2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

@helenforsdale thanks for the encouragement & you are totally right! i definitely need to focus on the positive. i think its just the weird math of rejection -- each one feels like a lot -- but i guess i just need to get a thick skin. and just thought i should say, i'm not really a recent grad, i finished school back in '05. i mean, i guess that could be recent...

@sophialab just some statistics i know of:

ucsd 262 applied, 21 accpeted (source, email from them)

columbia 1100 applied/ 550 for painting/ 20-something accepted (source, gregory amenoff)

Hi Everybody, I have been following this thread for a long time now. Thanks to everyone for providing such helpful information and congratulations on all of your acceptances!

My list:

Accepted:

SVA Photography Video and Related Media - 3/13

Hunter (Combined Media) - I know some of you have heard from Painting and Sculpture... Have any of you heard from Combined Media? Not sure if they sent out interviews invitations yet...

also wondering about hunter, any word?...and i got in to the same program at sva too!

for all the MICA people, this went out today from the director of Mt. Royal:

Dear all,

I've just been told we are going to try to accept 15 students and not 17 this year in order to try to make a more balanced set of numbers

between the 1st and 2nd years. I am very happy about this--and if this works, we can use two of the studios again as our installation spaces and avoid the problems downstairs.

So wish us luck. Offers will go out soon.

Have a great spring break,

Frances

MICA Graphic Design received 250 applications and admits 12.

RISD GD received 350 applications in total and admits 7 into 2 yr program.

Yale GD 3yr program received 120 applications and admits 6. I don't know about the situation for 2yr program at Yale but I assume it's not far from RISD's stats.

BTW, CCA said in an e-mail that they received a record number of applications this year!

MICA Graphic Design received 250 applications and admits 12.

RISD GD received 350 applications in total and admits 7 into 2 yr program.

Yale GD 3yr program received 120 applications and admits 6. I don't know about the situation for 2yr program at Yale but I assume it's not far from RISD's stats.

BTW, CCA said in an e-mail that they received a record number of applications this year!

Thanks! All these stats are really quite amazing!

Just got my rejection letter from Hunter via email :(

Thanks to this forum, though, I was already pretty aware I was going to be rejected...

Impatiently waiting to hear from MICA Hoffberger

Is there anyone who is accepted by SVA, CalArts or MICA in MFA Graphic design?

Suzie, in terms of SVA and MICA I don't believe decisions have been released yet.

This is what I know:

SVA received +-450 applications, and interviewed around 40 people for 20 available spots, their decisions usually land around April 1st.

MICA received +-250 applications, and interviewed around 20 people for 12 available spots. Their decision letters (including funding) mail out on the 19th of this month (tomorrow), then it's up to USPS and how far away you live.

Also, SVA has a couple of spots open for 3-year programs and I'm sure MICA has something similar to that.

Good Luck!! :)

Update for those of you waiting on Cranbrook 2D MFA:

"Elliott Earls, Designer-in-Residence and Head of the 2D Design Department is planning to turn in his first round of selections over the next week. The Dean of Admissions will be drafting letters then to mail to candidates. Please continue to be patient for a few more weeks. Nothing has gone out so far for the 2D Department."

Just got my rejection letter from Hunter via email :(

Thanks to this forum, though, I was already pretty aware I was going to be rejected...

Impatiently waiting to hear from MICA Hoffberger

didto on the hunter news. happy to finally be getting word though.

Hi everyone,

could you please tell me which program is better?

MFA in painting in Boston University or Massart?

Do you know any stats for these two universities?How many applications they got and how many positions they give?

Good luck!

MICA received +-250 applications, and interviewed around 20 people for 12 available spots. Their decision letters (including funding) mail out on the 19th of this month (tomorrow), then it's up to USPS and how far away you live

All selections have been made at MICA already for all departments. They said they are calling candidates and Rolando is right...Letters will be mailed out on the 19th. I am waiting on aid now! They gave me a ballpark between 30-50% covered. I am happy with that! Let's hope for 50%!

