Pacific University 2/24 Interview

Akon

Hi,

I am headed to Oregon from Illinois on February 24th for an interview. 

I'm super excited but I've never been to Oregon and this will be my first solo trip I've ever taken in my life. :o:D 

I just wanted to make a post to see if anybody else on here had an interview that day that I could get in contact with.

3 hours ago, Akon said:

Hi,

I'm super excited but I've never been to Oregon and this will be my first solo trip I've ever taken in my life. :o:D 

I just wanted to make a post to see if anybody else on here had an interview that day that I could get in contact with.

Hey! I haven't applied there but my best friend applied and got an interview from there last year. She said the interview was just personal questions and basic even (What does your weekend normally consist of?). be yourself! They really just want to get to know you

11 minutes ago, kayyyyy_ said:

Hey! I haven't applied there but my best friend applied and got an interview from there last year. She said the interview was just personal questions and basic even (What does your weekend normally consist of?). be yourself! They really just want to get to know you

Thanks for the info, that makes me feel better! :)

I'm going!! I didn't even realize there was a Skype option. I'm only in CA but am a 10 hour drive, or $150 plane ride away haha. I'm a bit nervous. It's the first grad school interview I'll have done, and Oregon is basically tied with my home state in terms of being my "first choice." 

I would love to get in touch! 

4 hours ago, StPaulCCC said:

I am not attending the interview that particular weekend, but I want to give you credit for traveling all the way from Illinois!

Are you flying or driving? Did you apply to mostly Western schools, if not what was the draw to Pacific?

Good luck with everything! 

Thank you so much! 

I am flying! I applied to schools all over - Arizona, Utah, Montana, Boston, Texas and Illinois. I'm very open to a change of scenery. I lived in Texas for 15 years before, but now I have been living in Illinois for 8 so I'm ready for a change of scenery. :) 

I applied to Pacific specifically because I feel like they have a very diverse student body compared to the program I'm in currently and a lot of the programs I looked at in Illinois. 

I also thought it would be a good fit for me because they look at applicants holistically rather than just their GPA/GRE Scores. 

Also, the program seems really close knit. There seems to be a lot of close interaction between the students and the faculty as well as abundant research opportunities. 

3 hours ago, maurmaur said:

I'm actually skyping from Indiana on the 18th! Props for going but I can't really afford it 

Good luck to you! 

My Dad offered to buy my ticket so I'm just paying for my hotel and I'm using my tax return lol.

9 minutes ago, jmk said:

I'm going!! I didn't even realize there was a Skype option. I'm only in CA but am a 10 hour drive, or $150 plane ride away haha. I'm a bit nervous. It's the first grad school interview I'll have done, and Oregon is basically tied with my home state in terms of being my "first choice." 

I would love to get in touch! 

Oh my gosh yay! I'll message you. Are you going to fly or drive? 

It's my second interview so I'm feeling a little bit better. I wanted to actually go instead of the Skype interview because I wanted to get a feel for the university, the town, and meet the faculty and current students!

2 hours ago, kayyyyy_ said:

Woo! That makes me feel way more relaxed. Thanks! :) 

5 minutes ago, Akon said:

Oh my gosh yay! I'll message you. Are you going to fly or drive? 

It's my second interview so I'm feeling a little bit better. I wanted to actually go instead of the Skype interview because I wanted to get a feel for the university, the town, and meet the faculty and current students!

I'm probably going to fly! I have friends/family in Portland so wouldn't pay hotel. 

I can come across as really sugary/passive, so that's something I'm trying to work on. You're going to love the town!! I have a friend at Pacific in the OT program, and she has given nothing but glowing reviews about the school. Plus you get a tiny break from the Illinois chill, haha. 

17 minutes ago, SLPsingballs said:

I will be there on 2/24!!!  Well, I'm still trying to figure out if I should reply and ask for a Skype interview or make the trek out.  I'm SO grateful to be considered though.  I want to make the trip...

ACK!!!

How far are you? I wish I could make the trip but am almost all the way on the other side of the country so it's just not financially viable

39 minutes ago, maurmaur said:

How far are you? I wish I could make the trip but am almost all the way on the other side of the country so it's just not financially viable

I am in Los Angeles.  It's really far, and I have an exam the morning before, but I don't do so well on Skype and am quite good at in-person interviews (at least from previous job interviews).

8 hours ago, SLPsingballs said:

I will be there on 2/24!!!  Well, I'm still trying to figure out if I should reply and ask for a Skype interview or make the trek out.  I'm SO grateful to be considered though.  I want to make the trip...

ACK!!!

I thought about doing Skype, but I really wanted to see the campus/program before I could commit if I even get in lol 

Best of luck to you all!  Sounds like a whole slew of out-of-towners :)  I am still awaiting notification.  Guess no news is good news at this point?  Maybe I am just further down the line on the admissions list and they are waiting to give work pending the outcome of these first round interviews?  Hmmm... Who knows!  You will all do GREAT!  Pacific and Forest Grove are amazing!  Beautiful area and fantastic department!  Enjoy!

Hi Everyone!

I also got an interview for 2/24!

I'm from California so I would be flying in. Trying to do this as financially responsible as possible, so I did ask about Skype options just in case. Would love to connect to a few of you going! I know this isn't a typical request, but if anyone is interested in splitting a hotel or wants to adventure around Forest Green and Portland a bit, I may stay an extra day to explore. Thinking of flying in Thursday evening and maybe leave Saturday night. Happy to share more personal info via PM.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2017 at 0:38 PM, maurmaur said:

Can any of you post here just your thoughts about the campus and stuff since I am unable to attend? And this may sound weird but do we have access to microwaves?

The campus is small and green!  Nice facilities -- full Starbucks on campus, a nice looking library, gym, etc.  We were told almost all of our time would be spent in one particular hall (Berglund), which seems nice.  Forest Grove is pretty far from anything cool (about 45 minutes from Portland, without traffic).  However, I was also told that the most days of the week you'll ever have to make to trip if you're commuting is 3 (1st semester is Monday-Wednesday classes), so that's not too bad.

I didn't notice about the microwave, but I would assume so??

On 2/10/2017 at 1:03 PM, Akon said:

Hi,

Welp I got Waitlisted - Tier One - but not sure how much weight that holds :)

As of now my plan is to take the only acceptance I've received so far from Midwestern Glendale and put down the deposit and if I get accepted to Pacific off the waitlist I will forfeit my deposit and take a seat there, as it is my top choice school.

What a wild ride it has been! 

9 hours ago, Akon said:

As of now my plan is to take the only acceptance I've received so far from Midwestern Glendale and put down the deposit and if I get accepted to Pacific off the waitlist I will forfeit my deposit and take a seat there, as it is my top choice school.

Sounds like you've still got a decent chance! :) how did you find out?

10 hours ago, Akon said:

Congrats about Tier 1 waitlist! :) Best of luck! 

11 hours ago, Akon said:

Congrats on the waitlist!  I am also curious as to how you were notified.  I am assuming from this that I didn't get in, hah.  There were so many qualified applicants!!

11 minutes ago, SLPsingballs said:

Congrats on the waitlist!  I am also curious as to how you were notified.  I am assuming from this that I didn't get in, hah.  There were so many qualified applicants!!

I emailed Diana and they said they are letting people know all this week