2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

Thanks Michelle :) SF is a nice city, I love living here. But I'm curious about the east coast too. Good luck to all of us.

I wonder, is anybody here from the west coast interviewing at RISD? Also, did anyone else apply to SAIC printmedia? And have you heard anything??

The east coast is pretty cool... grew up in pennsylvania and lived in jersey city for awhile outside of NYC. I think I'm officially a west coast girl now though (unless Columbia or RISD miraculously called me and said you're in and we're paying for you to go to school! hahaha!). Can't beat the "winters"! :)

I still haven't heard from SAIC for painting either way alizarin. I think a bunch of people have had interviews and rejections... it's really weirding me out at this point. Anyways... I guess we're kinda in the same boat if you're still waiting to hear as well. Getting kinda cranky at these schools... I hope to hear some good news soon!

just got back from my interview in london at slade.

so far(sculpture):

slade: interviewed 2/24

saic, calarts, yale: rej

columbia, hunter, ucla, uw(seattle): ??

am pretty nervous since i don't have an actual offer anywhere yet.

Congrats on the interview for slade! How did the interview go? Did you have to make a special trip just for the interview? I just got an email earlier this week for an interview at Royal College of Art (!) and have been accepted via email letter to Goldsmiths (!!!) on Thursday. (Yes, looks like the English like my work or they are looking forward to my international money!) RCA refuses to do a phone interview so I have to decide if spending the money to fly to London is worth it, but now that I know about Goldsmiths I can at least check out their studios at the same time. Any reason you chose Slade specifically over the other London schools?

Anyone out there have any information about Royal College of Art vs. Goldsmiths? Or just any info in general (have never been, don't know anyone who's been, and just know what the internet tells me which is very little!)

So far:

Goldsmiths - accepted (3/4)

Yale - rej (2/8)

CCA -

Hunter -

Bard - rej (2/15)

SAIC - rej (2/5)

UCLA -

Penn State -

Royal College of Art - email req. interview (2/25), interview (3/22)

Good luck everyone!

@nathancotephoto: Those are some great odds! Congrats and good luck!

@bubbletea: I haven't heard anything from Parson's photo yet either. And I feel like if they do interviews we should already know or know really soon, right? I remember reading in a thread a couple of pages back someone getting a Parsons painting interview. Not that the departments are necessarily done at the same time. I don't know

Congrats on the interview for slade! How did the interview go? Did you have to make a special trip just for the interview? I just got an email earlier this week for an interview at Royal College of Art (!) and have been accepted via email letter to Goldsmiths (!!!) on Thursday. (Yes, looks like the English like my work or they are looking forward to my international money!) RCA refuses to do a phone interview so I have to decide if spending the money to fly to London is worth it, but now that I know about Goldsmiths I can at least check out their studios at the same time. Any reason you chose Slade specifically over the other London schools?

Anyone out there have any information about Royal College of Art vs. Goldsmiths? Or just any info in general (have never been, don't know anyone who's been, and just know what the internet tells me which is very little!)

So far:

Yale - rej (2/8)

CCA -

Hunter -

Bard - rej (2/15)

SAIC - rej (2/5)

UCLA -

Penn State -

Good luck everyone!

Hey congrats on the interview and acceptance!

I thought my interview went pretty well but I don't really know what my competition was like...the odds were 1 in 3 for interviews. I applied to Slade because one of my undergrad professors attended there for his MFA. And when I was looking at student work was really impressed with both the graduate and undergraduate students(on website). I didn't even think about applying to other schools in the UK because I thought Slade was a long shot. I'm glad I did though! :) I'd always heard how art in America is a bit different from art in Europe but didn't think it still applied in today's age of globalism. However, now that I've had much more luck with Slade than any of the American schools(so far), am starting to think there must be at least some differences. I should have applied to more schools in Europe!!

I did fly to London for the interview. And since I hadn't been there before, it was nice to look around London and play tourist. The city is truly amazing and there was soo much art. I heard there's actually more museums in London than NY or Paris. It was exciting to think that I may be attending school there. Also, I've already lived in NY for a couple of years and so moving to Europe would be the next ideal adventure. I would definitely say yes you should fly to London for the interview! If anything, you can check out both Goldsmiths and Royal College and see some great art!! Good luck with everything! Who knows? Maybe we'll both end up in the UK.

