University of Delaware SLP Program

I go there now. I like the program so far. We have a pretty different clinical model than other universities which is nice because you're always working with a licensed SLP instead of being in the room alone.

49 minutes ago, Auuudriana said:

I go there now. I like the program so far. We have a pretty different clinical model than other universities which is nice because you're always working with a licensed SLP instead of being in the room alone.

Not OP, but does U of Delaware have more of a medical or school focus, or does it seem about equal?

44 minutes ago, babykoala said:

Not OP, but does U of Delaware have more of a medical or school focus, or does it seem about equal?

It seems about equal right now.  We're still a brand new program (first year) so it's hard to tell one way or the other.

21 hours ago, Auuudriana said:

What is your schedule like? Are you on campus all week? All day? 

Sorry I have so many questions! I'm from Delaware and I've been waiting for them to start this program for a while now so I'm full of questions lol.

37 minutes ago, sincerelycree said:

What is your schedule like? Are you on campus all week? All day? 

Sorry I have so many questions! I'm from Delaware and I've been waiting for them to start this program for a while now so I'm full of questions lol.

In the fall semester we had classes Monday through Thursday from like 12:30-3:30, and then you had to be there whenever your client was scheduled (they asked us when we would prefer to have one). This winter session we have class Tuesday 12:30-3:30, and Thursday 12:30-3:30, then 4:30-7:30. In spring semester, we have class Tuesday 12:30-3:30, Wednesday 1:30-3:30, and Thursday 12:30-3:30, 4:30-7:30. 

So it's a pretty nice schedule, especially for commuters because we don't have to be there super early.  Also, we can observe sessions whenever we want so that's nice as well.

22 minutes ago, Auuudriana said:

In the fall semester we had classes Monday through Thursday from like 12:30-3:30, and then you had to be there whenever your client was scheduled (they asked us when we would prefer to have one). This winter session we have class Tuesday 12:30-3:30, and Thursday 12:30-3:30, then 4:30-7:30. In spring semester, we have class Tuesday 12:30-3:30, Wednesday 1:30-3:30, and Thursday 12:30-3:30, 4:30-7:30. 

So it's a pretty nice schedule, especially for commuters because we don't have to be there super early.  Also, we can observe sessions whenever we want so that's nice as well.

Yea that's a pretty good schedule! Thanks for all the info! I'm crossing my fingers on this one. :)

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2017 at 0:48 PM, Auuudriana said:

Do most grad students in your program commute or live on or near campus?

1 hour ago, deblee said:

Do most grad students in your program commute or live on or near campus?

I would say about 7 or 8 of us commute out of a class of 26 and the rest live down the street from campus or within like 5 miles

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2017 at 2:46 PM, Auuudriana said:

I just got accepted last week and visited the clinic yesterday. I'm personally having a tough time deciding between all the Philly area schools (Temple, West Chester, U del). Could you weigh in on your experience at U del? I love the level of the support in the program with the CCC in the room (especially as an out-of-major applicant), but I am worried about the accreditation process. Does it really matter that it is not yet accredited by the CAA and what would that mean for me upon graduation? Also, If you don't mind me asking, were you able to receive aid your second year? They offered me a sizable grant for the first year but it is still  most expensive school I am considering and I'm nervous to sign on and not receive any more money!

12 hours ago, knewkirk said:

I just got accepted last week and visited the clinic yesterday. I'm personally having a tough time deciding between all the Philly area schools (Temple, West Chester, U del). Could you weigh in on your experience at U del? I love the level of the support in the program with the CCC in the room (especially as an out-of-major applicant), but I am worried about the accreditation process. Does it really matter that it is not yet accredited by the CAA and what would that mean for me upon graduation? Also, If you don't mind me asking, were you able to receive aid your second year? They offered me a sizable grant for the first year but it is still  most expensive school I am considering and I'm nervous to sign on and not receive any more money!

For programs that are in the accreditation process, there is no penalty for graduates later if the program does not receive accreditation. Otherwise, no one would ever enroll in these programs. I believe there is just some extra paperwork required by ASHA when applying for your license to prove that you took all of the necessary classes and whatnot. 

"In 1991, the Council on Professional Standards in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology established the status of Candidate for Accreditation for emerging education programs in audiology and in speech-language pathology through the former Educational Standards Board (ESB). This status became necessary because, effective January 1, 1994, an individual’s eligibility for ASHA’s Certificates of Clinical Competence (CCC) was linked to graduation from an accredited program. The status of Candidacy for Accreditation allowed students enrolled in newly established education programs to be eligible to apply for the CCC upon graduation without penalizing the first class of students graduating from those programs. "

http://caa.asha.org/wp-content/uploads/Accreditation-Handbook.pdf

We have not received our aid yet for the second year, but there is a rumor that our director has something for all of us. I'm assuming they're trying to get the next class enrolled before worrying about our aid since tuition for spring and fall isn't even close to being due yet. 

