2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

Grad_Wannabe.. congrats on MIT! I'm crossing my fingers that they simply haven't emailed me yet..! (gulp)

Still waiting to hear from NYU (MFA) and CU Boulder.

Got a rejection from U Washington yesterday..

But on the bright side, I've got a confirmed full-ride fellowship (stipend + tuition + guaranteed TAships) to UC Santa Barbara, and I was nominated for a similar fellowship at UC Davis. Both UC Davis and UCSB are flying me out and putting me up so that I can visit their programs..

Hey 000era,

Since there seem to be very few posts on here from sculpture applicants, I was wondering where you applied and where you've gotten interview requests so far.... I applied to lots of places and haven't heard from many, so I'm wondering if I've missed the boat.

hey there,

just an interview request at yale and hunter. rej from ucsd and bard. sounds like we should have heard from columbia, usc, ucla by now...but then again, those schools are super competitive, so no big surprise.

what schools are you waiting on?

hey there,

just an interview request at yale and hunter. rej from ucsd and bard. sounds like we should have heard from columbia, usc, ucla by now...but then again, those schools are super competitive, so no big surprise.

what schools are you waiting on?

Wow! Interview at Yale! Congrats! I'm waiting to hear from Columbia as well, and also from RISD, MICA, CCA, Cranbrook and then a couple state schools. Got rejected from SAIC and CalArts, had my interview at SFAI. I would have thought I'd have heard from the others by now, but I'm not sure what their timeline is. Also, competitive places. The desire just to know something is gnawing at me. Let us know what you hear and good luck!!

Grad_Wannabe.. congrats on MIT! I'm crossing my fingers that they simply haven't emailed me yet..! (gulp)

Still waiting to hear from NYU (MFA) and CU Boulder.

Got a rejection from U Washington yesterday..

But on the bright side, I've got a confirmed full-ride fellowship (stipend + tuition + guaranteed TAships) to UC Santa Barbara, and I was nominated for a similar fellowship at UC Davis. Both UC Davis and UCSB are flying me out and putting me up so that I can visit their programs..

Thanks RKSim (and thanks for all the comments, everybody - this site and thread has been an awesome support group for months!!), and congrats on your fellowships!! I haven't heard any funding into at all yet from MIT, I'm worried I'm going to have to suck it up and go into massive debt just to go...

Damn @grad_wannabe, I applied for USC NG too...good to hear they are doing interviews...hope I get a call or email!

How was the interview? They do them on the phone right?

I'm so tired of waiting, I need to move out of this house I'm in, wether it is to LA or to another place around here...I just need to get out. Haha!

So far:

Applied to:

Yale Scuplture (rej)

UCI Crit Theory/Performance art (rej)

UCLA NG (waiting)

USC NG (waiting)

Edited by racuerex

Damn @grad_wannabe, I applied for USC NG too...good to hear they are doing interviews...hope I get a call or email!

I'm so tired of waiting, I need to move out of this house I'm in, wether it is to LA or to another place around here...I just need to get out. Haha!

So far:

Applied to:

Yale Scuplture (rej)

UCI Crit Theory/Performance art (rej)

UCLA NG (waiting)

USC NG (waiting)

I am in the same boat. My living situation is a complete disaster, but I can't move until I know where I am going to be this fall! It is adding a whole other layer of anxiety to this whole process. I got into one school I really like already (CCA), but it's so expensive! It's all combined making me feel like I am going crazy.

Edited by sophiab

Yeah, it was on the phone. Sadie Benning called (which was crazy awesome cause I'm a huge fan of hers anyway - she may or may not be joining core faculty in the fall, she's not quite sure yet). A solid hour of VERY intense and prolonged questioning. If you get a call, be prepared to know your thesis and investigations backwards and forwards.

I just got an email about doing an interview with UCSC. Their MFA program is only 2 years old and solely does digital and new media, which is interesting. Does anyone have any input on what it would be like to go to such a young program?

Just heard got an acceptance letter today from rutgers for painting. thank god i got in somewhere!

still waiting from cca, mills, sva, and risd

Congrats kurla! I really like the painting faculty's work at Rutgers and the proximity to NYC. I'm crossing my fingers for a letter in the mail today too!

How about University of Maryland? Did anyone else on here apply and receive an acceptance?

