2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

Nobody else applying to RISD Digital Media?

I talked to someone with CMU about visiting, and they said they are mailing letters this week. I really would love to get in there. They have amazing art, CS, HCI, engineering all in one place which would be perfect for me, but their program is so small!

Did you apply to MICA GD MFA? As far as I know, MICA GD MFA only conduct interviews in March. Mine is next week.

Yes, MICA GD MFA. My interview was on February 1st. There website says the notifications (of acceptance) go out on March 19th.

Are you applying to VCU?

I have somehow managed to apply to 4 schools that seem to take their sweet time with acceptance. urgh!!!!!!!!!

I've gotten 4 rejection letters so far-now I'm down to my #1 choice and my bottom 3. I can't take much more stress. :(

Following for a while...new to post!

Yale: Interview 3/23

Northwestern: Accepted

UCLA: ?

USC:?

Columbia:?

Interviewed @ Yale in 2008 right out of undergrad....leaning towards NW due to full funding and stipend. Anyone else hear from Columbia besides Kewpies?

Here's my list (MFA Graphic Design)

VCU- ?? (The website says acceptance notifications are sent out March 3rd, today!) I noticed on twitter that someone has already been accepted to the Visual Comm MFA program at VCU, I think they were accepted just yesterday. Not sure what to make of this. Would VCU notify accepted students at different times, or all at once?

MICA- Interview on 2/1

Pratt- ?? (The website says notifications are sent out before 4/1)

SVA- ??

Good luck everyone. The wait is almost over.

Hey. I applied to VCU for MFA VisCom. I am assuming I will be rejected as I have been at both UofA and UT-Austin. My application sign in used to say Application Status and something about it being complete ready to be reviewed. That is now gone and it now says Application DataAdmission Term:Fall 2010Admission Type:Graduate

I can't remember if it used to say this with that ready for review statement. I think it is cruel to keep the words admission up if I am rejected! Does yours say the same thing?

Nobody else applying to RISD Digital Media?

I talked to someone with CMU about visiting, and they said they are mailing letters this week. I really would love to get in there. They have amazing art, CS, HCI, engineering all in one place which would be perfect for me, but their program is so small!

Yea I applied to RISD Digital Media, no word so far. Have you heard anything yet? Do you know if they conduct interviews?

just got back from my interview in london at slade.

so far(sculpture):

slade: interviewed 2/24

saic, calarts, yale: rej

columbia, hunter, ucla, uw(seattle): ??

am pretty nervous since i don't have an actual offer anywhere yet.

Hey. I applied to VCU for MFA VisCom. I am assuming I will be rejected as I have been at both UofA and UT-Austin. My application sign in used to say Application Status and something about it being complete ready to be reviewed. That is now gone and it now says Application DataAdmission Term:Fall 2010Admission Type:Graduate

I can't remember if it used to say this with that ready for review statement. I think it is cruel to keep the words admission up if I am rejected! Does yours say the same thing?

Mine says that same thing. I don't think the "ready for review" has much to do with it. Look at the previous page and you'll see "Application Preference" and then under it it says "not entered." I think that means they haven't made a decision yet.

I'm more worried about what I found out on twitter. Someone already got into the VCU VisCom program. Don't you think they would tell everyone who was accepted at once???

Application Data

Term: Fall 2010

Admission type: Graduate

Hey so I tried to log in to this site but had trouble, sent them an email about-hopefully figure something out. My question is whether or not anyone has given you any information about funding(fellowships, grants, TA positions etc)?

the head of the MFA program Ted Purves called me on monday and said something about us finding out by the end of the this week.

I called and double checked about my online admission status with CCA, and I have been indeed accepted! I'm so happy, it's my first acceptance! I applied to MFA interdisciplinary, and they said they are going to send out actual letters next week.

You should be able to see your decision status online, but I don't know if they did photo yet.

I heard about an offer for interview at Hunter on March 20th. I applied for photo.

I heard from SAIC today: tactful rejection with an offer for the BFA program as a Prior Degree (non-BFA) student. I would be considered for a scholarship if interested.

Not really sure what to think, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad backup plan, especially if there's a scholarship. I definitely don't have coursework close to a BFA (undergrad was music/pre-vet in 1999), so I don't find it insulting. I'm sure I could use the extra time to make work with university resources.

Does anyone know anything about this? It's not the Post-bac. Does everyone without a BFA get offered this with their MFA rejection?

Hi Elaine,

I got offered this option when I applied two years ago. I went so far as to go out there and begin classes before deciding it wasn't for me. There is a small group of people who receive this option and many of them come from very different backgrounds such as yourself. I would consider it if they provide funding and you want an opportunity to use their facilities, explore, etc. however, its nothing like an MFA and you don't get the guidance and support one might want from an MFA program.

Hi Everyone Else,

I'm wondering if hunter and nyu interview everyone they end up accepting... Here are my stats so far for this year

MICA Hoffberger/low-residency: phone interview with director (of both programs) last week. He said i should know in the next few days. this was a very impromptu phone interview. is it bad that i wasn't asked to come to the school to interview in person? Director said I'm higher on the list for low res program than for hoffberger, but still in the running for both

tyler:rej

saic:rej

nyu:?

rutgers:?

hunter:?

pratt:?