UD is such a great school. The College of Health Sciences has such great programs - as evidenced by the physical therapy program being ranked #1 in the nation. Our director's goal is to make our speech program in the top 3 in the next 5 years.  Plus, there's so much research going on in many departments that you could get involved in. Our professors have a ton of knowledge and many of them are board certified in their specific areas that they teach.  What's also great is that everyone in our program is super close 

Edited by Auuudriana

10 minutes ago, Auuudriana said:

For programs that are in the accreditation process, there is no penalty for graduates later if the program does not receive accreditation. Otherwise, no one would ever enroll in these programs. I believe there is just some extra paperwork required by ASHA when applying for your license to prove that you took all of the necessary classes and whatnot. 

"In 1991, the Council on Professional Standards in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology established the status of Candidate for Accreditation for emerging education programs in audiology and in speech-language pathology through the former Educational Standards Board (ESB). This status became necessary because, effective January 1, 1994, an individual’s eligibility for ASHA’s Certificates of Clinical Competence (CCC) was linked to graduation from an accredited program. The status of Candidacy for Accreditation allowed students enrolled in newly established education programs to be eligible to apply for the CCC upon graduation without penalizing the first class of students graduating from those programs. "

http://caa.asha.org/wp-content/uploads/Accreditation-Handbook.pdf

We have not received our aid yet for the second year, but there is a rumor that our director has something for all of us. I'm assuming they're trying to get the next class enrolled before worrying about our aid since tuition for spring and fall isn't even close to being due yet. 

UD is such a great school. The College of Health Sciences has such great programs - as evidenced by the physical therapy program being ranked #1 in the nation. Our director's goal is to make our speech program in the top 3 in the next 5 years.  Plus, there's so much research going on in many departments that you could get involved in. Our professors have a ton of knowledge and many of them are board certified in their specific areas that they teach.  What's also great is that everyone in our program is super close 

I really, really appreciate your response Auuudriana!  Right now University of Delaware is looking like one of my top choices.  I think I've narrowed it down to Udel and Temple.  With the amount of funding University of Delaware offered me for my first year, the pricing is pretty equal to temple but still very steep.  I'm really quite worried I will not receive any funding the second year and will have a lot of trouble paying it off ...

Are you or your classmates able to work while competing this degree??

I'm glad you included the link about accreditation because I was worried to "roll the dice" so to speak on a new program that is not yet accredited compared with Temple which is accredited and highly ranked.  To be honest, University of Delaware's program, although new, is a better fit for me and my goals than Temple due to the many faculty with specific specializations (Like in AAC)! It also helps that the campus is gorgeous! 

2 minutes ago, knewkirk said:

I really, really appreciate your response Auuudriana!  Right now University of Delaware is looking like one of my top choices.  I think I've narrowed it down to Udel and Temple.  With the amount of funding University of Delaware offered me for my first year, the pricing is pretty equal to temple but still very steep.  I'm really quite worried I will not receive any funding the second year and will have a lot of trouble paying it off ...

Are you or your classmates able to work while competing this degree??

I'm glad you included the link about accreditation because I was worried to "roll the dice" so to speak on a new program that is not yet accredited compared with Temple which is accredited and highly ranked.  To be honest, University of Delaware's program, although new, is a better fit for me and my goals than Temple due to the many faculty with specific specializations (Like in AAC)! It also helps that the campus is gorgeous! 

I'm pretty positive there will be funding both years just because of how much money this program has been given by the state of Delaware.

Many of us work, actually. I work about 30 hours a week at McDonald's, and a couple people work in the morning at daycares. Another girl works at the early learning center on campus. A handful of people are also technically employed by the university and have graduate assistantships or are helping with research. 

This campus definitely is gorgeous! I love driving through it and the STAR Health building is amazing, which I'm sure you saw since you visited the clinic. Also, I believe the professor who is teaching us AAC (Dr. Minio, who is the Director of the Center for Disability Studies) is also on the board for the Praxis, and she presented a session on it at the ASHA convention this past November. 

UDel was my dream school for speech at one point ? My husband and I were considering moving to DE to flee from the outrageous cost of living here in NY. His friends gave us a nice tour of DE which included passing by the UDel campus. Man oh man did I envision myself there. Smh. I thought it was meant to be since they started the new speech program just as we considered moving there and I was considering grad school.

