Playwriting MFAs

dampka

24 minutes ago, sandringham said:

Just wanted to let everyone know that here at Hunter, Christine is still deep in application reading, so interview requests haven’t gone out yet!

Hope that helps ease some of the anxiety. Sending out good vibes to all!!

Thank you @sandringham!! So kind of you to send this update! 

Just got my first decision of the season...: also in at Carnegie Mellon for Dramatic Writing with a financial fellowship (which I still have to look over)! :) Excited and relieved to have a yes! Still going to wait on a few more results but nice to know that grad school is happening! Fingers crossed for more good news soon for everybody here.

Thanks for the update on Iowa @tomlette ! hbd!

33 minutes ago, MischiefNotManaged said:

I was having the most horrible day and then found out I got waitlisted at Carnegie Mellon. The sigh of relief I breathed... whew. Unreal. Hoping I'll get in and see @tomlette and @Mel Rose in class soon? Hehe ?

yasssss congrats!! it would be sick if we were all cohort buddies. 

march 25 feels like SO SOON for a decision, and if i'm going to visit pittsburgh i need to do it like, yesterday because there is a big conference in my city this month that makes traveling pretty hellish. hopefully some more decisions roll out in the next week or so... CMU thus far seems like the most natural mesh with my interests, and R&M seemed genuinely invested, but it's hard to tell when it's ur only offer ahhhh!!!! 

Edited by tomlette

2 hours ago, seasickmermaid said:

Congrats CMU bound people! 

I'm wondering if anyone has heard from Columbia? Last year I got an interview request from them on March 1st so I was expecting them to be on a similar timeline this year.

I'm also waiting on Columbia, Brown, Hunter, Brooklyn and Boston so fingers crossed we hear back soon. I'm wondering if Columbia is also a little bit behind? 

Hi everyone! Have been stalking this post since forever and finally decided to make an account! So on Feb 28 I received an email from Iowa's Lisa saying that I'm a finalist and asking me for a phone interview. Did my interview on Mar 1 evening and now I'm waiting for the result.:) During the interview Lisa gave an intro to the Iowa Playwrights Workshop program and I asked questions accordingly. Then there came the "Why Iowa" question. We also talked about my past theatrical experiences, and what plays I plan to write in the future. Also talked about my general experiences and the full-length script I submitted. It was a pleasant talk and I really think Iowa is a perfect fit for my interests and I hope they think so too. Wish everyone best of luck!!! 

hey y’all! I’ve been lurking on this page this whole application cycle, as I’m sure many others might be doing lmao. I received a rejection from USC’s program this morning, but the director of the program sent me a personal note saying how much he enjoyed my writing. He also encouraged me to apply again in the future. 
Maybe I should feel bad about that, but I feel intense gratitude to him for taking that time.

so I just wanted to jump on here and commend all of you for doing the hard thing putting yourselves out there. However it turns out, someone will see you and your work. That’s everything. Best of luck with the future and hope we all get to collaborate down the line as professional writers x

1 hour ago, Strelka said:

Also got a Columbia interview! Stoked!!

For NYU peeps who interviewed—do you remember what was said about when decisions might come out? I totally spaced on writing that info down!

I also spaced on that, but in previous years it has been consistently the week before spring break, which for NYU I believe is next week, so I'm kinda hoping we hear back this week !

1 hour ago, Starpants said:

Maybe this isn't the right time to ask this since we're in the interview / rejection part of the season, but I'm curious why y'all applied to the programs you did? What are y'all interested in at NYU or Brown or Carnegie Mellon, etc.? 

haha i believe it's a perfect time since we're all in the lurch and contemplating our choices... 

3/6 of the schools i applied to were NYC based, for all the normal reasons. seeing theatre feels key to a theatre education, have friends/family there, easiest to get to, etc. new school, hunter, columbia all have excellent programs and are flexible in different ways. iowa and UT were moonshots that predictably missed. 

tbh, the only school that's passing the vibe check (on either end) so far is CMU! they seem intimate and focused with a lot of room for experimentation. rob & melissa seem very kind and smart. technically it's a dual screenwriting playwriting program, but apparently students in the past have done all kinds of things, including collaborating with the game design department, something totally up my alley. the Sloan grant is a really cool opportunity! and...the cost of living in pittsburgh is wayyy more reasonable. it seems like a good place to hunker down and be a grad student for 2 years. but who knows. 

On 3/7/2022 at 1:24 PM, Strelka said:

Also got a Columbia interview! Stoked!!

For NYU peeps who interviewed—do you remember what was said about when decisions might come out? I totally spaced on writing that info down!

They told me they would let me know around the end of March!

On 3/7/2022 at 3:17 PM, Mel Rose said:

I also spaced on that, but in previous years it has been consistently the week before spring break, which for NYU I believe is next week, so I'm kinda hoping we hear back this week !