I have a question...I interviewed for MICA summer and was told there were 120 applications, they interviewed about 30 candidates and they chose 10. Better odds...I was accepted,but I don't know if my friend was. Do you think those 30 would be on a waiting list? Do all programs have waiting lists? She said her interview went bad...and I would LOVE her to get in, too.unsure.gif

Edited by littlenova

Last school reported for me today by email...VCU is a no-go.dry.gif If you haven't heard from Photo by now, they did interviews already and made selections.

Here's my final list in order of where I wanted to go:

MICA-Accepted with funding

VCU-Wait listed; most likely rejection for only 6 openings

Maine College of Art-Accepted with full funding

MassArt-Accepted with funding (surprised to be considered for another on-campus program, but can't swing it.)

Art Institute of Boston- Accepted w/ matched funding, but made a mistake applying to this program. Not the place for me...did not research it enough.

George Mason-Verbal acceptance, no aid awarded yet

and MICA it is.

Edited by littlenova

I received a letter from SVA last week that i was rejected.

Rejection from Hunter today via their website.

Acceptance letter from Pratt in the mail today.

i applied for photography.

I went ahead and emailed NYU, this is what they said:

"Please be patient a bit longer -- we expecting the Tisch Admissions Office to begin notifying our applicants of the decisions this week. They should be going out by email shortly."

I'm trying to be zen about the whole thing and weigh all the options carefully. MIT is of course my first pick, but there are a couple factors (the distance, the money - I haven't seen their funding offer yet) that are unfortunately making me hesitate...

Just got an acceptance email from ITP! I'm in shock, on cloud 9, excited...

Hi Ya'll I'm new here. I did not apply to extremely pretigious East coast schools, I went to undergrad at USC so I thought I would focus on the south for an MFA. In case anyone applied to these schools here are my stats:

Univ. Florida- rejected

Univ. Texas, Arlington- accepted

LSU- Waitlisted

Univ. Texas, San Antonio- No word

Anyone have any info from UTA, LSU, or UTSA?

Thanks!

All selections have been made at MICA already for all departments. They said they are calling candidates and Rolando is right...Letters will be mailed out on the 19th. I am waiting on aid now! They gave me a ballpark between 30-50% covered. I am happy with that! Let's hope for 50%!

I have a question...I interviewed for MICA summer and was told there were 120 applications, they interviewed about 30 candidates and they chose 10. Better odds...I was accepted,but I don't know if my friend was. Do you think those 30 would be on a waiting list? Do all programs have waiting lists? She said her interview went bad...and I would LOVE her to get in, too.unsure.gif

Congrats Littlenova! MICA is an awesome school! :) When did they call you?

Hey Rolando! Thanks...They called me Feb 21st for an interview. Then, last week they invited me to campus and verbally accepted me on my birthday ---March 11. I got to choose between full-time photo or the summer interdisciplinary program (I applied to both)...and I chose summer. They have some new faculty from Bard and Columbia that are working in film and sound, so I am STOKED.

Everything happens for a reason. Right?

Edited by littlenova

New to the group - here's my list:

SAIC - Sculpture: rejected 2/8

UT Austin: rejected 2/16

Pending:

Alfred

CCA

Cranbrook

LSU

RISD

SAIC - Ceramics

U Washington

Anyone else out there in ceramics?

Have you heard anything from LSU?

Hey Rolando! Thanks...They called me Feb 21st for an interview. Then, last week they invited me to campus and verbally accepted me on my birthday ---March 11. I got to choose between full-time photo or the summer interdisciplinary program (I applied to both)...and I chose summer. They have some new faculty from Bard and Columbia that are working in film and sound, so I am STOKED.

Everything happens for a reason. Right?

It does! MICA is actually my first choice for Graphic Design so, hopefully I'll see you there. :) I interviewed a couple of weeks ago and now I'm waiting to hear back from them.

So, Hopefully by mid-next week I'll be in the know.