2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

@ElizabethBrown: i don't know if it's for every department but for photo it seems to be. seeing that jestem, received an email from the department chair, i wonder if all the rejects are getting their letters on thursday. i knew it was too good to be true. i'm planning a pity party and you all are invited.

Is anyone else going for a TA interview at UW Madison?

I feel like a dummy because I got confused and thought my interview was Apr 16, but then I got a reminder yesterday and noticed it's scheduled for the 6th! Just worked out my flight & travel details, but have no idea where to start in preparing their requests of a sample course outline and answers to qs about my teaching philosophy, etc. Does anybody have any advice?

Also, to update since my last post:

got a rejection letter from RISD on saturday

now, just waiting to get a rejection from Columbia in the mail (no interview, so I'm assuming); also waiting to see if my alternate status at MICA Hoffberger changes, and eventually to see if I get this TAship at Madison

Just got an email from the RISD admissions office.

Letters have been mailed - they should come in the next few days depending on how far you live from RI.

Good luck to everyone!

Eliz, are you talking about yes/no letters based on last week's interviews?

Anyone recieved an aid letter from CCA yet?

I e-mailed CCA regarding financial aid awards and received this response...

"You will be awarded shortly, as we are currently in the process of awarding all transfer students. Once you have been awarded, you can print off a copy of your award letter on your WebAdvisor account. This would be the quickest way to manage your Financial Aid.

http://www.cca.edu/about/administration/webadvisor"

I was accepted for the second-degree program for Industrial Design BFA (already have an BA in Architecture).

When I got my email from RISD they said all final selections for the painting program had been mailed already. They asked if I didn't want to wait for the letter they could email me the results. I did not get in. Good luck to everyone - if you get antsy I guess you can email or call the office.

I've called columbia and heard the same nonsense - yes, they let people in without interviews into the school of arts - but NOT in the fine arts department. And unfortunately, if you're waitlisted - you'd be waitlisted from the group of people they selected for interviews. If you haven't heard by now, it's most assuredly a rejection. It blows. This is my *third* time applying.

My scores this year

rej:

yale (photo)

columbia (photo)

bard (although the letter said I was "too advanced and had progressed too far" for their program. (photo)

Very, very frustrating. My third year applying to schools. I got into the RCA last year, but had to decline due to cost. I had a piece in the new museum and was awarded several grants this year, but I can't even score an interview at a single north american institution. Go figure. Don't know if I'll try again for a fourth year. Very disheartened.

i understand how you feel in some ways and want to commiserate and tell you that this whole grad school thing is a big mafia charade. last year i had two solo shows and 9 group shows, including a museum show, across 4 countries. and so far i've been rejected from several programs that i considered to be my 'safety' schools...

in several of my interviews i was asked if i was going to be 'teachable'. and maybe that's kind of the point that they're making. you know, maybe bard is right, maybe you have gone too far already. it begs the question: 'why are you applying to grad school'?

maybe it's for the best.

Is anyone else trying to negotiate the Pratt system??

I received a two sentence letter saying I've been placed on their waitlist and now, after being passed around their phone tree, no one will tell me where I stand on the list. Today the vis arts chair returned my call (on my answering machine) and said they can not give me any information until May 1st. This seems inconsiderately late to me, especially in the wake of other offers and an April 15th deadline.

Does anyone know anything about Pratt's waiting list? Is it long? short? Is it broken into concentrations or is it a general "visual arts" list, since it seems they do not divide their students into designated programs?

I'm not sure what to do, as I've been offered a full ride at Tennessee and don't want to risk loosing that opportunity by playing my chances with Pratt's big unknown.

This whole process is such a gamble!!!

so glad I found this board.

So far I received rejections from Bard and Yale. Still waiting for RISD, but reading here, it sounds like the news (most likely bad) will come this week. Guess that means

reworking my portfolio for next year.

All Apps for Painting.

Update:

Rejected:

Pratt

SVA ( today via snail mail in SF)

NYU

MICA

RISD ( no letter yet but no interview)

Columbia ( no letter yet but no word - which I take as a no)

Waitlisted:

Parsons

Interview:

Yale - still waiting to hear

I don't quite understand how I got an interview at Yale and was rejected from EVERYWHERE else. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Something kinda similar happened to me. I applied to 8 schools:

SAIC

CALARTS

UCLA

UW(Seattle)

Hunter

Yale

Columbia

Slade(Uk)

The only place I got an interview/accepted was Slade. I heard from them really early on(didn't think I had a chance) so was excited thinking I'd get interviews at other schools as well. Ha! I didn't even get into my 'safe' school. The only school I haven't heard back from yet is Columbia and it seems they're just slow at sending out rej letters. It would have been nice to have a choice...however, I'm just really happy that I got into one of my top choices and am going to accept it as fate. :)

Getting an interview at Yale is a big deal! I hope you get in. It just seems that no matter how schools rank etc, in the end there are so many different factors that affect the outcome, you just never know.

Edited by ATumble

for painting....

Got into hunter! Got an amazing voicemail last night from a professor.

Still waiting on UT Austin, RISD. (interviewed last week at RISD)

Congratulations. Thanks for posting.

Has anyone else heard from Hunter?

I received my funding info from MIT last week: I've been awarded a Graduate Department Fellowship, including 100% tuition waiver and a monthly stipend.

It's been agonizing making this decision, but I'm going with MIT.

I called Charlie White this morning and relinquished my spot at USC. Possibly the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

@gradwannabe: You are a rock star!!!! cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif Congrats...I bet you are floating. I can understand how hard it must have been to turn down Charlie White! I had a similar thing happen to me a few days ago when I had to tell art-genius Timothy Druckery that I was taking the summer program at MICA instead of working with him. It wasn't even a funding decision...It was just about what program would be best for my kind of work.

I saved his email like a geek, though. lol.....

I had an Interview at Columbia painting department on Thursday but I did not hear a thing since than. I was wandering if anyone got accepted? somehow I feel like I got rejected. I think they will call me by now. what about waiting list? anyone?

anyone here anything from massart? i interviewed thursday, thought it went well and keep holding my breath for a phone call from a boston area code.... =X!!

I received a phone call last thursday saying that I got in for photo.

Which department did you apply for?

I received a phone call last thursday saying that I got in for photo.

Which department did you apply for?

2d!! oh goodness, my friend who also interviewed hasnt heard anything either so i assume photo has it together a little better/faster =)

well anyway- congrats!! massart photo is amazing, abe morell is a fantastic teacher.

2d!! oh goodness, my friend who also interviewed hasnt heard anything either so i assume photo has it together a little better/faster =)

well anyway- congrats!! massart photo is amazing, abe morell is a fantastic teacher.

Thanks!!;)

Every department is different from the other but just to let you know I waited a week to receive the call.

Good luck!