2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

Hi everyone. I've been watching this thread for awhile. Here's what I have so far.

Accepted:

SAIC (Performance) - post

UIC (Moving Image) - email

Rejected:

Yale (Sculpture) - email directing me to a status update on their website

UCSD - email

Interviews:

Columbia (New Genres) - email

No Word:

UCLA (Interdisciplinary)

USC

CalArts (Film and Video) - I actually did hear from them. They gave me a call asking me to clarify the collaboration on one of the pieces in my portfolio. Very strange phone call that I completely bumbled through.

RISD (Sculpture)

ok finally! an acceptance!

I emailed the assistant at Florida State University to ask when we would receive information about decisions, and she said that I was accepted and the MFA director would be contacting me for further details.

I can finally chill out now that I have at least one acceptance. lol

Thanks - good luck!

I guess that's no Columbia for me then.

Same fate for me, I think.

I am still waiting on one more school (VCU) but am just planning to reapply next year regardless of what their answer is.

Got my 3rd rejection letter from CalArts Graphic Design program:unsure: It's annoying and frustrating!

UCI MFA painting - rejected

New York Academy of Arts - rejected

CalArts - rejected

4 more

Pratt

SVA

Parsons

SFAI

First of all, I would like to say that this forum is great. Thanks to whoever started this post.

I am still waiting to hear back from Columbia University regarding an interview. I applied to their MFA Visual Art program (photography). Since I haven't heard back by now, does that mean that I am not getting an interview?

If it's not meant it's not meant. Thanks!

hey, thought i would add my status to the pool:

accepted:

uchicago (interdisciplinary) -- 1/2 tuition scholarship

pafa (interdisciplinary) -- full tuition scholarship

interviews:

risd (painting) -- in person, 3/23

rejected:

yale (painting) -- email

no word:

ucla (interdisciplinary)

mica (mount royal school)

ucla (interdisciplinary)

university of washington seattle (painting)

pnca (visual studies)

hunter (painting)

tyler (painting)

northwestern (interdisciplinary)

First of all, I would like to say that this forum is great. Thanks to whoever started this post.

I am still waiting to hear back from Columbia University regarding an interview. I applied to their MFA Visual Art program (photography). Since I haven't heard back by now, does that mean that I am not getting an interview?

If it's not meant it's not meant. Thanks!

I wouldn't assume that at all. It seems there is no consistency between departments with confirmations. I assumed I hadn't gotten into a couple schools based on dates from last year rej/accepts, and others who have discussed their status from the same school but another dept. Then columbia's sculpture program emailed for an interview 2 days ago....

Edited by blackblack

@nathancotephoto: Thems are some good odds!!! Woohoo! I bet you are excited. I wish I had those odds. laugh.gif

And on that note. Why do I have this feeling that if I don't get into MICA, I will grow deeply dissatisfied with the schools that did offer me admission. After tasting champagne, I don't if I am as excited about having Dr. Pepper if you dig....hahaha

hey, thought i would add my status to the pool:

accepted:

uchicago (interdisciplinary) -- 1/2 tuition scholarship

pafa (interdisciplinary) -- full tuition scholarship

interviews:

risd (painting) -- in person, 3/23

rejected:

yale (painting) -- email

no word:

ucla (interdisciplinary)

mica (mount royal school)

ucla (interdisciplinary)

university of washington seattle (painting)

pnca (visual studies)

hunter (painting)

tyler (painting)

northwestern (interdisciplinary)

Congrats on RISD Interview. Im curious, did they email you, send a letter or call you ?

Congrats on RISD Interview. Im curious, did they email you, send a letter or call you ?

RISD sent me an email on Feb. 26th. I think there are 10 spots for the painting program? I got the impression that the interviews are in person to ensure that the applicant is willing to travel out there, and that they still in the process of choosing finalists.

In regard to Painting

RISD Interview was an email, and I am on the 24th of March in the morning. I got a letter in the mail restating this yesterday.

I have pretty reliable inside contact at Columbia that says they just finished two days ago from yesterday reviewing everyone. It would mean that you would hear, likely by phone, yesterday, today at the latest. I am guessing in regards to the timing of notification. I was told about the two day ago review from someone on the inside. I am also curious about the UT Austin folks out there, I am wait-listed so its AGONY. Did anyone get in? Please go to Yale instead! :) I have an interview with Hunter on the 20th of March, so you are likely to have heard from them by now about this. I got a phone call followed two days later by a confirmation email.

hope it helps... Anyone got any news about Javits?

I haven't seen anyone on this message board yet say anything either way about UCLA - no need to throw your hopes away on that one yet, Alizarin! I'm so jealous/happy for you about your RISD interview! That's so rad! Congrats! You'll do just fine - just relax and be yourself. Honesty is always the best policy. I'm excited about SFAI - I originally moved from Pennsylvania to Portland about 4 and a half years ago. I'm not sure I could see myself on the east coast again so I'm happy to have SFAI as a possibility. San Fran would be fantastic! Here's to hoping, for both of us!! :)

Thanks Michelle :) SF is a nice city, I love living here. But I'm curious about the east coast too. Good luck to all of us.

I wonder, is anybody here from the west coast interviewing at RISD? Also, did anyone else apply to SAIC printmedia? And have you heard anything??

Got a rejection from Cranbrook today - short and to the point. Oh well. I knew it was a long shot.

Still waiting on:

RISD

UW

LSU

CCA

Alfred