2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

I'm thinking the counter offer you make should probably be aid offered from a similarly ranked or esteemed institution. I can't see myself asking MICA for a full ride, because Maine College of Art offered it to me. But, if VCU had offered something hefty...I might have had more leverage. I probably would have said something like...

I am really having a hard time deciding between two programs...Does your institution match offers, because unfortunately my decision may come down to funding. I was offered X...

I'm curious to hear what other people have to say about this, too. I may find myself in a similar position.

Edited by littlenova

Congrats on PRATT. Did they send you a letter or email you? Didi you interview?

thanks, pretty excited about the opportunity. letter in the mail, no interview. i was away from my place for a week and it was in my mail box when i got back.

I am so nervous. I am #1 on the waiting list at UMich.... I don't know if I will get any sleep until April 15th!

How common is it for anybody to reject a spot at an MFA program that offers a full ride?

I'm right there with you! Chewing my fingers off waiting for the University of Tennessee. How many spaces does your program have? UT has two, both fully funded, and an agonizing waitlist of two.

Have you tried calling your department at UMich? I had an optimistic conversation with the department head at UT - he said it's looking promising, but of course nothing is guaranteed until April 15th. (!!!)

Is Michigan your first choice?

Best of luck in these long 3 weeks!

Has anyone besides grad_wannabe heard from USC? I think its weird no one else has heard anything, considering that they supposedly sent letters out last week

no, but my friend got in. they've already interviewed and offered invitations to enroll. i've already crossed it off my list...sorry.

Ahhh! Just got into SVA and was notified that I'm an alternate at MICA!

:) What a morning.

This brings me to:

Accepted:

SVA

CalArts

CCA

Alternate:

MICA

Pending:

Cranbrook - interview

RISD

Edited by allavita

I'm right there with you! Chewing my fingers off waiting for the University of Tennessee. How many spaces does your program have? UT has two, both fully funded, and an agonizing waitlist of two.

Have you tried calling your department at UMich? I had an optimistic conversation with the department head at UT - he said it's looking promising, but of course nothing is guaranteed until April 15th. (!!!)

Is Michigan your first choice?

Best of luck in these long 3 weeks!

They pick the top 10, and I am #11. The assistant said that every year at least somebody drops their spot, and unless there is an anomaly this year I should be okay. I just hope there isn't a possibility of me getting pushed back from #1 on the waiting list...

Yes, Michigan is really the only school that I feel is absolutely perfect for me!

Edited by Everything_Bagel

This brings me to:

Accepted:

SVA

CalArts

CCA

Alternate:

MICA

Pending:

Cranbrook - interview

RISD

No way!!

congratulations!! :) I'm waiting to hear from them,

were they both notices through the mail?

No way!!

congratulations!! :) I'm waiting to hear from them,

were they both notices through the mail?

Thanks! I'm pretty excited. It's great to finally receive responses, no matter the answer. Seems like all of the other disciplines announced decisions much faster than GD.

Good luck to you, too! Hopefully your wait won't last much longer. Both came in the mail... I'm in the midwest, so I'm not sure how that factors into wait periods.

Thanks! I'm pretty excited. It's great to finally receive responses, no matter the answer. Seems like all of the other disciplines announced decisions much faster than GD.

Good luck to you, too! Hopefully your wait won't last much longer. Both came in the mail... I'm in the midwest, so I'm not sure how that factors into wait periods.

awesome! yeah, GD is one that they receive the most applications to because of the programs' fame (MICA and SVA specifically with Ellen Lupton and Steven Heller as chairs), so I'm sure that's why they take their time in announcing decisions. And, I'm in Texas, so I'm sure it'll be another day or two before I hear anything.

Thanks! and Congratulations again! :)

Anyone heard from RISD Sculpture? I was told by the admissions office that they would be sending final decisions by the end of the month, but if someone's had an interview, I can at least assume a rejection and make some decisions. Finally got a rejection from CalArts yesterday as well.

Accepted:

SAIC Film, Video, & New Media

SAIC Performance

UIC Moving Image

Interview:

Columbia New Genres

Rejected:

Yale Sculpture

UCLA Interdisciplinary

UCSD

CalArts Film & Video

Assumed rejection:

USC

Not a word:

RISD Sculpture

Dear Mr. Cote:

Welcome to the School of Design at the University of Pennsylvania! It is my pleasure to confirm that you have been admitted to our 2 year Master of Fine Arts program, beginning in September 2010.

Online letters have been sent for Photo.

That puts my list at:

Accepted: Penn and U of Nevada Las Vegas

Rej: WashU

On 3/22/2010 at 12:23 PM, nathancotephoto said:

Dear Mr. Cote:

Welcome to the School of Design at the University of Pennsylvania! It is my pleasure to confirm that you have been admitted to our 2 year Master of Fine Arts program, beginning in September 2010.

Online letters have been sent for Photo.

That puts my list at:

Accepted: Penn and U of Nevada Las Vegas

Rej: WashU

good for you. me too.

now i'm at:

accepted:

cca

penndesign

rejected:

usc

ucsd

cornell

still waiting:

saic (interview)

yale (interview)

risd (interview)

calarts

good luck everybody.

Hey! I was also just notified that I'm an alternate for MICA, I'm a little bummed because it's my top choice. I'm thinking about calling and asking what number I am on the waitlist...

Alternate

MICA

Rejected

Yale

Pending

SVA

Pratt

RISD

This brings me to:

Accepted:

SVA

CalArts

CCA

Alternate:

MICA

Pending:

Cranbrook - interview

RISD

How have folks been hearing from MICA Hoffberger? also, any word from Cranbrook Painting? The anticipation is killing me! My heart feels like it might burst...

Interviewed:

MICA Hoffberger

Cranbrook

Accepted:

PAFA w/$

NYAA w/$

Montclair State, awaiting award (told I will be offered $)

Rejected:

UT Austin

Hey! I was also just notified that I'm an alternate for MICA, I'm a little bummed because it's my top choice. I'm thinking about calling and asking what number I am on the waitlist...

I don't see why it would hurt to call. Shows them that you're really interested and gives you an exact idea of where things stand. Good luck to you!!