had done more reasearch on the SLP field, in general; I didn't feel very prepared for that.

Also, I remember being asked at least one personal question along the lines of "Who are you outside of the SLP program?" and maybe one about my strengths and weaknesses, and why I picked EWU as a potential grad school, etc.

My interview skills aren't the strongest, so that's definitely a plus that you feel more confident in that area!

I didn't have much related experience, either, except for some volunteer work, but it was a meaningful experience for me, and I milked it for all its worth in my SOP. :) I did have 3 LOR writers, all of whom were academic. One was from an undergrad professor who knew me well (and I'm pretty sure he gave me a strong recommendation), and the other two were professors from my CSD post-bac program, who had had me in their classes for like 6 weeks.

Rejections aren't fun, but I'm just glad I got into a few programs. I think it worked out for the best, in the end. :)