Official Interview Thread 2017

15 hours ago, jmk said:

@pbandj  I wonder if they were re-using situations. My situation was very black and white as well, and agreement was reached within the first five minutes. 

8 hours ago, pbandj said:

Same here. One of the girls afterward told us the situation one of her friends received during her interview, and the solution also seemed obvious. It just makes me wonder how they can determine collaboration skills or communication style when everyone agrees so quickly? 

Hi,

I Also interviewed with San Francisco State and I am in accordance with you. The interview scenario was sort of obvious and to talk about it for 15 minutes seemed liked a long time. I do feel like the group I was with had good examples and we elaborated on that. I also felt like we were repeating many of the solutions. I don't know, I think it went well. I did notice the interviewers writing notes on their notebook every time someone spoke, so they were maybe looking for specific things? Honestly, I think they just wanted to see our interpersonal skills. Everything they wanted to know about us was already stated in our resume's and personal statements. Hopefully, we all hear good news...sooner than later.

8 hours ago, pbandj said:

Same here. One of the girls afterward told us the situation one of her friends received during her interview, and the solution also seemed obvious. It just makes me wonder how they can determine collaboration skills or communication style when everyone agrees so quickly? 

I agree. I was a bit disappointed with this interview format. If a survey comes around post-interview (happened at one school I interviewed at), I will definitely voice that another component to the interview would make it feel more personal for the students. 

3 minutes ago, Maridele said:

Hi,

I Also interviewed with San Francisco State and I am in accordance with you. The interview scenario was sort of obvious and to talk about it for 15 minutes seemed liked a long time. I do feel like the group I was with had good examples and we elaborated on that. I also felt like we were repeating many of the solutions. I don't know, I think it went well. I did notice the interviewers writing notes on their notebook every time someone spoke, so they were maybe looking for specific things? Honestly, I think they just wanted to see our interpersonal skills. Everything they wanted to know about us was already stated in our resume's and personal statements. Hopefully, we all hear good news...sooner than later.

My group had a lot of repeats as well. We reached a conclusion pretty quickly. It seemed like everyone in my group contributed an equal amount, with no one really taking a solid "lead". I heard the decisions will be made (through email and snail mail) 2-3 weeks from now! 

1 hour ago, jmk said:

I agree. I was a bit disappointed with this interview format. If a survey comes around post-interview (happened at one school I interviewed at), I will definitely voice that another component to the interview would make it feel more personal for the students. 

My group had a lot of repeats as well. We reached a conclusion pretty quickly. It seemed like everyone in my group contributed an equal amount, with no one really taking a solid "lead". I heard the decisions will be made (through email and snail mail) 2-3 weeks from now! 

This is how I felt too! We all agreed immediately, and more or less repeated ourselves with a few new points for the rest of the time. We all spoke about the same amount as well. I felt like everyone did a good job, but that nobody really stood out. 

1 hour ago, jmk said:

For some reason, I didn't check to see how the interviews were the last couple of terms. So I was really surprised it was a scenario, in my head I thought they were going to ask regular interview questions. It's so funny cause then I checked on here saw that it was the same as prior years. I like practiced so much hahaha so yeah I totally agree with you. I feel questions like why choose this school? would have been good to answer. This way interviewers get a good idea how interested you are in their program.

2 weeks ehhh..will seem like an eternity..good vibes to everyone though. Oh and you have been accepted other places so that something to hold on to. 

2 minutes ago, Maridele said:

For some reason, I didn't check to see how the interviews were the last couple of terms. So I was really surprised it was a scenario, in my head I thought they were going to ask regular interview questions. It's so funny cause then I checked on here saw that it was the same as prior years. I like practiced so much hahaha so yeah I totally agree with you. I feel questions like why choose this school? would have been good to answer. This way interviewers get a good idea how interested you are in their program.

2 weeks ehhh..will seem like an eternity..good vibes to everyone though. Oh and you have been accepted other places so that something to hold on to. 

Dude, I practiced so many typical interview questions the night before! I wish I had known also, hah.

11 minutes ago, ssllpp said:

Dude, I practiced so many typical interview questions the night before! I wish I had known also, hah.

Right! I drove there from LA too so I was like replaying the questions in my head on my way there lol.. At the end of the interview, I was relieved though. 

51 minutes ago, Maridele said:

Right! I drove there from LA too so I was like replaying the questions in my head on my way there lol.. At the end of the interview, I was relieved though. 

Did you interview this past Monday at 4pm!? There was a girl that drove from LA in my group, haha. 

23 minutes ago, Maridele said:

Yes!! Haha 

We were totally in the same interview, haha! I'm terrible at names/faces myself, but I was the girl in the blue dress from SF (who screwed up our introductions thinking they were supposed to be super short lmao) 

2 hours ago, jmk said:

We were totally in the same interview, haha! I'm terrible at names/faces myself, but I was the girl in the blue dress from SF (who screwed up our introductions thinking they were supposed to be super short lmao) 

I remember! I actually remember your name too.

What are your thoughts about the whole interview? I thought it was weird and really have no idea what they will base of on.

4 hours ago, Maridele said:

What are your thoughts about the whole interview? I thought it was weird and really have no idea what they will base of on.

