2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

Hello, I'm curious for some opinions to these programs I have been accepted to.

What are your thoughts on:

NYU ITP *15k scholarship

SVA Computer Art

Pratt Digital Arts

I am predominantly interested in continuing to transition my photography towards a venue, online, that can incorporate motion and interaction. That and refining my programming and 3D design skills.

Thanks.

Does anyone know what happens to a scholarship if the person it was offered to doesn't take it?

I'm specifically asking about the 15k NYU Tisch scholarship for ITP - it seems a few people were offered who may not take it. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

Go to Cranbrook. I live in Philadelphia right now, my boyfriends mother went to PAFA- and two of my old coworkers got their MFAs there (both hated it//regretted being in debt to them). I have been to many PAFA events with said mother and have just been so underwhelmed with the community I have met there, either snobby boisterous and full of themselves, classic/traditional painters who are clueless about talking about contemporary art, or very shy and underwhelming students who didn't seem to have great focus. Of course, you could get these students in any program.

There are a few exceptions to why PAFA is great: I think they have some nice ties if you want to stay in Philadelphia- there is certainly a whole array of alumni living in the city and my friend who went there undergrad had many of his pieces from his senior show purchased by alumni. There is a strong community, and good support. mostly based in Philadelphia. The museum is great, but its really reliving the hey-day of PAFA, which in my opinion has come and gone.

My big disclaimer to my own PAFA-hating is this, If you want to paint the figure, and oils- this is the place to get some of the most technical training available of any program I have seen. Their faculty are true chemists as far as pigments and oil painting and can offer you advice to really use the best materials out there to get the most out of your paintings. If you are looking for this background, and don't have it- PAFA is your school. However if you are interested in more modern, alternative, conceptual painting. You are not going to be pleased with the level of critique and conversation you will be finding in the community here- something Cranbrook will truly offer you a whole education and experience in. Which is why my two friends had such discouraging experiences.

However, overall I think their program is very skewed towards specific technical training (their undergrad offerings are almost entirely based around the figure), and while the MFA program is more open as far as what you are painting and what the students are making, and much less traditional- the faculty simply will not hold up if you are interested in experimenting and pushing forward conceptually.

Thanks so much for the input, thats very helpful. Most folks here at VSC seem to say its a no brainer: Cranbrook. I visit Monday, hopefully it will be obvious. They are two extremely different programs, but I feel either could suit me well. Why am I always so damned polarized? alwways one extreme or another and generally both.

@lilnova: thanks also for having a an opinion, and for being such an active member of our little community. Ive enjoyed your posts throughout.

PAFA just uped the ante, I pretty sure I being offered as much as theyve ever offered anyone. This is amazing. My advice to all: ASK FOR MORE MONEY!! Really cant hurt and it works! its a lot easier than I thought. every school Ive asked has increased their award and the programs I tried to decline have also come back with revised financial packages and asked me to reconsider. If anyone wants help in how to approach/word this stuff, I will be happy to fwd emails along, apparently Im doing ok at it.

Anybody else? PAFA or Cranbrook for painting?

Thanks so much for the input, thats very helpful. Most folks here at VSC seem to say its a no brainer: Cranbrook. I visit Monday, hopefully it will be obvious. They are two extremely different programs, but I feel either could suit me well. Why am I always so damned polarized? alwways one extreme or another and generally both.

@lilnova: thanks also for having a an opinion, and for being such an active member of our little community. Ive enjoyed your posts throughout.

PAFA just uped the ante, I pretty sure I being offered as much as theyve ever offered anyone. This is amazing. My advice to all: ASK FOR MORE MONEY!! Really cant hurt and it works! its a lot easier than I thought. every school Ive asked has increased their award and the programs I tried to decline have also come back with revised financial packages and asked me to reconsider. If anyone wants help in how to approach/word this stuff, I will be happy to fwd emails along, apparently Im doing ok at it.

I would love to see the emails you wrote! I am trying to decide between Pratt and Otis for MFA fine art. If anyone has any insight into either program, I would love to hear opinions. Otis gave me a 5k merit scholarship. Thanks everyone for the all of your wonderful posts!

Yes I would love some advice on how to do this. I really really want to attend CCA but I really need MORE funding. What is a tactful way of going about this? I am about to write an honest and heartfelt letter explaining my financial disposition. The deadline for INtent to Enroll is the 15th of April and The deadline to accept the financial aid package is May 1st. Any advice would help. Thanks and Congrats on your successes!

