2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

heard columbia was interviewing this week or next. so if you hadn't heard a word don't hold your breath. You figure once they made their selections to interview they could at least do the courtesy of letting the rest of know.

Don't give up! I went through the same thought process when I heard that two of my schools were interviewing and I hadn't been contacted... Nevertheless, I was just offered an outright position at one and an alternate position at the other. Not all schools interview every potential candidate, so you may still be in the running. Good luck!

Did you check the Davis website? I got rejected this morning. I still haven't heard from University of Washington, I'm going crazy..

The University of Washington Rejection came early last week and was in an envelope that i sent them with my own handwriting. If you get something else then i would bet that you got in!

I logged in to the UC Davis website where I did all my application and it didn't have any answers. Maybe I should call?

Did you check the Davis website? I got rejected this morning. I still haven't heard from University of Washington, I'm going crazy..

Turns out UC-Davis didn't receive any of my materials! I really don't know how this happened because I fed-exed it. I'm upset but also helps now that I don't have to make the choice between california and NY.

Turns out UC-Davis didn't receive any of my materials! I really don't know how this happened because I fed-exed it. I'm upset but also helps now that I don't have to make the choice between california and NY.

Wow thats too bad. You're right though, it makes your decision easy. UW is my first choice and of course its the only school that I haven't heard from. Hopefully the fact that I haven't gotten anything yet is a good sign?? We'll see I guess

Good luck with everything!

updated list

accepted:

CCA

Tyler

UCSD (w/$)

CalArts

interivew:

Yale decided to turn this down, long/boring story

Columbia (this week)

rejected:

USC

UCLA

UCDavis (they added, ''portfolio was not competitive")

I just got a call from RISD digital media to do a phone interview tomorrow!!!! I was not expecting this at all! I am flipping out right now.

Wow, congrats Sophia! That's a late notice.

Congrats to everyone getting good news.

I wish I had good news to share too. Oh well, there's still next year. I'm in Providence right now for an interview at RISD tomorrow (wish it would stop raining). I'm sooo nervous! This is my last shot (I got rejected to all the other schools I applied to, and I'm not holding out my breath for Columbia). Good luck everyone!

I wish I had good news to share too. Oh well, there's still next year. I'm in Providence right now for an interview at RISD tomorrow (wish it would stop raining). I'm sooo nervous! This is my last shot (I got rejected to all the other schools I applied to, and I'm not holding out my breath for Columbia). Good luck everyone!

I know! It's quite late! I thought they were supposed to be notifying people by tomorrow on their final decisions. I almost had a heart attack when I saw the 401 area code on my phone. :P

Good luck with your interview tomorrow! You should go to Casserta's pizza, Coffee Exchange, or Meeting Street cafe while you are there. My 3 favorite places in providence!

Yeah - know the feeling, but hey it's not nearly over yet!

You have an excellent opportunity tomorrow. Don't forget that the act of even getting the interview is a compliment to your practice. I wish you the best of luck and don't worry about the rain; rain makes the mood more intimate and people less likely to run about on errands, so you might have the ear of the board more easily.

@Kewpies: I'm glad you posted your results, because it speaks to how nuts this process can be. How some top tier programs can want you and others think maybe your work "isn't competitive." I was bummed about my interview going south at VCU, but then I remembered 2 programs at MICA wanted me. Sometimes they just don't get it. Their loss!!! That's all I wanted to say to some of the people that had a bad run this time around. Keep going. wink.gif

Good luck on that interview Alizarin....

Now I'm totally bummed to find out that people applying to MICA for Graphic Design have been getting interviews. I haven't heard anything from them and that was my first choice. :(

Minor good news: I am an alternate for MICA. So there is still a chance. I actually only applied to MICA. May have been a stupid move on my part, but who knows, it might work out!

Yeah - know the feeling, but hey it's not nearly over yet!

You have an excellent opportunity tomorrow. Don't forget that the act of even getting the interview is a compliment to your practice. I wish you the best of luck and don't worry about the rain; rain makes the mood more intimate and people less likely to run about on errands, so you might have the ear of the board more easily.

Thank you for your words of encouragement :) I think it's supposed to rain less tomorrow. But you're right, I'll just see what happens..

@Sophia, thanks for the restaurant tips. I was just thinking of what to get for dinner. I've only been here once (went to an info session at RISD last November) and so I'm not really familiar with Providence. I can't believe I'm here..

@Littlenova, thanks! Hope it works out..*crossing fingers*

Edited by alizarin

I received a one line letter saying I was waitlisted, and would be notified of the results in mid - May.

Cool thanks. i just received my rejection letter from Pratt..and I laughed out loud. It read "It is with regret that we are unable to act favorably upon your application for admission to Pratt. In making our decision, we weighed carefully all of the application materials which you submitted to us. In comparison with other applicants we have had this year, your record is not quite strong enough to be given favorable consideration. We sincerely hope that you will be successful in making alternate plans to continue your education."

Maybe more info than you care to know but it makes me laugh and I felt I needed to share it. Good luck to you! I wish you the best!

I found out today I got a scholarship to CCA, which makes me feel a lot better about the cost. I went on a tour there today, and I really liked it! I am still waiting for other responses, but I think that is where I am going to go!

Congrats on your scholarship! Did you get a letter in the mail or did they call or email you? Im still waiting on funding and biting my nails off. I really need something in order to feel a little less stressed about all the other money I would be spending in SF

I went to the financial aid office and asked, but they told me that the packet was already mailed out. We should be getting them any day now. I thought the studios were really nice! They all seemed to have lots of light, and the seemed big to me (but I haven't seen a lot of schools yet). They don't have doors but rather curtains, which someone mentioned. I didn't get a chance to get any good photos today. The tour group I was with was huge. I will try to get some good pictures on the grad open studios day on the 4th.

I got a good feeling from everything I saw today, and I really liked the school overall.

Thats good to hear, good vibes are always..well good. Lots of light is a def plus too. I will be visiting CCA on the 4th

lol, i'm glad others are enjoying the outcomes! honestly i've been really surprised by it all-- it makes me wish i could take a peek into those admissions meetings. i'd love to hear how they talk about people's work!

Minor good news: I am an alternate for MICA. So there is still a chance. I actually only applied to MICA. May have been a stupid move on my part, but who knows, it might work out!

I only applied to UMich, but it was really the only school I really really wanted to go to. My portfolio is so diverse when it comes to the media I work with, but is drawn together by my concepts. This means that most schools wouldn't work well for me. I know it was dumb, and that I could have found at least a few other programs that I could have made work for me, but I just wanted to put allllll my effort into UMich. Luckily I am 1st on the wait-list and they say that every year at least 1 person from the wait list gets in. I just have to wait patiently, but the fact that I didn't apply anywhere else makes this SO much more stressful.

I wish you the best!!!!!

Good luck Audiopants! I know some really good schools for Graphic Design MFA are still taking applications. SCAD and Parsons are among those. Just in case you were interested. :)

Edited by Rolando