Hey - I got into the RCA two years ago. It's an amazing program, an amazing school that turns out some of the best artists around. I had to turn them down tho - they offer no funding or financial assistance to non-uk students. Not only that, but you pay approximately 8 times what the locals pay. So basically, foreign students are funding the education for the Brits. And that's not including the insane cost of living in london. So I just couldn't justify it. I'm constantly regretting it - everytime I see a new artist I like, they're always ex-RCA...but still I don't think I could have stomached paying 8 times what everyone else was paying for the same education.

Goldsmiths is also excellent, tho not quite the caliber of the RCA - but they at least offer some financial assistance, but stil nothing amazing.

So yeah - the RCA is incredible, but a very financially difficult option for foreigners.

Also - Anyone heard from Columbia photo yet? I'm stupidly holding out hope. But really, if you haven't heard by them this week, then yr screwed. Lame, I know.

So far:

Yale - rej (2/8)

CCA -

Hunter -

Bard - rej (2/15)

SAIC - rej (2/5)

UCLA -

Penn State -

Good luck everyone!

Edited by helenforsdale

@nathancotephoto: Those are some great odds! Congrats and good luck!

@bubbletea: I haven't heard anything from Parson's photo yet either. And I feel like if they do interviews we should already know or know really soon, right? I remember reading in a thread a couple of pages back someone getting a Parsons painting interview. Not that the departments are necessarily done at the same time. I don't know

Hey mbadger, I emailed the director two weeks ago and he wrote me back and said they'll be reviewing apps last week, so it's been 2 weeks since I heard from him. I'm trying to have hope since I have scowered the net and don't see any word on anyone getting an interview, but 2 weeks seems unpromising. I wis us both luck and I'll let you know if I hear anything. Thanks for reaching out!

Regarding an interview, I had heard that Columbia gets back to MFA photo applicants the last week of March. Can anyone verify this? Has anyone heard back from Columbia yet who had applied to their photo concentration?

Thanks!

@ATumble - Makes sense to apply when you know someone who went. I would have also applied to Slade but was getting app weary and arbitrarily drew the line. Yeah and I too thought the London schools would be total long shots! Glad to hear you had a chance to check out the art scene while there. Looks like I'll bite the bullet and make the trip... after all why did I apply if I wasn't going to go through with it? I've been to London a couple of short times, lived in Paris (and also lived in NY btw!) so was also feeling the pull of the other side. Thx for the encouragement and here's hoping for Autumn in London!

@helenforsdale - Yeah, too bad RCA is wickedly expensive - it's like 10,000 pounds more/year than Goldsmiths, so even if I got in, I'm pretty sure I'd just stick with Goldsmiths. But either way, I'm hoping federal aid will cover it, even though they're international schools, they were still considered "eligible schools" on the FAFSA, but what do I know all this financial aid stuff is so confusing! Did you reapply this year (or are you already in a program?), and if so, did you do London schools again?

@Ghu, Re: Columbia - Nope, last year they notified interviews first week of march - photo rejections were received by the middle of the month. I don't think any photo people have heard yet...although I could be wrong.

@Animal Re: London/RCA - I know I was a top choice for the program I got into, but I couldn't shake the fact that maybe they were just accepting me to bankroll the program. No, I didn't reapply. Most schools don't handle being rejected well. I've never once heard of a student who turned down an offer getting in again. And the financial situation wouldn't have changed. Yes, the RCA is part of FAFSA, but that doesnt help w/ the insane cost of living in London. I live in NYC and London is about 2, 3 times the cost. As far as reputation/difficulty of getting in goes - It's RCA>Goldsmiths>Slade

Between the three, if money wasn't an issue, I'd pick the RCA hands down. The work that comes out of that school is just amazing. I would have fit in very well there - so it bums the heck out of me. Of course, I hate London, so there's that.

And yeah - the EU has a very different approach. I've gotten into every EU school/program I've applied to, but can't manage to land a single offer in the US. It's frustrating the heck out of me.

Regarding an interview, I had heard that Columbia gets back to MFA photo applicants the last week of March. Can anyone verify this? Has anyone heard back from Columbia yet who had applied to their photo concentration?

Thanks!

