2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

MICA asked me to be in their Post-baccalaureate Certificate program but didn't offer me admission to Hoffberger--is this anything special (perhaps a better chance for next year?) or is it a cash-cow? any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

General question for all Visual Arts MFA hopefuls:

Anyone know about the Post Baccalaureate certificate programs? Anyone been encouraged to apply for this "in between" year, in lieu of immediate acceptance?

I have a feeling SAIC has done that to me. I logged back into SlideRoom for SAIC, and there was a new "pending submission" folder, entitled "Post Bac" admission.

Ugh. So confused!

This is something independant from this thread but since so many people are on tis one I thought it might be a good place to put out my thoughts. I was looking at Yale' faculty mostly in the photo dept and realized that more than 95% faculty are pass outs of Yale. Was completly taken aback. Is this a condition they have when involving faculty in the program...to my mind it seems such a closed way and it can only limit perspectives. What about diversity? Also, there are hardly any women on the faculty...I recognize that Yale is probably the most well known program and has along history but is this translating to the program being conventional. These thoughts come to my mind as I think of re applying and having strong second thoughts on it...Would love to hear what the rest of us think about this.

I like the questions you raised, rama. I don't know how to answer them because I'm not familiar with Yale but I do know that I would like to have more than 8 people in my MFA class. More intellectual diversity, more push and pull. More tensions to acknowledge and discuss as artists.

I was looking at Yale' faculty mostly in the photo dept and realized that more than 95% faculty are pass outs of Yale. Was completly taken aback. Is this a condition they have when involving faculty in the program...to my mind it seems such a closed way and it can only limit perspectives. What about diversity? Also, there are hardly any women on the faculty...I recognize that Yale is probably the most well known program and has along history but is this translating to the program being conventional. These thoughts come to my mind as I think of re applying and having strong second thoughts on it...Would love to hear what the rest of us think about this.

I noticed this too when I got the school bulletin, and it definitely raised a red flag for me. The first thing that came to mind was "If Yale is #1, then nobody is more qualified to teach there than their own graduates." (Right?!) The other thing this indicates is a strong boys club mentality that leads to snottiness and a general dismissive attitude toward any other person or idea that doesn't originate there. To me, that is not a healthy, productive working environment. FWIW, this is all my own speculation, so I don't know if it's actually true.

<br />I noticed this too when I got the school bulletin, and it definitely raised a red flag for me. The first thing that came to mind was &quot;If Yale is #1, then nobody is more qualified to teach there than their own graduates.&quot; (Right?!) The other thing this indicates is a strong boys club mentality that leads to snottiness and a general dismissive attitude toward any other person or idea that doesn't originate there. To me, that is not a healthy, productive working environment. FWIW, this is all my own speculation, so I don't know if it's actually true.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I think that falls under law of descending prestige, meaning that you'll generally teach at a school with less prestige than the one that granted your highest degree. Since Yale is considered top, I guess that only leaves Yale grads as teachers.

I think that falls under law of descending prestige, meaning that you'll generally teach at a school with less prestige than the one that granted your highest degree. Since Yale is considered top, I guess that only leaves Yale grads as teachers.

I tend to agree with this. They are not just the top in my opinion...They are far above #2. The quality of work is just legendary. Why wouldn't their own grads cultivate that and try to build that program? It's pretty noble since they could probably make more money showing or giving guest lectures.

As far is diversity is concerned, you might have touched on something. I'd like to see more minorities with tenured positions as well. There are some amazing female photographers on full-time staff at Yale, though. I think it is only a matter of time... I do know some of my favorite women in photography have hailed from Yale: Angela Strassheim (delish), Ana Gaskell...rolleyes.gif I need to stop. I am starting to feel like a groupie.

p.s.

What I kind of loved about MICA summer over MICA full-time Photo was that most of my advisors were women and they were minorities. I felt like they had a kinship to my work. When I worked with Rineke Dijkstra, I once had a conversation about how differently women see things. So, yeah...I can dig what you are saying about trying to avoid a boy's club and cultivating new points of view.

Edited by littlenova

I tend to agree with this. They are not just the top in my opinion...They are far above #2. The quality of work is just legendary. Why wouldn't their own grads cultivate that and try to build that program? It's pretty noble since they could probably make more money showing or giving guest lectures.

As far is diversity is concerned, you might have touched on something. I'd like to see more minorities with tenured positions as well. There are some amazing female photographers on full-time staff at Yale, though. I think it is only a matter of time... I do know some of my favorite women in photography have hailed from Yale: Angela Strassheim (delish), Ana Gaskell...rolleyes.gif I need to stop. I am starting to feel like a groupie.

p.s.

What I kind of loved about MICA summer over MICA full-time Photo was that most of my advisors were women and they were minorities. I felt like they had a kinship to my work. When I worked with Rineke Dijkstra, I once had a conversation about how differently women see things. So, yeah...I can dig what you are saying about trying to avoid a boy's club and cultivating new points of view.

