CSUF MSW Fall 2017

les1ie

On 3/16/2017 at 5:50 PM, C22 said:

That's awesome!!! Hopefully you hear back soon..I know the waiting part is terrible but I'm sure if you got called for an interview you basically have it in your pocket :) 

Would you mind sharing your stats?

I had a 3.43 GPA but I think what did it was having a ton of experience. I also had connected with a teacher in the MSW program last year who invited me to be a part of a panel called "Social Work with Latino/a Families" where I met the head of the department. It was interesting being a professional on a panel for Social Work students before being in the program. I was able to use this experience in my personal statement so that might have helped. I've been working with children and families since 2009 and my focus is very specific to prevention efforts through culturally competent parent education for immigrant families.

I GOT IN! I got an e-mail on Friday!!!!

"Dear Leslie

It is my great pleasure to inform you that your application to the Master of Social Work program at California State University, Fullerton has been accepted."

...and now I have to fill out a form to formally accept admission. YAY! 

48 minutes ago, les1ie said:

I GOT IN! I got an e-mail on Friday!!!!

"Dear Leslie

It is my great pleasure to inform you that your application to the Master of Social Work program at California State University, Fullerton has been accepted."

...and now I have to fill out a form to formally accept admission. YAY! 

Congratulations! Now I just hope to at least get an interview for myself (for the 2 year program) :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2017 at 11:18 AM, les1ie said:

I had a 3.43 GPA but I think what did it was having a ton of experience. I also had connected with a teacher in the MSW program last year who invited me to be a part of a panel called "Social Work with Latino/a Families" where I met the head of the department. It was interesting being a professional on a panel for Social Work students before being in the program. I was able to use this experience in my personal statement so that might have helped. I've been working with children and families since 2009 and my focus is very specific to prevention efforts through culturally competent parent education for immigrant families.

I got an email last week.. I have my interview next week. Congratulations on getting accepted!! ?

22 hours ago, C22 said:

I got an email last week.. I have my interview next week. Congratulations on getting accepted!! ?

for the full-time program or part time program?

2 hours ago, Grad2017 said:

Are you pretty much in if you get an interview?

I hope so.. I really just need to get myself into an interview and I know I can solidify my spot

Has anyone received acceptance or denial? What kind of questions are asked in the interview and how many people are on the panel when interviewed? I wonder if a person gets an interview if they are in. 

10 hours ago, Neeks said:

I hope so.. I really just need to get myself into an interview and I know I can solidify my spot

Did you get an interview? I think emails were recently sent out.

Edited by Grad2017

11 hours ago, suremeansyes said:

I just got an interview scheduled for the 11th. This is going to be a long week!

full time or part time program? good luck!

This site helped me out a bunch these past two years so I figured I'd write about my experience so I can help someone out! I had my interview for the full time program at CSUF on March 21st and heard on March 30th that I was accepted :) This time I submitted my application in November, mostly because I had already completed the application the year before. I also applied for Fall 2016 while in my senior year in college (last spring) and submitted my application on the deadline day. I heard absolutely nothing from Fullerton until I got a letter in the mail in June saying I had not been accepted. When I reapplied this year I did add that I have had more work experience since graduating, so that may have helped my application. I had a 3.6 GPA from Scripps College.

4 hours ago, MRSmsw said:

This site helped me out a bunch these past two years so I figured I'd write about my experience so I can help someone out! I had my interview for the full time program at CSUF on March 21st and heard on March 30th that I was accepted :) This time I submitted my application in November, mostly because I had already completed the application the year before. I also applied for Fall 2016 while in my senior year in college (last spring) and submitted my application on the deadline day. I heard absolutely nothing from Fullerton until I got a letter in the mail in June saying I had not been accepted. When I reapplied this year I did add that I have had more work experience since graduating, so that may have helped my application. I had a 3.6 GPA from Scripps College.

Congratulations! What type of work experience have you been having recently, if you dont mind me asking? I am asking because I have a bad feeling I will not be receiving an interview, and I am starting to look at jobs to gain experience in the field, so I can have a better chance at Fall 2018

5 hours ago, MRSmsw said:

This site helped me out a bunch these past two years so I figured I'd write about my experience so I can help someone out! I had my interview for the full time program at CSUF on March 21st and heard on March 30th that I was accepted :) This time I submitted my application in November, mostly because I had already completed the application the year before. I also applied for Fall 2016 while in my senior year in college (last spring) and submitted my application on the deadline day. I heard absolutely nothing from Fullerton until I got a letter in the mail in June saying I had not been accepted. When I reapplied this year I did add that I have had more work experience since graduating, so that may have helped my application. I had a 3.6 GPA from Scripps 

Edited by Grad2017

5 hours ago, MRSmsw said:

What was asked in the interview and how many people interviewed you? On your letter for your interview did it say how how many people will be interviewing you? I am really nervous for my interview. Any tips and feedback is appreciated. Thanks

Hi everyone,

I was recently offered an interview at CSUF for the full-time program.  I was accepted to two other schools for the same program; I am considering it since I did my undergrad at CSUF. 

Last year, in my senior year of undergrad I applied to one school but was not offered admission, so it feels pretty darn good to have been offered the opportunity at all three schools that I applied to for this fall!  If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask.

13 hours ago, Neeks said:

Congratulations! What type of work experience have you been having recently, if you dont mind me asking? I am asking because I have a bad feeling I will not be receiving an interview, and I am starting to look at jobs to gain experience in the field, so I can have a better chance at Fall 2018

Thanks! I work with people of all ages (though mostly kids) who have special needs or learning disabilities and help them with reading/reading comprehension and stuff like that. However, I'm actually more interested in aging than working with kids, so it doesn't have to be completely relevant work.

12 hours ago, Grad2017 said:

What was asked in the interview and how many people interviewed you? On your letter for your interview did it say how how many people will be interviewing you? I am really nervous for my interview. Any tips and feedback is appreciated. Thanks

They asked general questions like why social work, why aging, etc. and then also asked what I think would be a difficult population to work with and why it would be difficult. After that it was just any questions I had. Overall the interview took like 20 minutes! It was two people interviewing me in a small office, it was pretty laid back and comfortable! I got there a little early and was able to talk to some current students and the chair of the department (David I think?) who all wished me luck so that helped me be less nervous! I'm not really sure what I can say except be yourself!

1 hour ago, ChrisMSW109 said:

Hi everyone,

I was recently offered an interview at CSUF for the full-time program.  I was accepted to two other schools for the same program; I am considering it since I did my undergrad at CSUF. 

Last year, in my senior year of undergrad I applied to one school but was not offered admission, so it feels pretty darn good to have been offered the opportunity at all three schools that I applied to for this fall!  If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask.

Did you submit your letters of recommendation online? or as a physical copy? Also, when did you submit your applications? Congratulations on the big success with your applications?

@Neeks Thank you!  I submitted all of the LORs in person because I wanted to stay on top of the professors; the sooner the application was submitted, the sooner it would get reviewed by the department.  I felt that it was crucial to get the applications in early because some programs admit on a rolling basis.  The earliest application that I submitted was at the beginning of November, and the last application was in early December.