2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

@rama:

I got an email from ICP-Bard this past Friday saying that they would be sending out admissions decisions this week. I had an interview at MassArt last Wednesday, but it wasn't clear when they were going to be sending decisions....I'm hoping for ICP myself. Good luck to you!

Congratulations, SophiaB! That's amazing! What are you going for?

I sent out my deposit to RISD! I feel excited and terrified at the idea of moving the other side of the country. I visited in person last week, and I was so incredibly impressed with the art, the buildings, and how much people seemed to care. Anyone else going to RISD?

<br />Congratulations, SophiaB! That's amazing! What are you going for? <br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Digital Media...it is pretty much the perfect program for someone like me. I'm so happy!

@rama:

I got an email from ICP-Bard this past Friday saying that they would be sending out admissions decisions this week. I had an interview at MassArt last Wednesday, but it wasn't clear when they were going to be sending decisions....I'm hoping for ICP myself. Good luck to you!

I interviewed in March at both these places an have been offered a place at both. I am trying to decide between the two.

Is anyone else trying to negotiate the Pratt system??

I received a two sentence letter saying I've been placed on their waitlist and now, after being passed around their phone tree, no one will tell me where I stand on the list. Today the vis arts chair returned my call (on my answering machine) and said they can not give me any information until May 1st. This seems inconsiderately late to me, especially in the wake of other offers and an April 15th deadline.

Does anyone know anything about Pratt's waiting list? Is it long? short? Is it broken into concentrations or is it a general "visual arts" list, since it seems they do not divide their students into designated programs?

I'm not sure what to do, as I've been offered a full ride at Tennessee and don't want to risk loosing that opportunity by playing my chances with Pratt's big unknown.

This whole process is such a gamble!!!

I am also on the waitlist for Pratt as of today. I got a two sentence email with the same May 1 timing and will get a written letter in the postal service. Does it make sense to call them or write them an email expressing interest in the program again? Or is better just to leave it alone and hope for the best?

@ littlemels

Did you interview for the MFA or the post -bac in Massarts? I interviewed for MFA in both Massarts and ICP-Bard. Its such a tough decision to choose between the two. At the moment I am more inclined towards massarts because of the faculty and the lecturers and also the oppourtunity work with other departments. I am still waiting to hear from ICP about the scholarship with out which it would be too hard for me. What are your thoughts on the programs?

@rama

You do have a hard choice! I interviewed for the post-bacc at MassArt. I live in Boston presently but I don't think this city or the school is a good fit for me. The faculty and lecture series is quite impressive, but the chance to go to New York and drop anchor there for a while is once in a lifetime. Even when I asked at my MassArt interview what they liked about Boston, it was that there's a decent photo scene that's still close to NY. So...the best thing about Boston is the NY proximity ;) I think the interdisciplinary opportunities class-wise are clearly better at MassArt, but then again the chair of the ICP MFA, Nayland Blake, is an interdisciplinary artist. So I don't see you being punished at ICP for branching out.

I think it depends heavily on what you think about Boston as a city. Does it inspire you? Do you do work in-studio so that the city where you live doesn't matter as much? The MassArt scholarship is a huge advantage, but if you can squeeze good aid from ICP keep in mind that Boston is really not significantly cheaper or any more livable than New York.

has anyone officially been accepted to columbia? i interviewed last week for the new genres department and haven't heard a thing. Anyone know what last year's response times were like?

I was accepted a while back for painting.

I actually just declined their offer today. It was really, really hard, but going there I would have ended up 90K in debt & I just couldn't do that. I really was expecting more aid, which I guess was kind of silly. I also said no to CalArts :(

That being said I finally accepted my place at UCSD! I really do think it was the best decision I could make to maintain my own sanity & quality of life. It was one of the hardest decisions I've had to make, and I am so glad it is all over!

I was accepted a while back for painting.

I actually just declined their offer today. It was really, really hard, but going there I would have ended up 90K in debt & I just couldn't do that. I really was expecting more aid, which I guess was kind of silly. I also said no to CalArts :(

That being said I finally accepted my place at UCSD! I really do think it was the best decision I could make to maintain my own sanity & quality of life. It was one of the hardest decisions I've had to make, and I am so glad it is all over!

I fully support your decision. I know it had to be tough. I think you'll have a wonderful grad experience. UCSD has been on the rise for a decade now. You should be stoked to be going there for free.

CONGRATS!! I keep hearing great things about that program.

Hi!

Accepted: MFa, Fine arts

Parsons (w funding)

SVA

Rejected

NYU

Columbia ?? Don't know yet (Does that mean a No??)

I'm going to Parsons :) After a loong and hard decision, I'm going to Parsons, I didn't get a good vibe from SVA, the only thing that I liked was that Polly Apfelbaum is a teacher, but everything else is better at Parsons (theory, interdisciplinary focus, studios, facilities, scholarships, and a faculty group genuinely interested in students!)

Tomorrow I'm turning down my SVA spot.

:)

Hi!

Accepted: MFa, Fine arts

Parsons (w funding)

SVA

Rejected

NYU

Columbia ?? Don't know yet (Does that mean a No??)

I'm going to Parsons :) After a loong and hard decision, I'm going to Parsons, I didn't get a good vibe from SVA, the only thing that I liked was that Polly Apfelbaum is a teacher, but everything else is better at Parsons (theory, interdisciplinary focus, studios, facilities, scholarships, and a faculty group genuinely interested in students!)

Tomorrow I'm turning down my SVA spot.

:)

Curious how the non-state school funding had been this year. How does SVA compare to Parsons, for example....

Columbia seems to have interviewed and made their choices - they asked accepted candidates to reply to them by this Friday. Unfortunately I don't have any information about their wait-list.

Edited by MZZB

My friend got waitlisted at RISD as well, for ceramics but I don't think she liked the facilities. I am trying to convince her that if she gets in, she should really go or at least think about it a little more. It seems like a lot of the people who got waitlisted are on this thread! I will have to inform her about everybody's posts!

@rama

You do have a hard choice! I interviewed for the post-bacc at MassArt. I live in Boston presently but I don't think this city or the school is a good fit for me. The faculty and lecture series is quite impressive, but the chance to go to New York and drop anchor there for a while is once in a lifetime. Even when I asked at my MassArt interview what they liked about Boston, it was that there's a decent photo scene that's still close to NY. So...the best thing about Boston is the NY proximity ;) I think the interdisciplinary opportunities class-wise are clearly better at MassArt, but then again the chair of the ICP MFA, Nayland Blake, is an interdisciplinary artist. So I don't see you being punished at ICP for branching out.

I think it depends heavily on what you think about Boston as a city. Does it inspire you? Do you do work in-studio so that the city where you live doesn't matter as much? The MassArt scholarship is a huge advantage, but if you can squeeze good aid from ICP keep in mind that Boston is really not significantly cheaper or any more livable than New York.

Hm...its getting tougher by the minute. As far as the city is concerned I am not from the US and although I have traveled and sporadically lived in NYC for a few months in the last year I am open to the idea of being in Boston. I am giving the school and the faculty a bit more weightage than the city.

I sent out my deposit to RISD! I feel excited and terrified at the idea of moving the other side of the country. I visited in person last week, and I was so incredibly impressed with the art, the buildings, and how much people seemed to care. Anyone else going to RISD?

Me! What department are you in? I'm painting!

Congrats!

i sent in my deposit to RISD this week for sculpture and they said 4 out of the seven had accepted. And for those wondering the dean did say that they number the waitlisters- they try to put together a "class" but it is tiered. Good luck everyone!