Well I think that is one way of looking at it. Althought I do think there are lot of photographers out there who are sucessful in which ever way one might want to define it some of whom have not even studied photography leave alone Yale and others who come out various schools. I do think Yale instills a sense of commitment to the medium which to my mind is the basic ingredient for being an artist and a sucessful one at that. But good artists have come out in spurts from Yale as from other institutions. We also need to keep in mind the opportunities one gets once you have the name of Yale with you as opposed to not. But having said that, there are very many artists/ photographs who have grduated from other schools have given a new voice to the medium of photography...and they are very good teachers too. I am just wondering if being a Yale alumni is a prerequiste for being on the faculty. It does tell of the atitude of a school...

I am accepted by SVA, CalArts and MICA's MFA Graphic Design.

What do you think which college is better to choose for MFA GD?

I can only offer a very strong "no" for SVA. I'm unsure of the other programs.

Congrats on your acceptances, though!

MICA asked me to be in their Post-baccalaureate Certificate program but didn't offer me admission to Hoffberger--is this anything special (perhaps a better chance for next year?) or is it a cash-cow? any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Take a look at my reply for more on PostBacc programs. ;)

I am accepted by SVA, CalArts and MICA's MFA Graphic Design.

What do you think which college is better to choose for MFA GD?

Definitely CalArts! I just finished talking with a Calarts student and had two chats with Lorraine Wild (I love her!!! She's a Yale graduate herself and one of the few designers that also write and actively involved with design practice and education). I get a VERY good impression for the faculty and the program overall. Lorraine also offers a list of visiting designers for my notes. I am just DAZZLED by that gorgeous list! They share with RISD and Yale many of designers on that list. And student along with the faculty worked out that list of visiting designers so you can rest assured that you can have a chance to invite the designers you admire. MICA is also an amazing program. Ellen and Jennifer is doing a lot to make sure that the students is provided with the best resources. But to me CalArts is the closest to where I want to study design in the first place. In my humble opinion, they allow more room for experimentation and exploration compared to the other 2 programs you mentioned here (I may be wrong). I don't know much about SVA so I'd better not make any comments.

Congrats on your acceptances! Give CalArts a careful thought. If you have more questions about any one of the programs, I think the faculties will be more than pleased to connect you with their current student like what Lorraine Wild did for me.

@savantarde / I'm kind of unsure if I should share this info with you but if you're going to SAIC, I should probably let you know this just for your own notes. Lorraine Wild told me she didn't think it's a good program, they had some applicants from SAIC's post-bac program in the past few years and she said the faculty at CalArts was under impressed with their work. A post-bac program is supposed to prep students for MFA applications and if what she said is true, there may be something wrong with SAIC's program. You can also notice that they have minimal connections, shares minimal resources with other good programs like MICA, Yale, RISD and CalArts, and graphic design community isn't a big one to be honest.

Edited by Jestem

I think I will take my chances, Jestem.

A big part of my decision is the location. I want to be in Chicago, because I want to be situated in a place that--geographically--isn't swayed by the aesthetics or politics of either coast. I am very appreciative of the benefits that lie outside of the classroom, and inside the city.

Also, I realize that SAIC's VisCom MFA is still a burgeoning program (I'm pretty sure it's "younger" in years, comparatively speaking).

Another draw for me, is that SAIC encourages conceptual thought and practice--especially in this department. So, whether or not the program is strong or weak, relies heavily upon a person's understanding of what is SAIC's motive/intent in teaching, within the realm of graduate study.

Ok, So I am almost done hearing back from all of my schools...still waiting on UCI. I called them and they said that the decision should be made by the 15th. Is there anyone that was actually accepted into the MFA art program? I know there were a few rejections BUT I am wondering now that I am on an unofficial waiting list (just like last year, they are SO incredibly unprofessional!) Also, I never interviewed with Columbia but I know some people have gotten in recently...have people been rejected because I haven't heard anything??? annoying.

also: what are people's thoughts on SVA vs Calarts for MFA Art.

Hi everybody, Im in VT at the VSC (its amazing! so glad I came) it feels like its been so long, missed y'all!

So I got into Cranbrook painting!!! Ahhhh!! Am flying out on Monday, have to decide quick. This is great but makin life complicated (it would be easier if the choice were made for me, not that I really want it to be). In the midst of what can only be described as a bidding war tween NYAA and PAFA, while MSU is giving me all it can and MICA still in the wings.

What should I dooooo!?

Right now its really between PAFA n Cranbrook. Currently the cost is comparable after awards.

Definitely CalArts! I just finished talking with a Calarts student and had two chats with Lorraine Wild (I love her!!! She's a Yale graduate herself and one of the few designers that also write and actively involved with design practice and education). I get a VERY good impression for the faculty and the program overall. Lorraine also offers a list of visiting designers for my notes. I am just DAZZLED by that gorgeous list! They share with RISD and Yale many of designers on that list. And student along with the faculty worked out that list of visiting designers so you can rest assured that you can have a chance to invite the designers you admire. MICA is also an amazing program. Ellen and Jennifer is doing a lot to make sure that the students is provided with the best resources. But to me CalArts is the closest to where I want to study design in the first place. In my humble opinion, they allow more room for experimentation and exploration compared to the other 2 programs you mentioned here (I may be wrong). I don't know much about SVA so I'd better not make any comments.

