Playwriting MFAs

dampka

1 hour ago, Sylvia Zhou said:

Yeah that's true. The system of gradCAS was super confusing...The directing program guys have already got the interview request yesterday, I feel I'm losing it TAT

Ohhhh yes, I'm right there with you! I just keep reminding myself that the Playwriting admissions team has to read through hundreds of full-length plays and the directing admissions team has a lot less pages to get through... (And for CMU, the deadline got pushed to January 8th, so I assume that'll push the notifications back a little bit)

On 1/7/2020 at 12:16 PM, Writenorth said:

Hey everybody,  

I just wanted to say--I'm in the Hunter MFA and it's been great so far.  Great teachers and workshops (Karen Hartman, Lisa D'Amour, Clare Barron, Lauren Yee) and the new director of the program is really supportive. There's still a week left to apply.   Best of luck to everyone and keep writing!

Hi, I just applied the last day of the extension! I'm glad to hear you've had such a positive experience!  Have there been any sturggles/ adjustments with the recent change in Heads?

On 1/7/2020 at 2:37 PM, rd1222 said:

Hey! I'm a current Hunter MFA Playwright and I second that I am loving my experience in the program! Christine is an incredible mentor and teacher and is doing so much for the program. It's affordable and the program basically pays for itself with what it offers beyond the classes themselves (seeing shows for $15, individual workshops with playwrights, free rehearsal space, free gym membership even!). Though it's technically a "transitional time" it doesn't feel that way at all and the program is running smoothly. The only "difference" is there just is more of a dialogue between program and student on what's working, what could be improved, etc. which is awesome! I feel really cared for and heard. I would highly recommend applying!!

Just what I wanted to hear, thank you!

11 hours ago, Agez said:

Hi @captbaka ! I just applied and UCSD is a top choice of mine. I'd love to know how you picked your sample and when did year hear back about getting that first interview and flying out?

Hi @Agez -- Good luck!! This forum was so helpful to me last year -- happy to give more info. Just checked my e-mail from last year -- I first heard good news from UCSD 2nd week of February. Other schools with good news all notified me by the end of February, so the big month is coming up! Exciting...

As far as writing samples, my personal tactic was to use the piece that was more known (relatively...) as my secondary sample, and instead to find something that was solid (had been workshopped) but hadn't had any kind of success yet as my primary sample. But just make sure your piece is strong and has a POV that you feel passionate about. And like any submission, I'd say make sure the first 10 pages are strong.

Honestly, I had not great grades in undergrad, so if that's a fear for anyone, just know that people are more interested in your writing samples and essays and recs than your transcripts. That was a fear of mine, at least. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE ?

Thank you so much, @captbaka! The advice and comradery is so helpful. I had stuck to the MFA Draft FB group, but its good to know this is where all the playwrights are lol And I felt the same about my grades as well (almost didn't apply at all because of them) so that is very encouraging to hear. Hope you're having a wonderful time! I met Naomi briefly for the first time and she's so sweet! UCSD just seems to have really nice people ^_^

On 12/12/2018 at 8:05 PM, LordQuas said:

How many applications do you think Yale gets a year?

If this is still relevant to anyone, I was told they get 175-200 applicants a year

5 hours ago, jck349 said:

That few?? Dang. And here I was thinking it was twice that.

When I visited CMU in August, the graduate admissions director told me they get 10. Which seems crazy to me

58 minutes ago, sns1106 said:

When I visited CMU in August, the graduate admissions director told me they get 10. Which seems crazy to me

Whaaaaat that is definitely crazy. Maybe that's because nobody can figure out the gradCAS website (I kid, I kid).

On 1/24/2020 at 5:26 PM, sns1106 said:

On 1/24/2020 at 6:26 PM, jck349 said:

Whaaaaat that is definitely crazy. Maybe that's because nobody can figure out the gradCAS website (I kid, I kid).

Yeah that's insane! How many do they take???? Also that means that we've got like a third of the applicants on thread right now lol.

Edited by SuddenBeth

1 hour ago, anyajessie said:

hi! Did anyone else on here apply to Brooklyn College? Just wondering if anyone has a sense of timing for them, I'm just curious!

