2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

Hi guys! Do you think a skype interview is less advantageous than an in-person interview? I live outside of the States so I have to schedule distance interviews with most school. Can anyone who's done distance interview share some thoughts?

Congrats, sophiab and kewpies! We'll find out together soon (I hope)! But are they really disorganized with their letters as sophiab said? They don't strike me like that.

@ thanks sophiab!!! i dont know how i managed to miss all of that. it looks like i'm admitted too, if the site is right...

I heard from SAIC today: tactful rejection with an offer for the BFA program as a Prior Degree (non-BFA) student. I would be considered for a scholarship if interested.

Not really sure what to think, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad backup plan, especially if there's a scholarship. I definitely don't have coursework close to a BFA (undergrad was music/pre-vet in 1999), so I don't find it insulting. I'm sure I could use the extra time to make work with university resources.

Does anyone know anything about this? It's not the Post-bac. Does everyone without a BFA get offered this with their MFA rejection?

I heard from SAIC today: tactful rejection with an offer for the BFA program as a Prior Degree (non-BFA) student. I would be considered for a scholarship if interested.

Not really sure what to think, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad backup plan, especially if there's a scholarship. I definitely don't have coursework close to a BFA (undergrad was music/pre-vet in 1999), so I don't find it insulting. I'm sure I could use the extra time to make work with university resources.

Does anyone know anything about this? It's not the Post-bac. Does everyone without a BFA get offered this with their MFA rejection?

elaine, your situation sounds rather unique! I have always thought of the Post-Bac offer a rather "back-handed compliment" of sorts. To have been "out-of-the-loop," so to speak, since 1999, but offered a BFA with funding--that sounds worlds better!

I would ask them if there is *any* possible way of expediting this degree. How many semesters/years would the work entail? There's got to be some give there.

In the end, it all depends on what you're looking for, and where you are coming from; both geologically and intellectually speaking. I think the city (Chicago) has some great opportunities to network. The extra time spent could be *well* worth it in the long run.

Best of luck to you!

elaine, your situation sounds rather unique! I have always thought of the Post-Bac offer a rather "back-handed compliment" of sorts. To have been "out-of-the-loop," so to speak, since 1999, but offered a BFA with funding--that sounds worlds better!

I would ask them if there is *any* possible way of expediting this degree. How many semesters/years would the work entail? There's got to be some give there.

In the end, it all depends on what you're looking for, and where you are coming from; both geologically and intellectually speaking. I think the city (Chicago) has some great opportunities to network. The extra time spent could be *well* worth it in the long run.

Best of luck to you!

Elaine,

Unfortunately, it seems as if a lot of people get that offer. I did (sculpture MFA) and my friend, who got rejected as a photo candidate last year, also got the offer. It basically is an opportunity to build your experience/portfolio to increase your chances of getting into an MFA program in the following year. It's ususally a one-year program (don't think that's variable), but I have heard that it actually does increase your chances significantly (I heard MICA MFA students haveing a panel discussion about it and tons of them were prior Post-Bac students.

On another note, where are my sculpture people? I am anxiously waiting to hear from many schools and haven't heard much from other sculpture candidates. I heard one person got a RISD interview.... anyone else (sculpture) have news on RISD, CCA, VCU, MICA.... ? Let me know!!

Yeah, I have to agree with you. I did a quick search of last years forum, and there was another poster who got their call from Columbia on a Saturday near the beginning of March ... I'm thinking I got passed by...

Sadly, this simply isn't true - the person you spoke with may have been speaking about the other departments in the school of art. Unfortunately for us - those applying for a visual arts MFA - they most certainly do interview everyone. There are only 25 people admitted per year - they curate the selection of students, and interviews are an important part of that process. I've known tons of kids who have gone there and sat on panels. They definitely interview everybody they're interested in.

The only slim light we have - painting usually makes their calls earliest, new genres makes their decisions last.

Blah, it sucks, I know.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks. I think the time could be well worth it too. We'll see what my 6 other schools have to say. Having been out of school for so long, I'm very aware of what the university environment affords, not only with networking, but access to facilities for resource-heavy fields like ceramics and sculpture. I imagine it a little different for 2-D artists.

I believe the program is an optional BFA, with all the liberal arts portions waived - a semester course load would be 3 studio electives, a history class, and a research studio specifically for students with non-BFA backgrounds. I'm calling them today to find out more about funding and what other types of students I'd be matriculating with. After a little googling last night, I found 3 people who did this and are now in MFA programs including 1 at Yale in sculpture. So it's interesting...

Hello all - I applied to Pratt's grad ComD program and SVA's MFA in Interaction Design program for Fall 2010. Has anyone heard anything from either of those two schools yet? Any expectations for when we would hear something regarding interviews/decisions? I know the deadline is April 1....just wondering if someone has better information. Thanks!

So I'm getting pretty antsy. I haven't heard anything from Parsons, University of Washington-Seattle, University of Houston, Rutgers, and Florida State University. I know some of those are less mentioned schools on here, but has anyone heard anything from those schools?

So I'm getting pretty antsy. I haven't heard anything from Parsons, University of Washington-Seattle, University of Houston, Rutgers, and Florida State University. I know some of those are less mentioned schools on here, but has anyone heard anything from those schools?

University of Washington is one of my top picks. So far I've gotten 3 rejection letters, I don't know what I'm going to do if I get rejected from there too! I'm getting so depressed :(

starting to drive myself a wee bit crazy. no word yet from Concordia or NSCAD. ack!

Hey,

I wouldn't worry yourself too much yet. Canadian schools take a lot longer, my friend applied to Concordia and hasn't heard back either, I think they send out stuff late March, early April. Good luck!!

I applied to RISD as well, but I haven't heard a peep since January when they confirmed that my application had been received. It says on their website that they're going to mail decisions on or before March 24th. My guess is that they're gonna cut it close, so I'm not expecting anything for at least a few more weeks : (

Edited by shutterbug

Hey,

I wouldn't worry yourself too much yet. Canadian schools take a lot longer, my friend applied to Concordia and hasn't heard back either, I think they send out stuff late March, early April. Good luck!!

Thanks!! I'm only worried cause last year I applied and got a wait list email in late feb. I heard that Concordia is sending stuff out this week for MFA (from a faculty member I know, but she's in a different department, just in the loop)

starting to drive myself a wee bit crazy. no word yet from Concordia or NSCAD. ack!

I know! You know what I miss? Knowing what to look for. Big envelope=good thin envelope = bad. Now it's waiting for the mail, the e-mail, and checking online and still not knowing which way the news is going to come...

Who has heard (interview/rejection/acceptance) from CCA or Hunter for photo? Seems like we should be hearing from them soon...

I called and double checked about my online admission status with CCA, and I have been indeed accepted! I'm so happy, it's my first acceptance! I applied to MFA interdisciplinary, and they said they are going to send out actual letters next week.

You should be able to see your decision status online, but I don't know if they did photo yet.

Edited by sophiab

I just got admitted to SAIC via E-mail notification!!! So excited!!!

Admission

SAIC - MFA Studio Visual Communications

Interviews

Yale (3/29)

Calarts (3/4)

Pending

RISD

CCA

Pratt

Boston

UIC

NYU ITP

Have you heard from UIC, yet?

I also have yet to hear anything from FSU.