2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

I grew up in the area too! (well about half an hour from Cranbrook, but... ) It is a beautiful place.

Congrats on all of the acceptances!

Oh really?! I grew up in Clarkston, and I went to Marian. :)

I grew up in the area too! (well about half an hour from Cranbrook, but... ) It is a beautiful place.

Congrats on all of the acceptances!

Oh really?! I grew up in Clarkston, and I went to Marian. :)

Accepted to VCU painting with funding on Tuesday 2/23 via phone call!

What did they say to you when they called? I was under the impression that VCU doesn't notify applicants of acceptance over the phone. At least that is what their website says,

"When an admissions decision has been made, you will receive an official written notification of that decision from the dean of the VCU Graduate School. Please be advised that admissions decisions cannot be released over the phone." http://www.vcu.edu/arts/prospective_students/graduate_studies/index.shtml

Is their website just wrong?

I have been nervous to post things on the forum because part of me doesn't want to know BUT... Here is my list. Anyone hear back from RISD, Columbia, SVA, NYU, MICA? If you got an interview at one of these places do you know if they interview everyone that gets in?

THE LIST:

Yale- interview

Parsons- waitlisted

No Word:

RISD

Columbia

SVA

Pratt

NYU

MICA

HOW DOES IT ALL WORK?

I'm sure every school is different. This is how it works based on my UG school. They pick their in's, and their waitlisted's (but don't tell you're waitlisted) and if they hear no's from their in's then they start contacting their waitlisted's. So from my UG school, if you haven't heard from them yet it means you're on the fence. Now, if you call them, they'll tell you straight up, you've been waitlisted.... Hopefully this helps

How does it work at other schools?

Has anyone gotten an interview with UCLA? I have been hearing from the forum that some people have been rejected BUT what about anyone with an interview? I haven't heard anything.

Also, I still haven't gotten any word from schools on the east coast:

Columbia

NYU (even though they just sent back my portfolio CD, which I take as a no)

SVA

HUNTER

YALE (swift no back in Feb.)

got into CCA and SFAI...I have no idea who to pick if I were to move to SF. anyone have any good concrete ideas on the differences between the programs?

If I had to chose between SFAI and CCA for grad, I would def go for SFAI. I got my UG from there...fucking amazing place. Plus the CCA grad center is in a bad part of SF....I've gone to talks there...homeless tent city.

A friend of mine who attended CCA in 2000-2002 and lived in SF for a little bit said that SFAI is in serious financial trouble right now because the head of the school got in trouble for money laundering or something. I dont know anything beyond that, I havent fact checked any of this because I didnt apply there

Money laundering? no, more like mismanagement...The old president has been gone for years (suicide) and the new one is pretty OK.

They are in the same boat everyone else is as far as finances go...I wouldn't not go there just because of that.

this forum is great! it's good to see there are so many of you going through the same thing I am.

here's my results so far for MFA painting

Accepted:

Parsons- Interviewed by phone 2/27, Accepted via email 3/9, got official letter on 3/11

Rejected:

NYU- by mail 3/9

Waiting to hear:

SVA- my top choice

Pratt-

Columbia- (not interviewed so most likely rejected)

Hunter- (not interviewed so most likely rejected)

Does anyone know how merit based scholarships work? would I have received that info with my acceptance packet or does that stuff come separately?

What did they say to you when they called? I was under the impression that VCU doesn't notify applicants of acceptance over the phone. At least that is what their website says,

"When an admissions decision has been made, you will receive an official written notification of that decision from the dean of the VCU Graduate School. Please be advised that admissions decisions cannot be released over the phone." http://www.vcu.edu/a...ies/index.shtml

I think both are kind of true. The graduate program coordinator called to let me know unofficially that I'd been accepted. Then she sent me an unofficial email reiterating what she told me on the phone. Then, a couple weeks later, once the University bureaucracy caught up, I got the official acceptance letter in the mail. A few days later I got the official letter about my scholarship as well.

Good luck!

I too received a rejection letter from UCLA:

UCLA: rej

SVA: no word

Pratt: no word

Otis: accepted!

I heard from Pratt yesterday via email. just stated that the application was complete and that now it would be sent to the specific department (painting) to be reviewed. notification by April 1st

"When an admissions decision has been made, you will receive an official written notification of that decision from the dean of the VCU Graduate School. Please be advised that admissions decisions cannot be released over the phone." http://www.vcu.edu/a...ies/index.shtml

WTF! 2/23? Im so confused. I was really hoping to get in there :(

So long, folks! What a fun and nerve wracking time this has been....

As of today (my birthday actually), I was accepted with generous funding to the summer program at MICA. (My top choice!!!)

I got to see our studios and the Mt. Royal facilities...I am so stoked. Totally sold. Affordable and first rate. laugh.gif Best of luck to you all!!!! My photo peeps...Boy, are you guys crazy talented from the links I saw of your work....Looking forward to seeing everyone blossom in grad school. And for those with disappointing outcomes---DO NOT GIVE UP.

Please PM me if you wanna stay in touch.

Here was my final list:

CONGRATS!! I faced my first interview at ICP _bard :-/ Have mixed feelings. Does anyone know about this program?

Congratulations :lol: Yeah, I think I will visit but I'm not sure when.

Cranbrook painting acceptances:

Congrats to you both! Did you go through any kind of interview or they just flat out take you? They want me to do a phone interview on Wens. Very excited but scared to come so close and miss. Interviewed at MICA Hoff already, went well.

Just got accepted to SVA and Pratt for photography. Even though Pratt wants to give up some money, SVA is not handing out anything. Anyone else on the same boat as me?

Did you interview with SVA? I haven't heard anything...when did all of this happen for you?

I received my Financial package for SFAI but nothing from CCA yet...

does anyone know when calarts or UCI will make a decision? I interviewed with them and I haven't heard anything yet.