Congrats on your acceptances! Give CalArts a careful thought. If you have more questions about any one of the programs, I think the faculties will be more than pleased to connect you with their current student like what Lorraine Wild did for me.

@savantarde / I'm kind of unsure if I should share this info with you but if you're going to SAIC, I should probably let you know this just for your own notes. Lorraine Wild told me she didn't think it's a good program, they had some applicants from SAIC's post-bac program in the past few years and she said the faculty at CalArts was under impressed with their work. A post-bac program is supposed to prep students for MFA applications and if what she said is true, there may be something wrong with SAIC's program. You can also notice that they have minimal connections, shares minimal resources with other good programs like MICA, Yale, RISD and CalArts, and graphic design community isn't a big one to be honest.

So Jestem, does that mean you are going to CalArts and not Yale? You sound really excited about CalArts :)

Hi everybody, Im in VT at the VSC (its amazing! so glad I came) it feels like its been so long, missed y'all!

So I got into Cranbrook painting!!! Ahhhh!! Am flying out on Monday, have to decide quick. This is great but makin life complicated (it would be easier if the choice were made for me, not that I really want it to be). In the midst of what can only be described as a bidding war tween NYAA and PAFA, while MSU is giving me all it can and MICA still in the wings.

What should I dooooo!?

Right now its really between PAFA n Cranbrook. Currently the cost is comparable after awards.

Go to Cranbrook. I live in Philadelphia right now, my boyfriends mother went to PAFA- and two of my old coworkers got their MFAs there (both hated it//regretted being in debt to them). I have been to many PAFA events with said mother and have just been so underwhelmed with the community I have met there, either snobby boisterous and full of themselves, classic/traditional painters who are clueless about talking about contemporary art, or very shy and underwhelming students who didn't seem to have great focus. Of course, you could get these students in any program.

There are a few exceptions to why PAFA is great: I think they have some nice ties if you want to stay in Philadelphia- there is certainly a whole array of alumni living in the city and my friend who went there undergrad had many of his pieces from his senior show purchased by alumni. There is a strong community, and good support. mostly based in Philadelphia. The museum is great, but its really reliving the hey-day of PAFA, which in my opinion has come and gone.

My big disclaimer to my own PAFA-hating is this, If you want to paint the figure, and oils- this is the place to get some of the most technical training available of any program I have seen. Their faculty are true chemists as far as pigments and oil painting and can offer you advice to really use the best materials out there to get the most out of your paintings. If you are looking for this background, and don't have it- PAFA is your school. However if you are interested in more modern, alternative, conceptual painting. You are not going to be pleased with the level of critique and conversation you will be finding in the community here- something Cranbrook will truly offer you a whole education and experience in. Which is why my two friends had such discouraging experiences.

However, overall I think their program is very skewed towards specific technical training (their undergrad offerings are almost entirely based around the figure), and while the MFA program is more open as far as what you are painting and what the students are making, and much less traditional- the faculty simply will not hold up if you are interested in experimenting and pushing forward conceptually.

Ok, So I am almost done hearing back from all of my schools...still waiting on UCI. I called them and they said that the decision should be made by the 15th. Is there anyone that was actually accepted into the MFA art program? I know there were a few rejections BUT I am wondering now that I am on an unofficial waiting list (just like last year, they are SO incredibly unprofessional!) Also, I never interviewed with Columbia but I know some people have gotten in recently...have people been rejected because I haven't heard anything??? annoying.

also: what are people's thoughts on SVA vs Calarts for MFA Art.

Hi - I was admitted to UCI MFA, and my deadline for notifying them as to my decision is April 15th. Do you by chance know the size of their program? I know you asked me previously, I work in mixed media and will most likely be attending another program.

So Jestem, does that mean you are going to CalArts and not Yale? You sound really excited about CalArts :)

I really like CalArts' program and the faculty but I think I'll still go to Yale. They have almost all the designers I've been dreaming of working with at Yale.

I was just saying among the 3 programs Suzie is decideing, I'll definitely go to CalArts :]

I really like CalArts' program and the faculty but I think I'll still go to Yale. They have almost all the designers I've been dreaming of working with at Yale.

I was just saying among the 3 programs Suzie is decideing, I'll definitely go to CalArts :]

Ohhhhhhh. So I will see you at Yale then. :)

Hi - I was admitted to UCI MFA, and my deadline for notifying them as to my decision is April 15th. Do you by chance know the size of their program? I know you asked me previously, I work in mixed media and will most likely be attending another program.

Their three-year program runs about 5-6 students per year, if I recall correctly (I did my UG there).

Corrected: 10 per year.

Edited by grad_wannabe

well then, that explains it...I am on the waiting list once again. when I called they said that I should know around the 15th. Of course they don't have the guts to actually call or email the waitlisters to let them know their status. So I guess I will find out when the dust settles and students decide (10 spots a year). I will probably not go there (if I get in), I got into Calarts and I'm pretty excited about it... But it would be nice to be accepted for more options.