I have somewhat of a similar situation. I've gotten accepted into the programs I've applied too, which is great. I have decided on two programs (Yale and SAIC) and have been going back and fourth on them but am leaning towards Yale. Well, yesterday a professor from SAIC called me to asked about my graduate school application. He then proceeded to tell me that he heard I was accepted into Yale and wanted to know my thoughts about where I want to go. I told him, that I had a wonderful time at SAIC and am having hard time deciding where to attend. He then proceeded to ask me if I received the scholarship letter that was sent to me. I said yes and he said he talked to the dean of the school and was prepare to get me more funding and that about 95% of my funding would be paid for if I decide to go to SAIC. I was a bit annoyed that he knew I got accepted to Yale and that he didn't remember where we met but found the gesture quite flattering.

My question is, can I go to Yale to subtly ask them to match the funding I got from SAIC.

I really do wish Yale would come after me as hard as SAIC has. It would make the decision all that much easier.

I have somewhat of a similar situation. I've gotten accepted into the programs I've applied too, which is great. I have decided on two programs (Yale and SAIC) and have been going back and fourth on them but am leaning towards Yale. Well, yesterday a professor from SAIC called me to asked about my graduate school application. He then proceeded to tell me that he heard I was accepted into Yale and wanted to know my thoughts about where I want to go. I told him, that I had a wonderful time at SAIC and am having hard time deciding where to attend. He then proceeded to ask me if I received the scholarship letter that was sent to me. I said yes and he said he talked to the dean of the school and was prepare to get me more funding and that about 95% of my funding would be paid for if I decide to go to SAIC. I was a bit annoyed that he knew I got accepted to Yale and that he didn't remember where we met but found the gesture quite flattering.

My question is, can I go to Yale to subtly ask them to match the funding I got from SAIC.

I really do wish Yale would come after me as hard as SAIC has. It would make the decision all that much easier.

I also got into Yale (painting) and am for sure going there. Yale doesn't offer students money to buy them like other schools do, their scholarships are need based only. However most students get a scholarship from what I understand. Also tuition is 30K, where most of the big MFA programs are 40K+. Im still waiting for my financial aid package to come, but I know they're sending them out next week. I would also seriously consider where you want to stay after grad school; new york or chicago. good luck!

@spaced and santa: I will msg you with copies of the letters

@yale acceptance: I think call and tell yale your situation, especially cause you honestly prefer them. "Yale is definetly my first choice but finances are an important factor in my decision. SAIC has offered me a very generous funding package... is there any flexibility..." something like that. Might not feel great but you are in the position of power now, they cannot repeal their acceptance so again nothhing to lose. Just be as nice as possible, worst case they say no.

has anyone heard from the nyu studio art program that interviewed?

to add to the string, here is my list

applied:

calarts

ucla

usc

yale

nyu

columbia

cornell

rijks

rejected:

ucla

usc

columbia

interviews:

nyu (havent heard yet)

yale (rejected)

calarts (accepted)

cornell (accepted)

I also got into Yale (painting) and am for sure going there. Yale doesn't offer students money to buy them like other schools do, their scholarships are need based only. However most students get a scholarship from what I understand. Also tuition is 30K, where most of the big MFA programs are 40K+. Im still waiting for my financial aid package to come, but I know they're sending them out next week. I would also seriously consider where you want to stay after grad school; new york or chicago. good luck!

Not so sure that where you get your MFA dictates where you stay to make your career. Also I don't think schools "buy" students. The students buy the degree, whether it's thirty or forty (the price of course varies based on a number of factors).

has anyone heard from the nyu studio art program that interviewed?

to add to the string, here is my list

applied:

calarts

ucla

usc

yale

nyu

columbia

cornell

rijks

rejected:

ucla

usc

columbia

interviews:

nyu (havent heard yet)

yale (rejected)

calarts (accepted)

cornell (accepted)

I haven't heard back from the NYU interview yet. But they replied to my e-mail that we should hear something this coming week.

@kmc88: People are telling me I would be a fool if I didn't attend Yale. I think ultimately I will come back to MN, I love both Chicago and NYC but home is in MN and we have a great artist community (amazingball photographers i.e. Alec Soth, David Goldes, Katherine Turczan) here that I would really love to be apart of.

@michaelwesbester: is SAIC calling you?

@james: Thank you for the advice. I'm going to do that first thing Monday morning.

@mnchick: I left Miami and will be attending school in Baltimore. I live in DC. I still show alot in Miami and consider myself a Miami artist. Just because you go to school in Connecticut doesn't mean you won't still be able to be apart of that MN community. smile.gif If anything, you are enriching and diversifying that scene with your new experiences. (Maybe even moving back and teaching there like you said...) Luis Gispert lives in Brooklyn and teaches at UPenn I heard, but that guy is straight up Miami. He still shows alot here.

