2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

just got waitlisted for SVA (MFA painting), I got Into Parsons but SVA is my top choice, does anyone know how the process works?? I have to let Parsons know by April 15th, how long do you think I should wait to hear back from SVA?? I was told it is a pretty short waitlist but I don't wanna blow off Parsons on a hope that people will turn down their acceptance. Anyone have a similar situation??

You should ask for an extension on your letter of intent for parsons. Most schools will grant you a bit more time if you explain yourself and your need. I got into SVA (I'm new genres/installation). Not sure if I am going to go because I got into my first choice calarts. I thought SVA was just fine art and not focused on emphasis, if thats the case then my spot would open up...do you know what number on the waiting list?

@MHDG Wow, up to 80 people are admitted to the Pratt MS Comm D program? From what I'm gathering from the Pratt admissions facebook page, the email system they use is a little buggy to say the least. So I wouldn't worry if you haven't recieved the email.

Their snail mailing system might be messed up too. A few weeks after I sent in my application and portfolio, I got three of the exact same letters in the mail.

Good to know about the email system at Pratt. I only applied to 2 programs because I have to stay in NYC and already got rejected from one. I've really got my fingers and toes crossed for Pratt. I want to call their admissions office, but don't want to seem too pushy.

just got waitlisted for SVA (MFA painting), I got Into Parsons but SVA is my top choice, does anyone know how the process works?? I have to let Parsons know by April 15th, how long do you think I should wait to hear back from SVA?? I was told it is a pretty short waitlist but I don't wanna blow off Parsons on a hope that people will turn down their acceptance. Anyone have a similar situation??

What would you say makes you prefer SVA? I'm trying to figure out the differences between sva vs parsons. I think both of them are great schools, I would like to hear opinions from you guys.

Stupid question: Anybody knows how are the studios in Parsons and in SVA? I think that the studios (in both school) don't have doors! Anybody know that??

Thanks! :)

Edited by seachange

What would you say makes you prefer SVA? I'm trying to figure out the differences between sva vs parsons. I think both of them are great schools, I would like to hear opinions from you guys.

Stupid question: Anybody knows how are the studios in Parsons and in SVA? I think that the studios (in both school) don't have doors! Anybody know that??

Thanks! :)

The studios at SVA are on the smaller side and open. It's set up cubicle-style in a big room. Some people have built doors, but most are without.

The studios at SVA are on the smaller side and open. It's set up cubicle-style in a big room. Some people have built doors, but most are without.

What do you mean that are on the smaller side?

My worry was that students can't put a curtain or something like that to make the studios a little more intimate (both at parsons and at sva)

thanks!:)

What do you mean that are on the smaller side?

My worry was that students can't put a curtain or something like that to make the studios a little more intimate (both at parsons and at sva)

thanks!:)

hmm... okay this is my memory from visiting last fall. They varied a bit in size and shape but I'd say around 11x12 ft in space... Most were rectangular. My studio in my house is about 15x11 ft and I remember thinking that the majority were smaller than my space now, and found that disappointing. But this is a guess... wasn't walking around with a tape measure. lol. I think you can put up curtains/build walls to make the space more intimate, but they do encourage an open studio atmosphere, which is why only a few had doors.

Anyone recieved an aid letter from CCA yet?

Nope. Still nothing. I wonder if it has something to do with my FAFSA form. I was part of a small percentage of people that filled out the online form and there was some sort of glitch so I filled out 2009-2010 instead of 2010-2011

Is there anyone who got an acceptance letter or e-mail from SVA MFA GD?

Yeah, I got and acceptance letter around mid last week. I know a couple more people here have posted the same thing.

But don't worry, the more they make you wait the more chances you got of getting in. :)

Good to know about the email system at Pratt. I only applied to 2 programs because I have to stay in NYC and already got rejected from one. I've really got my fingers and toes crossed for Pratt. I want to call their admissions office, but don't want to seem too pushy.

The receptionist at the Pratt Comm D MS program just told me that decisions might not be sent out until mid to LATE april!!!

Awesome man!! Yeah, RISD and YALE are incredible programs. If you go to RISD, and I go to MICA, we should exchange emails and work on something together sometime! I mean, you're from Taipei right? And I bet you're crazy talented. I'm an international student too (from Mexico). I think we could make some awesome multicultural stuff! :)

That's sounds cool! Does your work reflect your cultural background often? Mine seldom, but I definitely think that'll be one interesting path to venture.

