2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

I know just how you feel. I have been feeling the exact same! Good luck with your interview!

add me to that list too. My mind is pretty set on next year already and I'm still waiting to hear from 2 schools. If I do get an acceptance, I very well may defer for a year. Is that weird?

ETA not sure how I posted that twice.

Edited by turnip

Hello, all...

Just found this site, and am simultaneously relieved and FREAKED OUT.

Any stateside applicants for the MFA in Visual Communications at SAIC?

I've so far found only two admissions, and they are both international. (Congrats, Jestem--you are one of those two.)

I only applied four places, as I'm trying to coordinate with my partner's teaching applications. We are both looking to relocate to Chicago.

University of Illinois at Chicago -- waitlisted

Have yet to hear from:

Parsons

SAIC

Columbia College

@Photogrl: Looky! We applied to the same programs, same discipline-sorta...I also applied to VCU and GMU, but I applied to Maine and MICA as well.

I was interviewed at MICA on Monday and accepted at Maine on Wed.

I did a residency with Sue from GMU, so she had already seen my work and offered me a tentative admission, but I am waiting to hear about the funding. Did you tour the new facility yet? It's a great new building and Sue and Peggy are awesome. GMU will supposedly make formal decisions in 2 weeks.

VCU is taking their sweet time! Glad you are on the board. biggrin.gif We can commiserate...hahah

Edited by littlenova

I've been lurking for a while here and finally decided to join the crowd/conversation

I was having a bad spell of rejections.... Yale, Tyler, SAIC and UNM (my top choice, applied for the new MFA Art and Ecology program so who knows how that panned out....) however found out i have an interview with MassArt!

My portfolio is both painting and photography, and I view it generally as one body of work I have installed together. As my recommenders suggested its a big risk applying to places with a mixed portfolio (I could be easily accused of being not focused? Yeah, yeah) but supported my decision to not just pick one. I want a place that respects my process and likes my wide focus//expression. So I am excited about MassArt but also dreading the kind of questions I might get in the interview.

I am still waiting to hear from Penn, Columbia, and UCSB.

congrats!! did they interview you first or are they just calling to notify of acceptances? i applied but havent heard from them yet.

Accepted to VCU painting with funding on Tuesday 2/23 via phone call!

Rejected from Yale and Tyler.

Still waiting to hear from:

RISD

Columbia

Hunter

@Photogrl: Looky! We applied to the same programs, same discipline-sorta...I also applied to VCU and GMU, but I applied to Maine and MICA as well.

I was interviewed at MICA on Monday and accepted at Maine on Wed.

I did a residency with Sue from GMU, so she had already seen my work and offered me a tentative admission, but I am waiting to hear about the funding. Did you tour the new facility yet? It's a great new building and Sue and Peggy are awesome. GMU will supposedly make formal decisions in 2 weeks.

VCU is taking their sweet time! Glad you are on the board. biggrin.gif We can commiserate...hahah

I noticed! Actually your post of GMU acceptance triggered me to look at my application again and saw the were still missing my CV (after a couple of trys) so thanks for that! Congrats on the MICA interview. Did you go for the low res program or the two year?

I went to Mason for a grad program last Spring, but haven't been there since the new building was finished.

My work is a very "mixed media" approach to photo. Not sure it's the best fit for all of my schools, but we shall see (hopefully sooner than later).

Edited by photogrl

@NWT1983: What discipline?

Hey Littlenova, thanks for getting back to me, I applied for painting... what is the general census on UCLA, Columbia, MICA and Tyler? Other then the US news ranking what has anyone heard about these programs or have they gone to see any of them?

Anyone, anything is much appreciated!

Yea, its all just one program. Check your junkmail, my email from them was in my junkmail.

Also just heard back from UNC Chapel Hill today. I got accepted and they recommended me for a school-wide fellowship.

CCA Social Practice: Interview

CalArts: Interview

UCLA Interdisciplinary: ?

SAIC Sculpture: Interview

SAIC Performance: Waitlist

Carnegie Mellon: ?

Columbia New Genres: ?

UNC: Accepted

UNCGreensboro: Interview

3 to go.

I got accepted into UNC Chapel Hill also but, with no mention of financial assistantship... Hmm...

CCA= ACCEPTED(Interview 2/13)(2/27 via Email Acceptance)

UW MADISON=ACCEPTED

(No Word From Any of these schools)

VCU= ?

RISD=?

HUNTER=?

PRATT=?

SAIC=?

BERKELEY= REJECTED

Congrats on your acceptances! Now, I'm worried about CCA. I heard nothing from them. Do you know how many people they're accepting and do you know if they interviewed everyone they wanted? Did they give you any info? I wonder if this means I'm out..