Hi all, Update on my MFA Painting/Drawing Results:

Rejected:

Yale: (2/8 online system)

SAIC: (3/1 letter)

NYU: (3/5 letter)

Haven't heard from:

Hunter

Columbia

NYU

SVA

NY Studio School

Purchase College

MassArt

SMFA

Congrats kurla! I really like the painting faculty's work at Rutgers and the proximity to NYC. I'm crossing my fingers for a letter in the mail today too!

How about University of Maryland? Did anyone else on here apply and receive an acceptance?

I got into UMBC, which is close haha!

-Liz

I got a rejection letter from Carnegie Mellon yesterday, I thought I would have a better chance there than at CalArts or SAIC, but they think otherwise. I also got a call from CCA yesterday.

CCA Social Practice: Accepted (no aid descision yet)

Calarts: Interview tommorrow

UCLA interdisciplinary: ?

SAIC Sculpture: Interview last weekend

Carnegie Mellon: Rejected

Columbia New Genres: ?

UNC: Fellowship (only 10 awarded in the entire graduate school from any departments)

UNCG: Interview

Yeah, it was on the phone. Sadie Benning called (which was crazy awesome cause I'm a huge fan of hers anyway - she may or may not be joining core faculty in the fall, she's not quite sure yet). A solid hour of VERY intense and prolonged questioning. If you get a call, be prepared to know your thesis and investigations backwards and forwards.

Sadie Benning is awesome! She taught at SAIC briefly. I wish she were still there...

bblarrgg i'm in the airport now about to fly out to LA for an interview!!!

i cant wait for all this to be done, i dont know what to do w/all these extra nerves

anyway heres my update thats not really an update

accepted:

CCA

Tyler

UCSD (w/$)

interivew:

CalArts

Yale decided to turn this down, long/boring story

Columbia

no news/driving me crazy:

USC

UCLA

UCDavis

Last & most importantly: a big CONGRATULATIONS to those hearing about more acceptances coming in!!!

Hi all,

I just posted an update earlier today, so scroll up if you want to read it.

I wanted to add that I just received an email this evening saying that I have been granted an interview with New York Studio School.

(It looks like I may be the only one on here who is applying there, but I figured I'd pass on the info anyway!)

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

I have not yet heard anything from claremont or csulb. csulb's official communication is email, so that's where I expect to hear it from. I interviewed at SAIC this weekend and it seemed to go very well.

best of luck with SAIC! claremont called and emailed all the accepted fall applicants, but their wait list opens up April 15. I tried to call CSULB to see if I got in (Claremont wants my decision ASAP) but they told me results won't be sent out until March 25. I still haven't heard anything from Otis.

bblarrgg i'm in the airport now about to fly out to LA for an interview!!!

i cant wait for all this to be done, i dont know what to do w/all these extra nerves

anyway heres my update thats not really an update

accepted:

CCA

Tyler

UCSD (w/$)

interivew:

CalArts

Yale decided to turn this down, long/boring story

Columbia

no news/driving me crazy:

USC

UCLA

UCDavis

Last & most importantly: a big CONGRATULATIONS to those hearing about more acceptances coming in!!!

just in case you don't know: USC basically pays for your degree if you go there. worst case scenario is you might have to pay for one semester. just thought ppl might want to know if $$$ is an issue. :)

just in case you don't know: USC basically pays for your degree if you go there. worst case scenario is you might have to pay for one semester. just thought ppl might want to know if $$$ is an issue. :)

i knoooow, which is why i'm so bummed about not hearing from them :(

I am in the same boat. My living situation is a complete disaster, but I can't move until I know where I am going to be this fall! It is adding a whole other layer of anxiety to this whole process. I got into one school I really like already (CCA), but it's so expensive! It's all combined making me feel like I am going crazy.

Ya, for undergrad I had to choose between SFAI and CCA...I went with SFAI, and from what I've seen I think I made the right choice for undergrad, I have seen some amazing work from the grads at CCA though. I decided for grad I was going to go cheap and try to get into full ride programs...

So far I've only heard of one person on this forum getting any type of contact from USC, they are probably working through the list over the next couple weeks.

interviews are pretty much done at usc. rumor has it that they received around 800 applications this year (for 8 spots?) and i think around 400 last year...wow!

interviews are pretty much done at usc. rumor has it that they received around 800 applications this year (for 8 spots?) and i think around 400 last year...wow!

Whoa are you serious - 800 applicants? Where did you hear that number? And yeah, only 8 spots.

Whoa are you serious - 800 applicants? Where did you hear that number? And yeah, only 8 spots.

the figure (800) could be wrong, but that's what i heard...i do know that there was a SIGNIFICANT increase in applicants to usc this year.