That's really funny that you guys ended up in the same interview! ? I was wondering if that would happen with me during my interview but the people I spoke to didn't even hear of this site lol 

6 hours ago, Maridele said:

I assume? they're basing it on collaboration/ eloquence in speaking / contribution / confidence. From what I've heard among classmates who also interviewed is that pretty much everyone's group reached a conclusion quickly, and felt that everyone participated equally haha. I think attending the interview in person definitely gets extra points versus someone who did Skype, though. 

20 hours ago, SpeechLaedy said:

That's really funny that you guys ended up in the same interview! ? I was wondering if that would happen with me during my interview but the people I spoke to didn't even hear of this site lol 

Did you also go to sfsu interview? 

5 hours ago, jmk said:

I assume? they're basing it on collaboration/ eloquence in speaking / contribution / confidence. From what I've heard among classmates who also interviewed is that pretty much everyone's group reached a conclusion quickly, and felt that everyone participated equally haha. I think attending the interview in person definitely gets extra points versus someone who did Skype, though. 

Yea.. that day is sorta of a blur now..but they did say we we're a really great group?  Like they emphasized the statement.. MEHh maybe I'm looking into it too much but I really think we all did great. I also heard that they prioritize sfsu students. How accurate is this? 

5 hours ago, Maridele said:

Did you also go to sfsu interview? 

Yea.. that day is sorta of a blur now..but they did say we we're a really great group?  Like they emphasized the statement.. MEHh maybe I'm looking into it too much but I really think we all did great. I also heard that they prioritize sfsu students. How accurate is this? 

Sooo rumor has it they admit 30 students total. 15 SFSU current students & alumni, and 15 from other schools. Apparently this practice is common with most CSU campuses. 

@jmkAlright that's fair! 

I did my postbac at Cal state La and it's not the case there. Out of like 20 students that they accept I would say about 90% are cal state LA students a mixture of undergrads and postbacs. Sorta crazy ..

Edited by Maridele

3 minutes ago, Maridele said:

@jmkAlright that's fair! 

I did my postbac at Cal state La and it's not the case there. Out of like 20 students that they accept I would say about 90% are cal state LA students a mixture of undergrads and postbacs. Sorta crazy ..

Thats the vibe I got too. When I interviewed there, everyone that was waiting seemed to know each other were chatting amongst themselves. They also chatted with the faculty. Kind of felt out of place.. haha.

On 3/11/2017 at 4:26 PM, Maridele said:

A girl in my group who graduated from SFSU last year said that out of 30 students accepted, 15 tend to have completed their undergrad in SFSU. I know in other schools they take waaaay more of their bwn students so that number actually relieved me lol! But I'm not sure how accurate that is. She also said that in her graduating class, apparently almost no SFSU students applied right away to the program, so they ended up accepting a lot more students from other schools. I suppose it depends on how many students from SFSU apply, but it seems they really want to hit at least 50%!

39 minutes ago, imunster said:

Thats the vibe I got too. When I interviewed there, everyone that was waiting seemed to know each other were chatting amongst themselves. They also chatted with the faculty. Kind of felt out of place.. haha.

Yes that cal state LA....have you heard back? 

39 minutes ago, pbandj said:

A girl in my group who graduated from SFSU last year said that out of 30 students accepted, 15 tend to have completed their undergrad in SFSU. I know in other schools they take waaaay more of their bwn students so that number actually relieved me lol! But I'm not sure how accurate that is. She also said that in her graduating class, apparently almost no SFSU students applied right away to the program, so they ended up accepting a lot more students from other schools. I suppose it depends on how many students from SFSU apply, but it seems they really want to hit at least 50%!

Chances are good ..

On 3/10/2017 at 0:49 PM, jmk said:

I was in your interview group too! I hope we hear news soon. 

• 3 weeks later...

Soooo I had an interview and basically BLANKED on so many questions that I KNEW the answers to!! I graduated about a year - 2 yrs ago but still remembered a lot of info that just REFUSED to present itself during the interview. Of course - after the interview, the answers came flowing like a river smh. Thankfully the interviewers seemed to understand my struggle. But it was definitely nerve-wracking! Other than those questions, I felt I did okay. I was asked What do you need to look out for in a language sample, what were some aspects of form and content, what were some examples of speech disorders and also language disorders, what course was my favorite (based on the material)...there were more but I just can't remember. I will be brushing up on all of my notes from here on out if I am fortunate to get more interviews! :-P

38 minutes ago, SpeechLaedy said:

Soooo I had an interview and basically BLANKED on so many questions that I KNEW the answers to!! I graduated about a year - 2 yrs ago but still remembered a lot of info that just REFUSED to present itself during the interview. Of course - after the interview, the answers came flowing like a river smh. Thankfully the interviewers seemed to understand my struggle. But it was definitely nerve-wracking! Other than those questions, I felt I did okay. I was asked What do you need to look out for in a language sample, what were some aspects of form and content, what were some examples of speech disorders and also language disorders, what course was my favorite (based on the material)...there were more but I just can't remember. I will be brushing up on all of my notes from here on out if I am fortunate to get more interviews! :-P

Hooray for completing your interview! I am sure you did great! At one of my interviews, I definitely felt like I was stumbling at first before I got a little more comfortable, and I still got accepted :) Was your interview one-on-one? I only had two group interviews, and neither asked us knowledge-based questions, one asked opinion-based questions and another was a situational question that we had to discuss. It is so crazy how different all the interview processes can be... Good luck hearing back from them!