MICA mount royal:?

CUNYcity college: ?

@erinvieve: MICA low-residency: Who did you speak with? The director of the low-residency is a woman. Zlata Baum. Me and my friend were interviewed about 11 days ago and they said we would know this week. Everyone did Skype or phone interviews for the low-residency according to my interviewer. The faculty that called you is supposedly the one that wants to work with you in the program....this is why I am asking.

I was on a "short list" supposedly for both full-time and summer.

@erinvieve: MICA low-residency: Who did you speak with? The director of the low-residency is a woman. Zlata Baum. Me and my friend were interviewed about 11 days ago and they said we would know this week. Everyone did Skype or phone interviews for the low-residency according to my interviewer. The faculty that called you is supposedly the one that wants to work with you in the program....this is why I am asking.

I was on a "short list" supposedly for both full-time and summer.

@littlenova - Indeed, yes, I was interviewed by Timothy App, painting professor, interim director of Hoffberger. Really lovely guy. I'm relieved to hear they were all phone/skype interviews. In a way it was great, because I had no time to get nervous or overly prepare - I just picked up the phone, and he was like, "mind if I ask you some questions?" It was 9 o'clock at night, and I'm pretty sure I was watching Top Chef when I answered. VERY informal.

I applied to all 3, but App said he was specifically inquiring on behalf of Hoffberger and Summer program.

also, 10 or 12 will be accepted out of 60 applicants to summer program. 8 spots for hoffberger, 214 applicants.

Edited by erinvieve

@erinvieve: Okeydoke. That makes sense. But, Timothy App isn't the summer director is he? I was told Zlata Baum was and that is who would be going through the recommendations from the interview list this week. Probably doesn't matter. I interviewed with Bibiana Suarez, the faculty member who wanted to work with me.

Yeah, I heard about 10 would be accepted as a whole for summer. She was recommending only 2 for her. The Photo program odds were a bit more competitive, but I had already made the first cut.

I am going nuts over here. I had an hour long interview...and it went super well. This is my TOP CHOICE. That program is amazing. Maybe we'll both get in. What was weird was, my REALLY CLOSE FRIEND does drawing and she was picked by the same faculty member and we are up against each other for those 2 spots. Crazy, right?

We interviewed within hours of each other. We hail from the same school and we show in the same circles....but, we do WAY different work.

I hope we find out soon. Best of luck to you!!!!

Edited by littlenova

@erinvieve: Okeydoke. That makes sense. But, Timothy App isn't the summer director is he? I was told Zlata Baum was and that is who would be going through the recommendations from the interview list this week. Probably doesn't matter. I interviewed with Bibiana Suarez, the faculty member who wanted to work with me.

Yeah, I heard about 10 would be accepted as a whole for summer. She was recommending only 2 for her. The Photo program odds were a bit more competitive, but I had already made the first cut.

I am going nuts over here. I had an hour long interview...and it went super well. This is my TOP CHOICE. That program is amazing. Maybe we'll bot get in. What was weird was, my REALLY CLOSE FRIEND does drawing and she was picked by the same faculty member and we are up against each other for those 2 spots. Crazy, right?

We interviewed within hours of each other. We hail from the same school and we show in the same circles....but, we do WAY different work.

I hope we find out soon. Best of luck to you!!!!

That is an amazing coincidence. Best of luck to both of you!!

No, Timothy App isn't the summer director. It's my top choice as well.... so nervous. Nice talking with you.

Just emailed Cornell (painting) and they told me...so you might want to email them if you are wondering like I did...

I was curious about Cornell, too, so I emailed them to ask. All I got back was a generic statement that all applicants will hear by mid- to late March. Ugh. I think I would've heard by now if they wanted to interview me.

Edited by swartzturfle

Yes, MICA GD MFA. My interview was on February 1st. There website says the notifications (of acceptance) go out on March 19th.

Are you applying to VCU?

Where does it say the notifications of acceptance go out on the 19th? Just curious...

Yea I applied to RISD Digital Media, no word so far. Have you heard anything yet? Do you know if they conduct interviews?

I haven't heard anything yet, and their website says they do interviews, I think.

Anyone out there still not heard from SAIC??? I was thinking a rejection would be in my mailbox today since a few others said they got theirs on Monday. Maybe because I'm on the west coast it takes longer... grrrr!!!! I'm seriously sick to my stomach at this point.

In other news, I emailed RISD admissions for painting and they said:

Hello Michelle,

Thank you for applying to Rhode Island School of Design.

We haven't heard from the graduate Painting Department yet. Graduate decision letters are scheduled to be mailed by March 24th.

Good luck with your application!

Admissions Office

Rhode Island School of Design

I'm not sure what this means, especially since I saw someone post that they have an interview on March 24. I'm so confused! I wish it were all over. So to recap once more:

Interview: SFAI (March 10)

No Word: SAIC, RISD, Columbia, UCLA, PNCA, Univ. of Washington

P.S. I had a friend that applied to the Univ. of Washington a few years ago (he ended up going to Cranbrook and graduated last Spring) and they didn't call him until the end of May! No word until the end of May when they finally told him he was accepted... he told them he was leaving for Michigan the next day and that was that. I can't wait until June!!! AGH!!!!