@anyajessie I also applied, and have applied in the past. Last year I was waitlisted and was notified mid-march - think they let everyone know (acceptances, wait-lists, rejections) around the same time, and they don't typically conduct interviews. Hope that's helpful!

45 minutes ago, kevinmalone said:

@anyajessie I also applied, and have applied in the past. Last year I was waitlisted and was notified mid-march - think they let everyone know (acceptances, wait-lists, rejections) around the same time, and they don't typically conduct interviews. Hope that's helpful!

Thank you, that's really helpful context to have!

@anyajessie

I'm in the same position as @kevinmalone and second everything said. Please see my BC-related rant on the previous page, though, because it's important and they're repeat offenders about application material loss. It's a good program, though. 

Where else are you guys applying? :)

On 1/25/2020 at 6:49 PM, SuddenBeth said:

Yeah that's insane! How many do they take???? Also that means that we've got like a third of the applicants on thread right now lol.

I feel like I read somewhere that they accept 6, but now I can't remember where I feel like I read that. Mysteries abound!

2 hours ago, space94 said:

@anyajessie

I'm in the same position as @kevinmalone and second everything said. Please see my BC-related rant on the previous page, though, because it's important and they're repeat offenders about application material loss. It's a good program, though. 

Where else are you guys applying? :)

Yes seconding your earlier post - I had to stay on them quite a bit last year and have checked in this year as well. 

Applying to Brooklyn, Hunter, Juilliard, Iowa, and Austin. ?

2 hours ago, kevinmalone said:

Yes seconding your earlier post - I had to stay on them quite a bit last year and have checked in this year as well. 

Good programs--waitlisted by Brooklyn is good omens going into this year, so I'll bet it's your year. 

Joining here because I feel like there's so little info out there? And the forum seems super friendly and useful!

Applying for the first time to: NYU, Yale, UT Austin, CMU, Columbia, UCSD, Brown, Northwestern, Brooklyn College, Hunter College, U of Iowa, BU. Best of luck to all!

On 1/10/2020 at 12:44 AM, newengland1 said:

Hi there--I really should stop reading this digest since I'm now almost two years out of my MFA program, but I thought ... perhaps I could be of service, having completed my MFA recently. I graduated from the NYU DDW program in 2018. I loved it but there are pros and cons. Happy to answer any questions about NYU, applications/admissions, or anything else that may be useful, at any point!

@newengland1- Super curious how it was for you! I'd love to hear about your experience in general, and would also love to know:

• Approximately how much of a scholarship do admitted students receive? Did the scholarship amount depend on your financial means (last year they told me I would be automatically considered for a scholarship if I got admitted, and this year apparently everyone has to fill out the FASFA)? I understand that every student receives some sort of a scholarship, but the tuition is quite high to start with, so I wonder how doable it could be for me. 
  • What was the best part?
  • What were the cons?
  • Did you feel like your time there was worth it and truly helped advance your career?

Thank you so much in advance!

1 hour ago, nerv said:

Joining here because I feel like there's so little info out there? And the forum seems super friendly and useful!

Applying for the first time to: NYU, Yale, UT Austin, CMU, Columbia, UCSD, Brown, Northwestern, Brooklyn College, Hunter College, U of Iowa, BU. Best of luck to all!

Welcome! Definitely more info here than anywhere else I've seen. Kinda given up on the MFA Draft facebook group cuz there's so few playwrights there... That's a lot you're applying to! I was considering applying to BU, but I remember there was some weird foreign language requirement? Or did I misread that entirely...

21 hours ago, kevinmalone said:

Thanks for the tips about Brooklyn: that's good to know.

I also applied to Juilliard -- I wonder what the timeline is on hearing from them??

On 1/21/2020 at 4:57 PM, jck349 said:

Ohhhh yes, I'm right there with you! I just keep reminding myself that the Playwriting admissions team has to read through hundreds of full-length plays and the directing admissions team has a lot less pages to get through... (And for CMU, the deadline got pushed to January 8th, so I assume that'll push the notifications back a little bit)

I hope so, thank you for consoling me?And I just asked Mica (the enrollment director), here's her response: "We will be in communication by February 1 with the status of your application.  Thank you for your patience as we review applications." Feel like she is swamped recently.