Edited by littlenova

Not so sure that where you get your MFA dictates where you stay to make your career. Also I don't think schools "buy" students. The students buy the degree, whether it's thirty or forty (the price of course varies based on a number of factors).

I respectfully disagree on both counts.

Where you go to grad school is where you make your connections and networks. Though it doesn't strictly dictate the choices you make after school, it does bode strongly for where opportunities will be the richest, and thus heavily influences where you will be building your career.

Grad schools absolutely buy students. There are only a handful of "top" students that the big programs all want and will compete for. Mnchick's experience is a perfect illustration of that: SAIC heard she got into Yale, so they increased their financial offer in order to woo her to their school. They (SAIC) saw competition for the product they want (mnchick) so they increased their bid. That's the definition of a bidding war. That's buying a student.

@kmc88: People are telling me I would be a fool if I didn't attend Yale. I think ultimately I will come back to MN, I love both Chicago and NYC but home is in MN and we have a great artist community (amazingball photographers i.e. Alec Soth, David Goldes, Katherine Turczan) here that I would really love to be apart of.

@michaelwesbester: is SAIC calling you?

@james: Thank you for the advice. I'm going to do that first thing Monday morning.

Nope, it seems like the sculpture dept has a pretty set income, only the one free ride. Any other aid that goes to MFA students is based on need and comes from the school, not the dept. Or at least thats what they are telling us all. They just found out about my offer from UNC, but UNC is no Yale, so I dont expect a raise in aid.

I respectfully disagree on both counts.

Where you go to grad school is where you make your connections and networks. Though it doesn't strictly dictate the choices you make after school, it does bode strongly for where opportunities will be the richest, and thus heavily influences where you will be building your career.

Grad schools absolutely buy students. There are only a handful of "top" students that the big programs all want and will compete for. Mnchick's experience is a perfect illustration of that: SAIC heard she got into Yale, so they increased their financial offer in order to woo her to their school. They (SAIC) saw competition for the product they want (mnchick) so they increased their bid. That's the definition of a bidding war. That's buying a student.

Hi grad_wannabe --- I think you're absolutely right in what you said about one's place of study and the influence that it will have on future connections. I'm thinking that the situation is not as black and white as it had been described: it's not as though one's place of study would dictate his or her location after graduating. For instance, not all SAIC alums stay in Chicago, same for RISD and Providence. On the topic of buying students, I just can't get behind the language being used. If all of the top schools were paying us to get our MFAs, and if we went to the top bidder without any agency in the matter, then I would agree that we've been purchased. But in this circumstance, schools are lowering the amount of money that some people pay to get the degree and it's part of a more complicated equation in which the student decides among a variety of factors. True, costs are lowered competitively, but I wouldn't call it a meat market just yet.

Edited by Tim Riggins

Ok, So I am almost done hearing back from all of my schools...still waiting on UCI. I called them and they said that the decision should be made by the 15th. Is there anyone that was actually accepted into the MFA art program? I know there were a few rejections BUT I am wondering now that I am on an unofficial waiting list (just like last year, they are SO incredibly unprofessional!) Also, I never interviewed with Columbia but I know some people have gotten in recently...have people been rejected because I haven't heard anything??? annoying.

Maybe it's just that not many of us on this bulletin board have applied to Columbia but I've read/heard very little. I've not heard back from them, they're the last school I'm waiting to hear from and it's rather annoying. I've read of two rejections so far in this thread and one interview.

Anyone, anything from Columbia? Do they maintain some kind of waitlist wherein they don't contact potential students until absolutely certain?? Maybe they're waiting until their first picks make a decision...

Maybe it's just that not many of us on this bulletin board have applied to Columbia but I've read/heard very little. I've not heard back from them, they're the last school I'm waiting to hear from and it's rather annoying. I've read of two rejections so far in this thread and one interview.

Anyone, anything from Columbia? Do they maintain some kind of waitlist wherein they don't contact potential students until absolutely certain?? Maybe they're waiting until their first picks make a decision...

Columbia seems to have interviewed and made their choices - they asked accepted candidates to reply to them by this Friday. Unfortunately I don't have any information about their wait-list.

I sent out my deposit to RISD! I feel excited and terrified at the idea of moving the other side of the country.  I visited in person last week, and I was so incredibly impressed with the art, the buildings, and how much people seemed to care. Anyone else going to RISD?

Edited by sophiab