Anywho, I'm glad to hear the program is going well for those of you who are enrolled. My professors at Queens College had nothing but good things to say about UDel and have no doubt that they will become accredited (I hear the director of the program is quite the perfectionist in regards to this). So best of luck to you all! 

22 hours ago, Auuudriana said:

I'm pretty positive there will be funding both years just because of how much money this program has been given by the state of Delaware.

Many of us work, actually. I work about 30 hours a week at McDonald's, and a couple people work in the morning at daycares. Another girl works at the early learning center on campus. A handful of people are also technically employed by the university and have graduate assistantships or are helping with research. 

This campus definitely is gorgeous! I love driving through it and the STAR Health building is amazing, which I'm sure you saw since you visited the clinic. Also, I believe the professor who is teaching us AAC (Dr. Minio, who is the Director of the Center for Disability Studies) is also on the board for the Praxis, and she presented a session on it at the ASHA convention this past November. 

I actually saw her at ASHA! (I was there presenting with some coworkers myself) I know her from her extensive work in the fields of multiple disabilities and AAC, big fan! Ok last question I promice, where can you do your externships for delawares program? And do they let you have any say/help choose? Is one adult and one child or one nursing/hospital and the other school-based? How did the first year of students (if you speak with any!) feel about their preparedness entering the externships in fall and spring and where were they placed?

I'm over the bridge in south jersey and I want to get an idea of externships commuting and just a general feel of what options are out there!

This has been an incredibly helpful post! I just got accepted off the wait list yesterday, and was excited but nervous about the tuition. Especially being an out of state student (Wisconsin), but received my email for funding last night. Can't wait to attend!!

2 hours ago, knewkirk said:

I actually saw her at ASHA! (I was there presenting with some coworkers myself) I know her from her extensive work in the fields of multiple disabilities and AAC, big fan! Ok last question I promice, where can you do your externships for delawares program? And do they let you have any say/help choose? Is one adult and one child or one nursing/hospital and the other school-based? How did the first year of students (if you speak with any!) feel about their preparedness entering the externships in fall and spring and where were they placed?

I'm over the bridge in south jersey and I want to get an idea of externships commuting and just a general feel of what options are out there!

We actually ARE the first year students, and we actually haven't gotten our placements for our externships yet, so I can't comment on feelings of preparedness. We should be finding out where we are going in the next couple of weeks. One is definitely going to be school-based, but the other could be hospital, outpatient, SNF, acute care, etc. We were given a wishlist for what we want the other day. Some of the hospital placements (like acute care) are with Christiana Care and Nemours Dupont AI Hospital. For the schools, pretty much all the school districts in Delaware are a possibility, as well as the Brennen School, which is a part of the Delaware Autism Program.

I commute from near Philadelphia and I'm pretty sure they're trying to keep in mind where people are coming from for placements. 

2 hours ago, bmyles said:

This has been an incredibly helpful post! I just got accepted off the wait list yesterday, and was excited but nervous about the tuition. Especially being an out of state student (Wisconsin), but received my email for funding last night. Can't wait to attend!!

That's awesome! Yes, the tuition is scary but with funding it evens out with other programs! 

4 hours ago, Auuudriana said:

We actually ARE the first year students, and we actually haven't gotten our placements for our externships yet, so I can't comment on feelings of preparedness. We should be finding out where we are going in the next couple of weeks. One is definitely going to be school-based, but the other could be hospital, outpatient, SNF, acute care, etc. We were given a wishlist for what we want the other day. Some of the hospital placements (like acute care) are with Christiana Care and Nemours Dupont AI Hospital. For the schools, pretty much all the school districts in Delaware are a possibility, as well as the Brennen School, which is a part of the Delaware Autism Program.

I commute from near Philadelphia and I'm pretty sure they're trying to keep in mind where people are coming from for placements. 

Oh man my apologies! I thought the program began in 2015!! Thanks so much for all your help! I think I'm going to accept the offer, the program is new but it has so much potential!

6 hours ago, bmyles said:

We should make a Facebook page! Congrats on the decision!

44 minutes ago, knewkirk said:

Oh man my apologies! I thought the program began in 2015!! Thanks so much for all your help! I think I'm going to accept the offer, the program is new but it has so much potential!

No problem! 

23 hours ago, knewkirk said:

We should make a Facebook page! Congrats on the decision!

Thanks! I was looking for a FB page yesterday but didn't see one. One should definitely be started.

On 4/15/2017 at 5:24 PM, bmyles said:

Thanks! I was looking for a FB page yesterday but didn't see one. One should definitely be started.

I can start one if you friend me on fb. Need at least one person to start a new group. I'm listed under Kelsey Erin.