I've been lurking for a while here and finally decided to join the crowd/conversation

I was having a bad spell of rejections.... Yale, Tyler, SAIC and UNM (my top choice, applied for the new MFA Art and Ecology program so who knows how that panned out....) however found out i have an interview with MassArt!

My portfolio is both painting and photography, and I view it generally as one body of work I have installed together. As my recommenders suggested its a big risk applying to places with a mixed portfolio (I could be easily accused of being not focused? Yeah, yeah) but supported my decision to not just pick one. I want a place that respects my process and likes my wide focus//expression. So I am excited about MassArt but also dreading the kind of questions I might get in the interview.

I am still waiting to hear from Penn, Columbia, and UCSB.

Just curious, how did you find out you were rejected from UNM? They're also one of my top choices, but I haven't heard anything from them...I'm assuming I got rejected :(

Still so nervous! Asked SAIC admissions (via their Facebook page) if domestic applicants--to the MFA Visual Communications--can expect to hear soon.

Yes.

I urge you to seek out SAIC Admissions on Facebook. There is someone answering all questions, every day! We're all getting pretty antsy.

In the meantime, I have to deal with the fact that, not only am I going stir crazy, but I seem to be alone in that I can't find any fellow MFA VisCom applicants! Where are my people?!?

Beginning to think I should've been a painter--there seems to be solidarity in that!

Was feeling really good about my one interview from SFAI... after reading everyone's acceptances and not hearing either way from anyone else, I'm starting to get a little down about things. I guess I'm either rejected or wait-listed for SAIC (no word either way from them) and haven't heard anything from RISD so I'm assuming the same for them. Lamesville! But am happy for you all getting positive feedback. More waiting I guess...

Congrats on your acceptances! Now, I'm worried about CCA. I heard nothing from them. Do you know how many people they're accepting and do you know if they interviewed everyone they wanted? Did they give you any info? I wonder if this means I'm out..

I want to say he said there were something like 40 spots maybe but I cant remember. Honestly I was about to email them today because it had been so long since I heard from them post interview. I dont know if they interview everyone, it might say something about it on their website. Sorry I cant be of more help. Also at this point I have no clue about funding yet..which is pretty important

Hey everyone,

Here is my list thus far (I applied to a lot of places):

I applied in sculpture to places that offered it, otherwise in the general MFA art programs.

Yale:Rejected

RISD:Interview

Cornell:Interview

Michigan:Interview

University of Chicago:Accepted with half tuition funding

Alfred:Accepted with full funding plus stipend (They offer this to everyone accepted)

Ohio State:Accepted and high on waitlist for funding

USC:Nothing yet

VCU:Nothing yet

Iowa:Nothing yet

Tyler:Nothing yet

Quick question, I may not find out if I get funding from Ohio State until the last minute (depends on when people tell them if they are not going there). Anyone have any idea what the typical Ohio State funding package is? I just am wondering because it would be good to know to weigh against other options.

I wish everyone the best of luck with the process and congratulate those who have been accepted to places. For those who haven't been, don't sweat it. I applied to eight places last year and got a big zero in the acceptances department. So things really can change in a year so don't get too down!

hi! congrats on all your interviews and acceptances! I was just wondering how/ when did Cornell notify you of your interview? Thanks

hi shutterbug,

congrats on your acceptance as well! I received notice via email and was told that a letter will arrive soon. I asked the grad chair for an assistantship and she said that a letter outlining financial aid will come in three weeks. So we shall see! I hope that we are both offered a good package. Good luck!

quote name='shutterbug' date='26 February 2010 - 10:01 PM' timestamp='1267221702' post='120524']

@krixa Congrats on the UMass acceptance. I applied there as well, but to the design department for photo. I got an email that said I've been accepted, but no official letter yet, and no word on funding. Just out of curiosity, how were you notified, and did you get a funding offer?

@photogrl: I applied to both MICA's summer and 2 year. I was shortlisted at both and interviewed with the summer program. I am actually thinking the summer program would fit best as I work in film and sound as well. They have some new faculty that came from Bard that work in sound...so...I am hoping.

Did you do a non-degree seeking thing at GMU? Why are you reapplying? Just wondering.

I actually think that I might pass on GMU for another program. I like it there, but I really care about exhibition opportunities and connections and working out of Fairfax is sort of a minus in my book.

My backup school is Maine (full-funding), but I am holding out for MICA or VCU.

@NWT1987: That question really is personal, because it relates to the work you do and the kind of work coming out of each program. I can only speak for the east coast schools, but MICA and Columbia are just amazing! I am sort of drinking the MICA kool-aid right now and really hope I get in, because their reputation is only growing. Every place I ever wanted to show, there seems to be a damn MICA alum that has beat me to the punch. lol! laugh.gif

Edited by littlenova