2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

here's a heads up to everyone waiting on risd-

there was a huge flood in rhode island and all the universities were closed today and yesterday.

Officially, they are set to reopen Friday...

hey. i haven't heard back yet either (painting, interview).

i don't think the painting department bothers too much with a wait-list. everybody who's accepted, goes, basically. when i was there i asked about that stuff and they said that one person has declined their offer in the past two years--deciding on columbia instead.

Are you serious! I mean I know it's Yale, but only one person in the last two years. What are your thoughts about turning down Yale for RISD?

has anyone gotten their Calarts financial package yet???

I got an email yesterday also with a link to an online financial package report. It went to a somewhat random email address of mine, so check ALL your inboxes.

I am so glad I found this forum! It has been very encouraging to have such a great support group :) Congratulations to all that have been accepted to the programs.

This was my first year applying, applied to 4 pretty competitive programs, got rejected from 3 and still waiting to hear back from Columbia which by the sound of it, does not look too promising. I called them today and they said that visual arts candidates should expect a letter/ packet by mid April the latest. Good luck to all those still waiting and for us who didn't get in, everything happens for a reason, lets not get discouraged and try again next year!

Are you serious! I mean I know it's Yale, but only one person in the last two years. What are your thoughts about turning down Yale for RISD?

I think that's only true for painting and maybe sculpture? For graphic design, I've known two people who had RISD as their first choice, got into both Yale and RISD, and went to RISD. Their program is ranked #1, whatever that means....

Phone call this morning from RISD. Waitlisted! Whoever got into yale and risd just go to yale!

I'm waitlisted too :( They didn't even call me. I'm not sure if they called my home phone (I've been out of town for a few days). I had to call to find out. Oh well, I guess more waiting then. I've already made a new school list for next year.

I'm waitlisted too :( They didn't even call me. I'm not sure if they called my home phone (I've been out of town for a few days). I had to call to find out. Oh well, I guess more waiting then. I've already made a new school list for next year.

Did everyone who got into RISD get a phone call today? Is it possible to check our admission status some other way (online or something?) since their offices are now closed for the weekend? If I didn't get a phone call should I assume I didn't get in?

First off I think they do waitlist but that its hard to get off of (most applicants accept Yale). I applied for painting and have heard nothing - the portal doesn't have any news either. Graphic design did interviews a week before painting and sculpture was the week after painting. Because of this I can see how we might all find out at different times.

As for Yale painting - they did tell me two weeks and no portal update as of yet.

Has anyone been accepted for painting? What it seems to me is that nothing has been sent out. Don't fret - I think we still all have a chance.

Good luck to everyone.

I haven't heard back from Yale either. Good luck everybody!

Hi Guys, I just got an email from Yale - Your application status has been updated. Please visit the application status webpage and enter your login information to view this update.

I interviewed for sculpture March 26th and was accepted April 2nd. I am happy with the news because I enjoyed the school very much when i visited.

I am so glad I found this forum! It has been very encouraging to have such a great support group :) Congratulations to all that have been accepted to the programs.

This was my first year applying, applied to 4 pretty competitive programs, got rejected from 3 and still waiting to hear back from Columbia which by the sound of it, does not look too promising. I called them today and they said that visual arts candidates should expect a letter/ packet by mid April the latest. Good luck to all those still waiting and for us who didn't get in, everything happens for a reason, lets not get discouraged and try again next year!

I had an interview on Thursday last week and I did not hear anything yet. Its sucks I thought my interview went well. do you know any thing regarding wait list?

Congrats to all the people getting into RISD and Yale! That's so amazing!

I have a question for you guys...I had an extremely unpleasant time with one school I applied to. I regret paying the fees and putting in the effort to send my application there, and I really want to send them an email saying something about it because I really don't think it's right. I don't want to burn any bridges with people I might want to work with someday, but they were just really awful. Any advice?

hi, anyone applied to SAIC film video and new media major? I have found some one has got the acceptance letter last week by email from the department already. But I haven't heard anything yet. Is it a bad sign of rejection? It's so strange that before the admission staff said the decision will only be send out by snail mail, but seems some people are notified by email actually...

so got an email from yale this evening...

REJECTED!

oh, well. besides the fact that i wasted a good chunk of money on the interview, i'm not as disappointed as i thought i'd be. i must admit though, it's pretty lame of them not to even offer a nice reception for us since we have to put so much time, effort, and money to get over there and interview in the first place. but i AM super stoked to be going to UNC this fall!!

anyways, good luck to everyone else who applied to painting!! hopefully, it works out for the better for you all :)

Did everyone who got into RISD get a phone call today? Is it possible to check our admission status some other way (online or something?) since their offices are now closed for the weekend? If I didn't get a phone call should I assume I didn't get in?

Friday--snail letter from RISD, wait-listed.

hi

congrats to everyone!

I'm trying to figure out the differences between sva vs parsons (mfa fine arts). I think both of them are great schools, I would like to hear opinions from you guys.

I posted earlier but didn't get a reply :(

thanks!:)

Found my snail mail letter from RISD. Wait-listed as well. Many of us on this forum seem to be wait-listed; I wonder how long that list is?

I'm excited to start at VCU painting/printmaking in the fall.

I know it's not grad school, but did anyone else apply to Skowhegan this year? Just curious. Think we're supposed to get admissions decisions this week.

Congrats to all the people getting into RISD and Yale! That's so amazing!

I have a question for you guys...I had an extremely unpleasant time with one school I applied to. I regret paying the fees and putting in the effort to send my application there, and I really want to send them an email saying something about it because I really don't think it's right. I don't want to burn any bridges with people I might want to work with someday, but they were just really awful. Any advice?

Hmm.. I guess it depends on what you mean by "I had an extremely unpleasant time." Did they drop the ball on processing your application? Were they mean to you during a visit/interview? Was the problem with one administrator or faculty member or the school in general?

I would think a school would want to know about administrative mistakes and errors, and that would be a straightforward complaint. A specific complaint against a rude faculty member would be another story, and could burn bridges. Whatever it is, maybe wait a couple of weeks to mull it over. Can't hurt.

I felt kind of pissed off at one school's application process and have thought about saying something.. It's hard to feel like you wasted money and effort.