Playwriting MFAs

dampka

16 minutes ago, Ezra Brain said:

Thanks friend! You are always such a steady rock of calm and information amid all of our massive anxiety 

Aw, thanks. I'm trying to keep it together and distracted and I have my moments. But on the bright side, my apartment has literally never been cleaner. 

57 minutes ago, jck349 said:

I hope so! Fully expecting a rejection, but it'll be nice to have an official rejection instead of hanging out in the "well, I didn't get an interview so probably rejected?" limbo.

I’m expecting a rejection from every school I applied to now being rejected from two of the nine I’ve applied to thus far. And at this point I feel like giving up hope and on my dreams. 

1 hour ago, shortymcshortz said:

I’m expecting a rejection from every school I applied to now being rejected from two of the nine I’ve applied to thus far. And at this point I feel like giving up hope and on my dreams. 

Hi I just saw this and it really spoke to me. I've had moments during this very long process when I feel like shutting down and giving up as well. Needless to say, as artists, we feel deeply and this can be emotionally draining. But I want to encourage you. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Many of us have not received definitive answers yet. When we do, we can sit with those feelings, but your dreams and your talent are valid. This process does not define you or your worth, regardless of what the outcome is. I've had to have these conversations with myself.  We get what's meant for us, and as creatives, we will find a way to make it work. I believe in you and support you. Don't stop writing. Please. Sending you positivity.

23 hours ago, PlayWitch said:

Hey, babes! Are you all posting your results to the results page, too? It's unusually quiet over there. I haven't heard anything yet, but usually there are a few people who have heard something by now.

I made sure to do so. Everyone post what you can! It only helps the next and current flock

Just had my interview with CMU. It was super short, like ten minutes long.They basically just asked me why I wanted to go to CMU and if I had any screenwriting experience and then let me ask them a couple of questions and that was it. They didn't even  ask me the question that they had prepped me for in the email which was about how I defined success. Has anyone else had their interviews yet? Was your experience similar? I'm not sure if I should be worried that they didn't spend that much time one me because they knew I wasn't a good fit or if they were confident that I would work well in the program and didn't feel they needed  any more info. They did offer to hook me up with someone who was an alumni who worked in my city so I feel like that is maybe a good sign???

3 hours ago, SuddenBeth said:

Just had my interview with CMU. It was super short, like ten minutes long.They basically just asked me why I wanted to go to CMU and if I had any screenwriting experience and then let me ask them a couple of questions and that was it. They didn't even  ask me the question that they had prepped me for in the email which was about how I defined success. Has anyone else had their interviews yet? Was your experience similar? I'm not sure if I should be worried that they didn't spend that much time one me because they knew I wasn't a good fit or if they were confident that I would work well in the program and didn't feel they needed  any more info. They did offer to hook me up with someone who was an alumni who worked in my city so I feel like that is maybe a good sign???

Howdy! Had my CMU interview also. I'll direct message you.

4 hours ago, SuddenBeth said:

My experience was exactly the same as yours! I had to literally bring up the question they asked me to prepare, but I think the fact that it was so casual is a good thing? Fingers crossed!

20 hours ago, SuddenBeth said:

I've had a friend who applied last year who had a similar experience. 

Long time lurker -- hello! 

Figured I'd just add to the bucket that I received a rejection from CM a few weeks prior. I worry sometimes that rejections are underreported, so I figured I'd chime in. Hopefully someone reading this who got a rejection will feel they aren't alone! 

To all those who got an interview, congrats! 

Edited by eurialo

1 hour ago, eurialo said:

Long time lurker -- hello! 

Figured I'd just add to the bucket that I received a rejection from CM a few weeks prior. I worry sometimes that rejections are underreported, so I figured I'd chime in. Hopefully someone reading this who got a rejection will feel they aren't alone! 

To all those who got an interview, congrats! 

Welcome! Hope there's good news in your future!

Speaking of news, has anyone heard ANYTHING about Yale??

18 minutes ago, jck349 said:

Welcome! Hope there's good news in your future!

Speaking of news, has anyone heard ANYTHING about Yale??

Thank you kindly! I hope you get good news as well!

Nothing! Does anyone know about how many they take? Or an acceptance rate? I keep looking but I've come up with zilch

2 hours ago, zayzay said:

Just curious: 
Has anybody here at all other than the two people who posted heard anything from UC San Diego or UT Austin? I'm just curious because I would expect to see some more on this forum about it. 

Thanks!

Nothing from UT Austin Michener or T&D :( 

CMU peeps: Just had my interview with Rob (Melissa was sick). He also didn't ask me the prompt question but I felt like it went super well otherwise so I think we can all relax haha.

23 hours ago, jck349 said:

Someone earlier in the thread said they get somewhere in the 200s of applications, can't find the exact post at the moment. I believe they accept 3.

Went to the Yale School of Drama open house last year and can confirm that this information is accurate!

4 hours ago, zayzay said:

Just curious: 
Has anybody here at all other than the two people who posted heard anything from UC San Diego or UT Austin? I'm just curious because I would expect to see some more on this forum about it. 

Thanks!

I had my phone interview last week with UCSD. No word back yet on making it to the 2nd round of interviews. It would be a SKYPE call w/ the entire Playwriting cohort.