Edited by helenforsdale

@animal handler: yay for London! Living in London is expensive. However, FAFSA is available like you've said and also if you end up attending school there, you can be eligible to work part time during the school year and full time during the summers. Also, when I was visiting London, I met a friend of a friend who was paying 400 pounds a month, which is comparable to cheaper rent in nyc(yes, she had to look at like 20 different places but still!!) And by the way, I don't know about Goldsmiths or Royal College but for Slade, the tuition was actually cheaper than say Columbia or Yale even with the exchange rate. Besides, you'll be in LONDON, not some middle-of-the-boonies-cow-town. :) And all the museums are free!! There are lots of ways to have fun without spending loads of money AND ways to cut costs here and there that add up in the long run. It's sad but regardless of whether or not you stay in the states or go abroad, you'll probably end up with loans. But hey! we're not studying fine arts because it makes sense financially...right?? :) So good luck with your interview and enjoy your trip! Cheers!

@ ghu112 I heard back from Columbia univ photo on March 3rd for an interview. This was a day after I wrote asking about the decisions. It may help to write or call them.

Thanks for letting me know! I hope that it's not too late to e-mail them. When is your interview scheduled for?

@ ghu112 I heard back from Columbia univ photo on March 3rd for an interview. This was a day after I wrote asking about the decisions. It may help to write or call them.

Got my first rejection letter yesterday (March 6) from the University of Washington in painting. So sad! Just wanted to let ya'll know to watch out for mail this week. I live in Portland so I'm sure it got to me super fast. Good luck to everyone! Here's my updated list (all in painting/drawing/visual studies where applicable):

Rejected:

Univ. of Washington (3/6)

Interview:

SFAI (3/10)

No word:

SAIC

RISD

Columbia

UCLA

PNCA

Don't know if anyone here (participating or browsing) applied for Columbia College Chicago, Interdisciplinary Arts, but I received an e-mail this evening for a phone interview.

Still waiting on Parsons Graphic Design.

No word on the waitlist status with UIC, Graphic Design.

Accepted SAIC, Visual Communications.

@bubbletea: Thanks! I wish you luck too!!

I received my University of Washington (photo) rejection letter today too.

So recap:

Rejected:

SAIC

University of Washington

Accepted:

Florida State University (email coming soon regarding possibility assistantships etc)

Still Waiting:

University of Houston

Rutgers

Parsons

I just finished interviews at SAIC for sculpture, and I believe they were interviewing for painting and photo as well. I could be wrong about this. I also heard from UNC Chapel Hill and I got a graduate school wide fellowship for more than a full ride. I can at least be happy with that even if I dont get in anywhere else. Also, I met someone that already got accepted to CCA social practice, so if anyone else interviewed for them as I did then you probably are waitlisted or rejected as I probably am sad.gif

Edited by michaelwebster

Got my first rejection letter yesterday (March 6) from the University of Washington in painting. So sad! Just wanted to let ya'll know to watch out for mail this week. I live in Portland so I'm sure it got to me super fast. Good luck to everyone! Here's my updated list (all in painting/drawing/visual studies where applicable):

Rejected:

Univ. of Washington (3/6)

Interview:

SFAI (3/10)

No word:

SAIC

RISD

Columbia

UCLA

PNCA

Well crap. UW was my top choice. If you didn't get in, there's no way in hell i'm getting in. Oh well.

Congratulations on your fellowship! Did anyone else here receive acceptance to UNC Chapel Hill?

I just finished interviews at SAIC for sculpture, and I believe they were interviewing for painting and photo as well. I could be wrong about this. I also heard from UNC Chapel Hill and I got a graduate school wide fellowship for more than a full ride. I can at least be happy with that even if I dont get in anywhere else. Also, I met someone that already got accepted to CCA social practice, so if anyone else interviewed for them as I did then you probably are waitlisted or rejected as I probably am sad.gif

I just got a REJECTION letter in the mail from University of Chicago.

SAIC=interview

NIU=?

Claremont=?

CSULB=?

Yes, SAIC interviews are March 6,7 for painting. I know someone interviewing for fibers, but was rejected for sculpture 2 weeks later via letter.

I got a call last week from Claremont saying they accepted me. Their waitlist opens up April 15. Have you heard back from CSULB? i want to hear from them!