I just finished my longest interview ever with Yale. Very intense. Lots of conceptual questions. But finally I'm through with all schools. Phew~~

The receptionist at the Pratt Comm D MS program just told me that decisions might not be sent out until mid to LATE april!!!

What?? That is just nuts. :( I wonder why that is. They couldn't have gotten that many more applications from last year. Did she say what it was was that was taking so long?

What?? That is just nuts. :( I wonder why that is. They couldn't have gotten that many more applications from last year. Did she say what it was was that was taking so long?

She was just a receptionist, so she could just be wrong. She said it was because of the amount of apps they received this year.

You would think Pratt would know that other schools are asking for deposits for incoming grad students in a little over a week.

You should call. Maybe we'll get another (more accurate) answer.

The number to their office is 212.647.7573

She was just a receptionist, so she could just be wrong. She said it was because of the amount of apps they received this year.

You would think Pratt would know that other schools are asking for deposits for incoming grad students in a little over a week.

You should call. Maybe we'll get another (more accurate) answer.

The number to their office is 212.647.7573

Yes, I will also try calling. I had emailed someone in their department a few weeks ago and was told that no decision would be communicated before April 1, due to the volume of applications, whereas in years' past, decisions were often send out during the 3rd and last week of March. I will keep you posted on what I learn.

I agree and had a similar experience. The faculty interview was an intense, productive and enjoyable conversation about the work and my process. I am sure you spoke with the same students and I agree that it was harsh. From what I hear they don't have as much say as the faculty in the final review next week, but they are still part of the admissions process.

It is interesting because each day there is a different faculty pair and different student pair...so I am sure everyone will have a different experience.

Best of luck!

My interview was similar. The faculty interview was intense but I got through it. The student interview on the other hand was so difficlut I had completly forgotten about it and had started to decompress from the faculty one. I made an absoulute fool of myself there was alot of laughter but I have a feeling I did not make a great impression. But what can you do I cried my eyes out once i left the school leaving my Slade interview, I thougt I had done so badly... they really grilled me. But I actully got accepted. So WHO KNOWS? This has been such a surreal couple months. Hope we all get into Yale!

Wow, from what I've read about Yale interviews, it sounds like many of the current MFA student interviewers are sooo full of themselves. Don't worry, it should be the faculty interview that really matters. The students probably think the have a huge say on who gets in but why should your future rest on these MFA students' opinions?

Anyone get funding info from CalArts yet?

Got a phone call from a faculty member yesterday to ask me if I had any questions or concerns...really just wanted to know if I was going there or not because there is a long waitlist apparently and the waitlisters are calling and bugging them. I said that I was about 99% sure that I was going to calarts but I didn't want to jump the gun without seeing the financial package first. She totally understood and said they should be coming in the next couple of days. she mentioned the letters should be dated on the 1st of april. So I think we shall see the financial packages coming soon. what is your first choice, If you don't mind me asking?

Yes, I will also try calling. I had emailed someone in their department a few weeks ago and was told that no decision would be communicated before April 1, due to the volume of applications, whereas in years' past, decisions were often send out during the 3rd and last week of March. I will keep you posted on what I learn.

I Just spoke with the receptionist of the ComD dept. I was told that the first batch of decisions would go out in 1-2 weeks, by mid-April. It seems that my application is still stuck at the admissions office and is still being processed. It's complete (i.e. nothing is missing) but it hasn't even been sent over to the ComD committee. So it looks like I won't be someone who hears back by mid-April and will have to wait even longer!

I was also told that they were inundated with applications and it is taking them a long time to go through everything. [sigh]

I Just spoke with the receptionist of the ComD dept. I was told that the first batch of decisions would go out in 1-2 weeks, by mid-April. It seems that my application is still stuck at the admissions office and is still being processed. It's complete (i.e. nothing is missing) but it hasn't even been sent over to the ComD committee. So it looks like I won't be someone who hears back by mid-April and will have to wait even longer!

I was also told that they were inundated with applications and it is taking them a long time to go through everything. [sigh]

I'm surpised someone was asked for a confirmation before their aid package was in hand.